With or Without You

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

I Move in Mysterious Ways

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
A friend and I were talking about this, and we were wondering if anyone has any idea when the last time was that Bono was able to nail this song? By that, I mean let it out and hit all the notes (which he obviously couldn't do today). It seemed too hard to tell if he could at Zoo TV (with that weird MacPhisto version) and like he just couldn't (or wouldn't) at Popmart. By Elevation, it was pretty clear that he'd lost his ability to sing it the way he used to.

Probably since Tokyo, December 10, 1993. The MacPhisto's version was weird? I think this was more special, loose and without extra sounds. Vocally, Bono was unable to sing the high notes of WOWY ( and Sunday Bloody Sunday or Pride ) in most of PopMart nights and in Elevation Tour mmmm :huh: :huh:

Vox!!

They have also "tuned down" most of those older songs so they are in a lower key when they do them live. This is the only way Bono can sing them properly now. The drawback is the songs live (especially Pride) don't have the power they once did.... I am not knocking them, many bands do this to spare their singers voice.

I know that @U2.com rated Rattle and Hum's version of it as the best ever done, and it's easy to see why when you watch or listen to it. In fact, I'd say that Rattle and Hum has the best version ever done of Pride as well (since that was mentioned).

Although I have a sentimental attachment to the studio version of WOWY (it was the first U2 song I ever heard), the Rattle and Hum version is INCREDIBLE! Just thinking about it makes me want to go watch R&H right now...

I've notice that "I Will Follow" compared to previous tours is on the Elevation tour, tuned up and faster. When they did the brief fade in on the Larry King Live show, the best version was from the Elevation tour.

Incredible versions of WOWY :

San Francisco, April 25, 1987
Dublin, June 27, 1987

R&H version, like all shows filmed by U2, was very "standard".

Vox

I definitely disagree. Check the list from @U2.com (they made several top 10 lists). While I believe one (or both) of the shows you mentioned was on there, Rattle and Hum's was number one, and for good reason.

The R and H version may have been "standard" (for the Joshua Tree tour maybe) BUT everyone loves it because it was filmed so well. It is a historical piece, we can revisit it over and over.

Play the R & H DVD on a 52" HDTV thru a 500 watt digital sound system (my christmas list LOL) and their is NOTHING standard about it!

I thought that WOWY on the Boston DVD was pretty damn powerful. Bono's twisting and writhing on the stage along with his cracking voice made the song even more unbearably heartbreaking. It honestly sounds like he's dying by the time he hits the "Oaaaaaahhhh...." part. Perhaps in this case the image enhanced the song, but imagery goes along with the whole of the performance.

kariatari said:
It honestly sounds like he's dying by the time he hits the "Oaaaaaahhhh...." part.

That appealed to you?!

Okay, so I know where you're coming from; I think the Sarajevo concert is a lot more emotional because Bono had to struggle to sing. I like the version of "With or Without You" from that night best for the same reason you like the version on the Boston DVD. Still, the vocals are stronger in Sarajevo than in Boston, which doesn't flatter that performance.

I actually don't particularly like the version on WOWY on the R and H movie. One of my favourites, oddly enough, is the PopMart Mexico City version.

I sort of like the crackiness . . .

my favorite is live on zootv from giants stadium august 1992.

edge plays a guitar solo at the end!!!!!:ohmy: :edge:

Oh my god:huh:

R&H version, PopMart version, DVD Boston version... only official versions? In many many many joshua nights, lovetown nights and zoo nights Bono made an impressive vesions of WOWY!! Please download Dublin 6-27-1987... :D:D:D

I like WOWY then, now and probably in the future. I appreciate Bono's voice in all of it's different, splendid ways.

While we are on the subject of WOWY, I have a question about this live mp3 that I got from somewhere - it is an AWESOME recording of WOWY. The sound is sooo good. Bono sounds great and Larry does an an exceptional job with the drooming. Towards the end, Bono starts singing about stars shining. Does anyone know what I'm talking about and when and where this song was recorded?

The "shine stars" snippet ( and Love Will Tear Is Apart snippet ) appears in almost every WOWY since 1987 to 1992.

I repeat... Dublin 87!! 2 snippets and 7 minutes!!

Vox

The one that was referred to was almost undoubtably the Rattle and Hum version, and I'm doubly sure if it had the title of, "best live version ever" attached to the MP3. It's pretty common. By contrast, I haven't seen the Dublin show floating around hardly at all.

Vox02 said:
The "shine stars" snippet ( and Love Will Tear Is Apart snippet ) appears in almost every WOWY since 1987 to 1992.

I repeat... Dublin 87!! 2 snippets and 7 minutes!!

Vox

*FTPs* is there an exact date?

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

*FTPs* is there an exact date?

I think it's June 27 in Croke Park, Dublin, but I might be wrong. I have it on a bootleg and it indeed sounds great. Another great version is the very first time they played it on 4 April 1987. That one also included Love Will Tear Us Apart.

C ya!

Marty

Another great version is the very first time they played it on 4 April 1987

A teacher of mine in high school was at the first two shows on the Joshua Tree tour, at Sun Devil Stadium (which includes that show mentioned above). Bono lost his voice due to getting a novacaine shot the day before the first show, and they pushed the second show back a day because of it. I guess he recovered quickly :).

I think what makes the R & H movie version so great for most people is that its being played faster then it should be. That goes for anything on the movie version. The faster playback raises the pitch from the standard live C# to D.
I like WOWY best during Zoo TV when Larry still kicked in with his drums halfway instead of near the end and Edge included a guitarsolo. It was supposed to be the highlight of the encore before Love is blindness closed the set. WOWY lost its edge when they remade it into the version for Australia and Japan. The Popmart version is based on that and as an encore highlight is was supplanted by One. In the final Elevation leg it had become so unimportant that it was left out and you didn't even notice it was gone. Which is sad because if well played it can be such a powerfull and stiring song.

I think what makes the R & H movie version so great for most people is that its being played faster then it should be. That goes for anything on the movie version. The faster playback raises the pitch from the standard live C# to D.

I don't really understand what you mean. The song is still in played in C#. Making the tempo of the song faster would not change the key, the beats per minute would just be faster. The album version is in D, and as with every live song, everything is tuned down a half step, so that would make the song in C#. Please explain more if you meant something else.

JOFO said:
my favorite is live on zootv from giants stadium august 1992.

edge plays a guitar solo at the end!!!!!:ohmy: :edge:

WHAT?!?!?! but...but...wasn't the whole point of the end of WOWY the fact that there WASN'T a huge guitar solo??

hmph...this is one of my favourite songs, i don't think it's ever "lost it's edge" or been ruined by whatever notes bono can or can't hit now...oh well, just my opinion, not trying to make anyone angry here...

How many others have heard WOWY from Dublin in 1998? It's a nice version of it, and seems a bit more sentimental than usual. It follows the R&H structure (almost to the second), but isn't quite the same.

Back
Top Bottom