Yet another attack on Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting Alice Cooper factoids....

* In a book written by one of David Bowie's former managers, he says that Bowie during the early '70s watched Alice's career very closely. Bowie was apparently insanely jealous of Alice because Alice was so much more popular. Bowie saw Alice as his main competition and this former manager claimed that Bowie made the public claim to be gay because he wanted to out-shock Alice. He goes on to write that Bowie told Alice "to become a TV star" out of jealousy to try to get him off the music scene.

* Hello Hooray opened the Billion Dollar Babies album and the stage shows of The Alice Cooper Group in '73. It was a cover suggested by producer Bob Ezrin, and a song written by Canadian Rolf Kempf originally for '60s folksinger Judy Collins. Alice Cooper's version was also the first single U2's Bono ever bought.

Flying FuManchu said:
Interesting Alice Cooper factoids....

* In a book written by one of David Bowie's former managers, he says that Bowie during the early '70s watched Alice's career very closely. Bowie was apparently insanely jealous of Alice because Alice was so much more popular. Bowie saw Alice as his main competition and this former manager claimed that Bowie made the public claim to be gay because he wanted to out-shock Alice. He goes on to write that Bowie told Alice "to become a TV star" out of jealousy to try to get him off the music scene.

* Hello Hooray opened the Billion Dollar Babies album and the stage shows of The Alice Cooper Group in '73. It was a cover suggested by producer Bob Ezrin, and a song written by Canadian Rolf Kempf originally for '60s folksinger Judy Collins. Alice Cooper's version was also the first single U2's Bono ever bought.
Very interesting stuff. :hmm:

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
Alice cooper?
:lol:

Oh man.
AT LEAST many of you dont live in ARIZONA where he's on every single arizona-related commercial.

:eyebrow: since he lives here. :lol:

wait, so Alice is pimping Arizona?! (scary...i'd been thinking it would be good to move there, my allergies to everything growing in michigan being as nasty as they are)
I must say, I don't get how it would be okay to 'promote' arizona, which is what I assume you mean he's doing, and not okay to 'promote' changing the world in a positive way.
Rock n' roll and politics have *always* been related, haven't they? The idea that rock is or should be only about jerking off in leather pants is ridiculous, no?
If the point is that these celebs who slag off on bono and geldof and others believe they do this work for "attention", then it's sort of a weird claim to know their motives. Or maybe they have some evidence that it helps their bottom-lines somehow, a sort of advertising?! If they think it's just that for instance bono's "ego" requires that he be trying to save the planet, I'm thinking he might not get much argument from bono. In contrast, apparently, Alice's "ego" requires that he complain publicly about others trying to save the planet and compels him to do strange things with snakes on stages, and maybe feed said creatures to people in arizona (I'm guessing it's on his menu, am I right?! or is it not an extreme eats kinda place?)
I find it odd also that rock n' rollers would somehow imply that politicians are due deference and respect to the point that other 'types' of citizens stay out of their affairs?! Or are these comments more about cynicism and urging those who have some volume due to their celebrity to just shut up because what's the point? Or do they think everything just works best when we leave the 'experts' to fix things, a sort of stay-in-your-place anti-populist position? Who does that Bono think he is to tell off a politician? Why does Geldof think anybody cares what he would like to see happen? In a way, then, because they're famous or because they're rock stars they have *less* right to try and rally support for action they see as needed, politically, ethically?
It's a strange irony to claim that it's 'egotistical' to focus on something other than oneself, no?
Just shut up and sell tourism or french fries? Most of these recent anti-bono comments come off as just catty, really, not principled, I think.

cheers all!

U2 addict said:
Just read this at @u2.com-

"To me, that's treason," Cooper told a press agency, "I call it treason against rock 'n' roll because rock is the antithesis of politics. Rock should never be in bed with politics ... If you're listening to a rock star in order to get information on who to vote for," he went on, "you're a bigger moron than they are. Why are we rock stars? Because we're morons. We sleep all day, we play music and very rarely do we sit around reading the Washington Journal ."

well, bono was actually an "asshole" with politicians in the past.........remember the phone calls during zoo tv? remember the open attack against chirac because of the atomic tests? now, he's, unfortunately, becoming a best friend of many politicians, and that's not good, and i agree with cooper when he says rock is the antithesis of politcs.....................but if alice cooper comes and says, "we're rock stars because we sleep all day" it's just a description of his OWN lifestyle, and of many others like him. rock and roll, like the whole music, should give a message to people, a message to do something, not just to sit down, have a few beers, some joints, 3-4 girls, and alice cooper's cd going on .............now, this is bullshit! he's a moron, i don't want to be a moron!

i disagree with that writer above...i don't see bono as becoming 'best friends' with politicians...can anyone give me examples of him chumming it up in a *real* way with these guys? He's getting photographed with them shaking hands at times, trying to get them to promise aid or trade reform, and as he's said promising to say they done good if they come thru and say they done shite if they don't. Unfortunately, short of populist revolution, you gotta work with the dudes in power and just telethoning for dollars won't make structural changes. Revolutions get bloody, so instead of advocating that, or just standing by, bono's choosing to get his own hands slimed with politician palms for his causes. Maybe he actually also respects some of them for being 'civil servants' (that's a term that doesn't reflect reality these days...wonder if it ever did?) instead of corporate chiefs. Attempting to lead and organize is admirable isn't it, or at least it used to be before everything was about money. More likely he and his mates retain the zooTV cynicism about politicians, still think almost all of them are assholes, hate the neo-con warmongers and nuclear maniacs and so on, but are keeping mostly quiet on all that because they see this fucking emergency in africa and decided that it was worth putting the muzzle on as best they could for now and focus instead on what could be *done* about that, making friends of potential obstacles. So there's bono, lobbying with just his rockstar sunglasses and peace signs for the media, on behalf of africa and aids and ending extreme poverty, vs. the corporate lobbyists for the sugar farmers or the textile conglomerates with their campaign contribution checks. Those corporate lobbyists pretend to be friends of whomever will do their bidding, and threaten politicians with withdrawal of support if they don't. Bono is merely trying to do the same, smiling nice and letting some of his rockstar cool rub off on the pols if they do his bidding and threatening to kick their butts if they don't. DIfference is that bono's pockets don't get filled if the pols do his bidding and indeed he has instead to withstand the kind of crap press he gets and the real risk to his band's 'street cred' as rocknrollers. Living with that sort of contradiction is the trickier path; instead of choosing do I get to be a rockstar or try and save the planet he decided to do both! it is indeed hugely ambitious, and I guess maybe that's what Alice is railing against, that sort of ambition.

Last edited:
ShellBeThere said:

wait, so Alice is pimping Arizona?! (scary...i'd been thinking it would be good to move there, my allergies to everything growing in michigan being as nasty as they are)
I must say, I don't get how it would be okay to 'promote' arizona, which is what I assume you mean he's doing, and not okay to 'promote' changing the world in a positive way.
Rock n' roll and politics have *always* been related, haven't they? The idea that rock is or should be only about jerking off in leather pants is ridiculous, no?
If the point is that these celebs who slag off on bono and geldof and others believe they do this work for "attention", then it's sort of a weird claim to know their motives. Or maybe they have some evidence that it helps their bottom-lines somehow, a sort of advertising?! If they think it's just that for instance bono's "ego" requires that he be trying to save the planet, I'm thinking he might not get much argument from bono. In contrast, apparently, Alice's "ego" requires that he complain publicly about others trying to save the planet and compels him to do strange things with snakes on stages, and maybe feed said creatures to people in arizona (I'm guessing it's on his menu, am I right?! or is it not an extreme eats kinda place?)
I find it odd also that rock n' rollers would somehow imply that politicians are due deference and respect to the point that other 'types' of citizens stay out of their affairs?! Or are these comments more about cynicism and urging those who have some volume due to their celebrity to just shut up because what's the point? Or do they think everything just works best when we leave the 'experts' to fix things, a sort of stay-in-your-place anti-populist position? Who does that Bono think he is to tell off a politician? Why does Geldof think anybody cares what he would like to see happen? In a way, then, because they're famous or because they're rock stars they have *less* right to try and rally support for action they see as needed, politically, ethically?
It's a strange irony to claim that it's 'egotistical' to focus on something other than oneself, no?
Just shut up and sell tourism or french fries? Most of these recent anti-bono comments come off as just catty, really, not principled, I think.

cheers all!

He's in commercials about golf..about lawyers
I dont mind. Usually. But for "Arizona Federal" they are some of the dumbest commercials ever.

I remember watching something on VH1 (can't exactly remember what it was) where Alice Cooper did praise Edge's guitar on Streets for its uniqueness.

But he's still a dumbass when it comes to his opinion about rock music and politics remaining separate. And I'm not just saying that because he attacked Bono.

Bono's shades said:
I remember watching something on VH1 (can't exactly remember what it was) where Alice Cooper did praise Edge's guitar on Streets for its uniqueness.

But he's still a dumbass when it comes to his opinion about rock music and politics remaining separate. And I'm not just saying that because he attacked Bono.
:yes:
I love the 80's.
[87]
:up:

"There are some people who say you shouldn't mix music and politics..." many of you know the rest. ;)

Larry: All the sex and drugs in rock is so old, so boring, and so pretentious. I suppose some people think you have to go along with that old image to be a legitimate rock 'n' roller, but why should we pretend? If you actually met a lot of big name rock 'n' roll bands as human beings, you find they're a lot straighter than you think. It's a big game, and we don't play it. People can make up their own minds about U2.

Personally I like music to have more depth, but that's just me.

Last edited:
who cares if alice likes U2 or whatever. Bono is one of the easiest targets around and if alice wants to know who gave bob and bono permission to go to scotland to plead there case then he should take a look at the millions of names on the petition. i do think Bob is crazy though and i don't agree with his guilt method either. i think bono is to smart to be standing next to bob when he rants. it makes bono look bad. like at the final push concert.

alice cooper is great but i think he is a jerk for this. he thinks he knows what there motives are and that is as big a joke as anything. if you like alice cooper or not i think we can all agree that bono is doing a great job with this. or maybe we can't

john (rotten) lydon is great as well but lets face it he is a wanker and no one should listen to him. ha ha. i think he is just bitter. what did you expect him to say?

seen Bowie, seen Alice...can't compare...Bowie is it!
I know, not really what the thread is about, but couldn't help meself!

ShellBeThere said:

Take it from somebody who lives in Arizona: it's not worth it. The people who moved here back in the 60s and 70s brought their plants with them, so there are a lot of unhealthy, non-indigenous plants pumping out lots of pollen, as well as the native pollens, molds, fungus, and tons of dust and pollution. Oh, and don't forget the 100º + heat that starts in April and lasts until Thanksgiving. :yuck:

Back OT, I have to wonder if Alice wasn't being a bit tongue-in-cheek. He's more than a little cheeky on his radio show. And frankly, Bono's the same way. He'll say something totally smart-assed and people will take it as his actual opinion.

Sue DeNym said:

Take it from somebody who lives in Arizona: it's not worth it. The people who moved here back in the 60s and 70s brought their plants with them, so there are a lot of unhealthy, non-indigenous plants pumping out lots of pollen, as well as the native pollens, molds, fungus, and tons of dust and pollution. Oh, and don't forget the 100º + heat that starts in April and lasts until Thanksgiving. :yuck:

Back OT, I have to wonder if Alice wasn't being a bit tongue-in-cheek. He's more than a little cheeky on his radio show. And frankly, Bono's the same way. He'll say something totally smart-assed and people will take it as his actual opinion.

:lol: I agree in a way, but I live in Mesa & the pollen & pollution doesn't seem to be all that bad over here. & Alot of people have been moving to Gilbert [ round-a-bouts of where I live ] supposidly.

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
:lol: I agree in a way, but I live in Mesa & the pollen & pollution doesn't seem to be all that bad over here. & Alot of people have been moving to Gilbert [ round-a-bouts of where I live ] supposidly.

I used to live in West Mesa, near the Tempe border. It wasn't quite so polluted there as in Central Phoenix where I am now, that is true. But if enough people move out there, it will be polluted, what with everybody commuting to work in Downtown Phoenix and our lack of a decent mass transit system. :(

Back
Top Bottom