Yet another attack on Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i thought geldof sounded like a wanker when he told martin he shouldn't come to scottland if he wasn't prepared to meet his terms.

what a child. even i don't sound so pathetic on these message boards...even the conservative press here in canada ragged on geldof/bono for their stupid demands.

know who your allies are, guys...martin is one of them. don't piss on him.

and best of all...they did this right when martin was getting hammered over adscam. talk about kicking a "friend" when he's down.

i agree completely with geldof and bono, however, it's 7ust that i think their whole campaign needs to new faces. bono needs to step aside and let someone else take over.

doctorwho said:

Oh, and I want to add that Bono *does* have a right to say he's going to "kick ass". The Prime Minister of Canada has no problems using Bono's celebrity to help him gain his office. So if anyone can kick the Prime Minister's ass, it is Bono. .

No sentient being voted for Paul Martin because of Bono. In fact, if you read most editorials here around the election, they were mocking the relationship.

I like Bono and his work on Africa and I did not vote for Paul Martin. I'm not some kind of idiot who does what Bono instructs. Instead I voted for a more leftist party which reflected my beliefs more closely.

Now I know a lot of U2 fans here who voted and not a single one of them was swayed by Bono either way. I can't believe that Joe Schmoe on the street gave a flying f*ck about him either, to be honest.

:shrug:

anitram said:

No sentient being voted for Paul Martin because of Bono. In fact, if you read most editorials here around the election, they were mocking the relationship.

I like Bono and his work on Africa and I did not vote for Paul Martin. I'm not some kind of idiot who does what Bono instructs. Instead I voted for a more leftist party which reflected my beliefs more closely.

Now I know a lot of U2 fans here who voted and not a single one of them was swayed by Bono either way. I can't believe that Joe Schmoe on the street gave a flying f*ck about him either, to be honest.

:shrug:

commie!!!!!!!!!

TheBrazilianFly said:

I know this is a bit off topic but has Alice Cooper ever said something about U2?

Yes. I seem to remember him being very complimentary to "Streets" and Edge's guitar playing.

But, hey, he said something bad bout Bono, so now he's "old" and his music "sucks" and "what has he ever done for charity?"

Musicians see this problem in more humanitarian way. Dropping the debt of the poorest countries, raising money to support AIDS vaccine development, fighting to provide proper medical treatment and vaccination to african children, fighting agains hunger and illness among african population - these are all very good things and worth fighting for. BUT.

Politicians see those things from different angle. They know perfectly well that Africa (central part) is a very sensitive place. Tension is very high in many countries: there are constant conflicts between different groups, clans and tribes. Those conflicts sometimes were (and still are) extremely violent and caused a lot of deaths. And we are litteraly talking about henocide here. Needless to say that it is simply impossible to fairly distribute money and humanitarian aid in such situation. Any involvemt of external party (be it Red Cross or UN Peacemakers)might cause further bloodshed. That's why US and Europe would rather not get involved in this.

Another thing which might be in politicians minds: will we (meaning "western civilization") really profit if Africa becomes wealthy, established and modern?

Johnny Rotten joins in:

Gigwise reports: The ex-Sex Pistol anarchist, who has hardly spoken in public in the last eighteent months, finally opened his trap and did some serious slagging off today…. Lydon is pissed off with old chum Bob Geldof for hinting that the Pistols would be playing Live 8: "Our names were touted around. And it looks like we turned it down. But the truth is I wasn't asked."

"I don't know what shock value he was trying to get by mentioning us. But I'm glad. It was a very shoddy and weak production anyway…And there weren't enough black faces in the show for my liking. I don't think it achieved anything. Bob Geldof is too self-serving."

He added to the Sun newspaper: "I don't like this attitude of trying to guilt us into doing something. That's the terror tactics of the Nazi party."

Continuing: "Every time I see Bono in those big fly glasses and tight leather pants I just can't hack it. I can't see that as solving the world's problems."

"He's crushing his testicles in tight trousers for world peace.

I love Sex Pistols, but they are absolutely don't fit to LIVE8.

As for testicles remark - :lol: :laugh: :lmao:

The celebrity *silly season* has **definately** begun...:wink:

...I've got to say, though, that people should try to not get so "bent out of shape" about these kind of comments...it's not like Bono & Bob are going to listen to them anyway!:cool:

Last edited:
Axver said:
Johnny Rotten, you're more than ten years late.

That's what I was thinking. Maybe the article has a misprint. Maybe the article was meaning to say years instead of months since he last spoke a word.:huh:

indra said:

Oh, and the dog in your avatar is the cutest dog ever!

( :shifty: ...don't tell my Zekie dog I said that.... :ohmy: )

Is this a Zekie dog?

zekie2.jpg

anitram said:

You have NO idea if this is true or not. In the U.S., half the country and half the press mocked Bush - yet he still won a second term. Don't underestimate the power of the extra TV time Bono brought Martin. It kept Martin on people's radars and that may have been all he needed.

But really, the point is moot - Martin took full advantage of Bono's celebrity and during his campaign he promised certain amounts of $$. While Canada is indeed generous, the promised amounts aren't happening. As such, I do feel Bono - if anyone - has a right to make those comments. Bono supported Martin - even if indirectly - while Martin said he'd pledge money. Now that Martin has won, suddenly that pledge is not happening. Bono has a right to be angry.

But I guess it's better to be a wanker and complain about how celebrities abuse their fame by trying to help others... far better to behave like a reckless rock star or do nothing.

MrBrau1 said:

Yes. I seem to remember him being very complimentary to "Streets" and Edge's guitar playing.

But, hey, he said something bad bout Bono, so now he's "old" and his music "sucks" and "what has he ever done for charity?"

Unless you can prove that comment about "Streets", it's just conjecture.

But more importantly, why state ANYTHING about Bono? Why have comments appearing in the press criticizing Bono for trying to help an entire continent of people? If Cooper can criticize, so can we. And people like me never said anything about Cooper's age or music (some of which I like very much). It's the fact that he felt the need to say something. What's better? To do nothing or to try to alert the world to a very serious problem? Throwing some $$ silently at a problem, as Crowe suggests, won't solve the crisis in Africa. Crowe's idea works great for the victims of Katrina (in the U.S.) who probably need $$ more than anything else. But Africa needs a LOT more than $$.

U2ElevatesMe415 said:
Alice cooper?
:lol:

Oh man.
AT LEAST many of you dont live in ARIZONA where he's on every single arizona-related commercial.

:eyebrow: since he lives here. :lol:

I feel for you hon :uhoh: Does he have a resturant or a bar there, I think I heard that somewhere :huh:

Back
Top Bottom