Wild Irish Rose = Salley Gardens?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mirrorball Girl

Refugee
When I was in Dublin, I heard a band in a pub play a song that sounded really similar to Wild Irish Rose. This confused me, and I looked it up when I got home. Sure enough, the rhythm and lyrics bear a striking resemblance to each other, especially the middle verse of Salley Gardens:

In a field down by the river, my love and I did stand
And on my leaning shoulder, she laid her snow-white hand.
She bid me take life easy, as the grass grows on the weirs
But I was young and foolish, and now I'm full of tears.

Compared to:

In a field by a river, my love and I did lie
And on my naked shoulder, she too proud to cry
She said that I must leave her, an icy tear she froze
How could I melt the heart, of a Wild Irish Rose

Obviously this must have been intentional, but I was just surprised that I had never heard about it before. Did everyone else know this? Was it just me who was clueless? I was wondering what the purpose of using a similar structure and lyrics was. Part of "subverting" the traditional image of Ireland? Hmmmmm.

------------------
"The minute anybody starts telling you what God thinks, or exactly why he does such and such, beware. People should never try to make God in man's image, and that's what they're constantly doing." - Madeleine L'Engle, 1963

"Some of my best friends are women. Some of my best friends dress up as women too." - Bono, Hot Press interview

"don't give up, you've got the music in you..."

wow i noticed that when i was studying yeats and brought it up on zootopia cool, i agree too
biggrin.gif

Oh, cool! I just thought it was a traditional song. But it's actually inspired by a Yeats poem? That's really neat. It makes more sense to me now, I think.

Originally posted by Mirrorball Girl:
Oh, cool! I just thought it was a traditional song. But it's actually inspired by a Yeats poem? That's really neat. It makes more sense to me now, I think.

down by the salley gardens is by yeats and when i saw the wild irish roe lyrics i seen the resemblence...and bono is a yeats fan isnt he?

Yes, that song is William Butler Yeats.I posted it in DOL a while back. Its one of my fave poems.
Bono is a Yeats fan, so its really no surprise. He draws from a lot of literature.
Shadows and Tall Trees is taken from The Lord of the FLies.
"looking for the face I had before the world was made" aint his either.

Back
Top Bottom