Zoo Station: best opening song to a U2 show?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpaceBoy

War Child
Whether you were actually there or viewed it on a television screen after the fact (or both), did it not give you goosebumps when Bono started hopping to Larry's stomping beat in front of a giant screen blazing with blue static? It's one of those things that just switches me on whenever I see it. It's no big, driving rock song, but still conveys a kind of energy that tells you you're about to go on some kind of wild ride. Great tune, great opener.

Last edited:
bono against that blue screen kicking... thats iconic!
its literally burnt in my brain :D:

Zoo Station was an awesome opener, but it doesn't beat Streets, the best opener ever played.

I think Zoo Station was an amazing opener ( far better than Mofo and Elevation, for example ).

Despite Where The Streets was an amazing opener during Joshua Tree and Lovetown Tour, I think also was so great during probably best middle part show ever U2 performed:

Bullet The Blue Sky- Running To Stand Still- Where The Streets Have No Name :bow:

those 3 linked songs are pure perfection, but also Please - Where The Streets Have No Name was great ;) ( listen Santiago, Chile Linked version )

I really want to listen that Running To Stand Still - Where The Streets Have No Name again :yes:

Last edited:
For some reason I always loved the Zoo Station intro. It really set the mood for ZooTV. I enjoy Mofo as well.

Zoo Station just blew my mind the first time I saw it performed. The kicking against that static backdrop was one of U2's most daring and exciting live creations. The anticipation before a Zoo TV show was such an amazing and intense feeling - like you are about to have all of your senses bombarded at once by this onslaught of media.

That was The Fly at his finest and I'm sure many of us miss those days.

AJ

I think it's one of U2's worst openers actually (except for the Boy and October tours) . I just don't think it's a very good song. It's better live, but still not exceptional.

digsy said:
bono against that blue screen kicking... thats iconic!
its literally burnt in my brain :D:

I totally agree with this....gee when I saw this concert back in November 93, I had been anticipating the show so much. I had become a major fan, had been tracking the shows via the british magazines 'Q' and 'Select', so I had a good idea as to what was going to happen and on the back of my bedroom door I had a 'countdown to U2' where I marked of the days....I could not wait for this show and that first image of Bono in the left hand corner and the noise of the intro to Zoo station was just unbelievable. I love zoo station, definately one of my favourite songs from AB and a great opener to that show:wink:

Zoo was a great opening song.

But I agree with the others here that say Streets was the best opener. I also think Mofo was a better opener as well. So for me Zoo would be the third best opener of a tour.

Streets is better when they play it towards the end of the show, anticipation. Elevation was a great opener, equal to Zoo Station.

i'd put them in this order

1) Streets
2) Zoo
3) EL-LAY-VAY-SHUN!
4) Mofo
5) The Early Days stuff

Zoo Station is my number one, combined with the whole Zoo TV opening sequence. I think Streets works better later in the show, those magical merges into the opening of Streets... Go watch your Boston DVD again. How good is that Bad/40/Streets?!? Now go watch your Zoo TV video again. I'd open my ultimate U2 concert with the Zoo TV kick off.

Funny this comes up as Zoo Station and Ultra Violet are sounding as if one of them needs to be brought to the stage in the 21st Century....they sound very good stacked up against newer material

Ultraviolet might be coming back!? Ultraviolet is my favorite U2 song ever. Edge, don't toy with my emotions like this! :D

The Edge said:
Funny this comes up as Zoo Station and Ultra Violet are sounding as if one of them needs to be brought to the stage in the 21st Century....they sound very good stacked up against new material

Hell Yes!! Can't wait!

madonna's child said:
Ultraviolet might be coming back!? Ultraviolet is my favorite U2 song ever. Edge, don't toy with my emotions like this! :D

It is rehearsing quite well! That can be said...it would be a good fit this time out

Wow. I just about die when I hear Ultraviolet on the ZooTV video (which by the way needs to be put on DVD very soon).

Hearing Ultraviolet would knock my socks off. So many songs from the vault seem to be coming up as possible tour songs.

P.S. - What about God Part II?:)

U2Fan101 said:
Wow. I just about die when I hear Ultraviolet on the ZooTV video (which by the way needs to be put on DVD very soon).

Hearing Ultraviolet would knock my socks off. So many songs from the vault seem to be coming up as possible tour songs.

P.S. - What about God Part II?:)

Just about anything is possible...at this point..

Oh, I adore Running to Stand Still, too. The Zoo TV version with Bono's "acting" and what not was so moving.

Okay, now I'm going to send Edge subliminal messages that they should bring back 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. ;)

madonna's child said:
Oh, I adore Running to Stand Still, too. The Zoo TV version with Bono's "acting" and what not was so moving.

Okay, now I'm going to send Edge subliminal messages that they should bring back 11 O'Clock Tick Tock. ;)

Tick Tock was played just last tour!:wink:

I liked what the Stones did on their last tour where the fans voted on songs to be played, and the Stones did it. (Erm, I think it was the Stones.) They did some website voting thing before each show, and the top 2 songs or something like that were played as the "random tunes" or something.

Maybe U2 can follow suit:)

Back
Top Bottom