WTF moments?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gman

New Yorker
Having been an avid fan for all of u2's career, there has been a lot of times, upon release of new material and on first listening, I have thought, this is the end!!
This was mainly down to (more so in the pre ATYCLB days) to the complete re-routing of their sound.
For example, first time i heard Please, my thoughts were, I hate this.....what are they doing? Another being Stuck In A Moment. On first few listens, it sounded like some tacky 80s, uk tv prog theme.
Happily both really grew on me and to this day, Please has become among my top 5 most favorite u2 tracks.
The other side of the coin was Zoo Station...I had same thoughts, ie.........WHAT THE **** is this about??, but it was in a good way and has remained a well liked tune.

Anyone else had these moments?

I wouldn't exactly classify it as a WTF moment...but more of a surprise.

As teenagers, my sister would always irritate me by playing her stereo really loud. One day, I was so annoyed that I stormed out of my room and yelled at her to town the music down because I didn't want to hear the crap that she listened to.

Her response?

"I just thought you'd want to hear the new U2 song!"

Yep, I was hearing their new single "Discotheque" for the first time.

Oops.

that was my reaction when i heard discotheque for the first time too.

it's still my reaction.

Discotheque got a big 'lol, wut?' from me when I first heard it, but in a good way.

Same thing happened with the video. Cept in caps.

Achtung, Baby got a huge WTF? from me.
When I first started listening to U2, I had HTDAAB, The Joshua Tree, and the 80-90's Best Of. So my dad gave me his copy of Achtung, Baby, when I first put it on I thought, "is this even the same band?"

I actually had no WTF moments when I heard Achtung Baby the first time. Pop gave me a few moments though. I had heard Discotheque from The Best Of but Mofo was a huge curve ball for me. I just mostly thought "Um...okay...what's this supposed to be?" I didn't really get Mofo, Last Night on Earth, Do You Feel Loved?, or Please for a while. Now I like every song from Pop except for Miami.

Bono smoking in "The Fly" video. Granted, the music sounded like it was from another galaxy compared to "The Joshua Tree" or "Rattle and Hum," but the real grind with me was Bono smoking in the video. Maybe he had before, but I'd never seend him-

DO YOU KNOW WHAT THAT DOES TO YOUR VOICE, BONO??

Please knock it off! :eyebrow:

listening to Miami i was like WTF??? what happened were they drunk or high when the wrote it

Im still like this today

:wink: Oh my God! Mine Has to be when I saw the video for "ONE" with those buffalos! I thought..'they're just going to Have to put a disclaimer for all those animal rights activits!' And, Lol, another one for all those who just don't have a clue who this is!':lmao: Disclaimer:...'this IS a U2 video!'! lol:ohmy:

Back
Top Bottom