would flag-waving bono of 1983 or the fly have accepted a british knighthood?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The British monarchy are figureheads with no real power in government. Why can't anyone see that Bono should accept this because he is Irish...rub the Brits faces in it. You know...you can oppress the Irish for 800 years and we'll still stand up and do good things in spite of the British! It is an honor that Bono will only use to focus on his work in Africa and that is a good thing

Galeongirl said:
I don't understand why accepting a reward for the things you've done means supporting the monarchy....

well, let's look at it the other way around then. if you were against the idea of monarchy, would you be 'honoured' by receiving their accolades, and would you proudly wear their titles?

accepting knighthood is actually to become a part of the monarchy.

U2Man said:

well, let's look at it the other way around then. if you were against the idea of monarchy, would you be 'honoured' by receiving their accolades, and would you proudly wear their titles?

accepting knighthood is actually to become a part of the monarchy.

you could proudly wear their titles to show everybody that you don't have to agree with what they say in order to be honoured for doing good....

Celticfc said:

I could argue all day about the politics and the brits but it will be a waste of time.

I'm Irish (born and brought up near Dublin) but my wife and both my children are British. That's why I'm saying your are a complete, and bigoted, twat.

Move on. :banghead: :banghead:

Galeongirl said:

you could proudly wear their titles to show everybody that you don't have to agree with what they say in order to be honoured for doing good....

the royal family doesn't say anything. they've got nothing but symbolic value. but i don't get why bono wants to be part of that. it symbolizes everything that bono is supposed to be against.

U2Man said:

the royal family doesn't say anything. they've got nothing but symbolic value. but i don't get why bono wants to be part of that. it symbolizes everything that bono is supposed to be against.

But it gives him a little more political power, and that is what he's aiming for...

Galeongirl said:

But it gives him a little more political power, and that is what he's aiming for...

yeah that's what I said in 1st place , it pays off

so handing in your highest and most precious ideals and principles for a tiny bit of political power is OK? :eyebrow:

Surely, things have changed in U2-world.

anyway, i'm not sure how this accolade gives him any political power.

Last edited:
I don't think Bono is worried about outdated symbols. The only symbol that really matters to him now is CoeXisT.

(I don't think he is handing in his personal ideals or principals, he's just accepting an honor that is being bestowed upon him for his tireless work for the poor)

Last edited:
Flag waving Bono or The Fly wouldn't even get nominated.

Also this is the neutral, no-sides Bono, not Irish version of Braveheart. I don't recall him making anti monarchy statements or bashing the UK-Irish history (by that logic, he should have rejected the French medal thing he got a while ago due to Britain-France history). And I don't see how he's a part of the monarchy by getting a tap on the shoulder and a medal.

bonocomet said:

(I don't think he is handing in his personal ideals or principals, he's just accepting an honor that is being bestowed upon him for his tireless work for the poor)

Yeah , and in the end of the day it's not like I as a south American , and someone offering me a honour comin from Pinochet or coming from Mr. War President

Chill out people a bit

That would be the anti IRA speech on SBS, and the S. Francisco SF/Sinn Fein rant. He is not refererring to the monarchy.

"There is but one flag and this is not a rebel song" remember?

U2girl said:
Flag waving Bono or The Fly wouldn't even get nominated.

Also this is the neutral, no-sides Bono, not Irish version of Braveheart. I don't recall him making anti monarchy statements or bashing the UK-Irish history (by that logic, he should have rejected the French medal thing he got a while ago due to Britain-France history). And I don't see how he's a part of the monarchy by getting a tap on the shoulder and a medal.

actually 'knight' means servant. a servant of the monarchy.

U2girl said:
That would be the anti IRA speech on SBS, and the S. Francisco SF/Sinn Fein rant. He is not refererring to the monarchy.

"There is but one flag and this is not a rebel song" remember?

No , before Sunday , the speech before Sunday

Yep, he's a slave to the royal family. The 3283797th in line for the throne. Prince of Ireland!

And "knight" here means a prestigious award, not the knighthood in the original sense. Just as "monarchy" in UK has virtually zero real power, as opposed to the monarchies back in the day.

roy said:

I'm Irish (born and brought up near Dublin) but my wife and both my children are British. That's why I'm saying your are a complete, and bigoted, twat.

Move on. :banghead: :banghead:

hmmmm twat bigot. Ive been called worse. Now if u called me a west brit like u that would hurt.

U2girl said:
Yep, he's a slave to the royal family. The 3283797th in line for the throne. Prince of Ireland!

And "knight" here means a prestigious award, not the knighthood in the original sense. Just as "monarchy" in UK has virtually zero real power, as opposed to the monarchies back in the day.

they still symbolize the same thing.

and bono is ALL about symbolism.

and a knight is a knight, even if it's only symbolic nowadays.

Last edited:
J_NP said:

No , before Sunday , the speech before Sunday

:huh: He's ranting against the IRA attack that happened the day before.

From Wikipedia : The most notorious incident was the Remembrance Day Bombing in 1987 which left eleven people dead following the detonation of a Provisional Irish Republican Army time bomb.

U2Man said:

they still symbolize the same thing.

and bono is ALL about symbolism.

and a knight is a knight, even if it's only symbolic nowadays.

:huh: Sure.

There u go u2 girl :

Thanks to good u2wanderer , who avoided me from going to find my dvd

"Well here we are, the Irish in America
The Irish have been coming to america for years
Going back to the great famine, when the irisih were on the run from starvation
And a british government that couldn't care less
"

:up: Out of context quotes, here's the whole speech, and think of the "revolution" rant later in the song too.

"Well here we are, the Irish in America
The Irish have been coming to america for years
Going back to the great fmaine, when the irisih were on the run from starvation
And a british government that couldn't care less
Right up to today you know,
There are more Irish inmmigrants here in America today than ever
Some illegal, some legel
A lot of them are just running from, high unemployment
Some run from the troubles in Northern Ireland
From the hatreed of the h-blocks, and torture
Others from wild acts of terrorism
Like we had today in a town called Inniskillin
Where 11 people lie dead many more injured
On a sunday bloody sunday..."

Where does he attack the monarchy again?

Last edited:
i cannot see how the rest of the speak changes the fact that bono critisizes the british government here.

U2girl said:
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
. I don't recall him making anti monarchy statements or bashing the UK-Irish history

Watch Rattle and Hum

U2girl said:
Government, he didn't say "monarchy" or "queen/king" or "royalty" etc.

Way to play semantics. The king/queen is the head of state, so that criticism does cover the royal family.

bonocomet said:
I don't think Bono is worried about outdated symbols. The only symbol that really matters to him now is CoeXisT.

And I repeat, repeat, repeat it again, He will use this in some form or another to benefit his efforts in Africa. I do believe he said, I would sleep with the devil in order to get things done. i'm not putting exact quotes but I believe it was along those words.

Galeongirl said:

I've never understood this logic. Do you really expect governments to give any more aid just because Bono is now knighted. :confused: :confused:

How does this ridiculous position give him any more political power over democratic governments? :scratch:

roy said:

:up: If this makes anyone stop listening to U2, they're not going to miss you.

roy said:

:up: :up: :up:

Human beings create more problems than they need by putting so much damn importance in symbols, ideas, and made-up meanings. Get over it and enjoy each other as people. If you want to honor someone for what they've done, please do. If you're going to let some made up symbolism throw a stick up your ass, your loss.

Back
Top Bottom