Which song would you sacrifice for a U2 commercial??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

snutes1

Acrobat
Amazingly, U2 have not given permission to use any of their songs for a commercial for a product (I do not count iPOD, any ESPN promos or Olympic use of Beautiful day). I'm talking about a real commercial like the Who being used for car commercials, etc.

So if U2 was in need of some cash and approached you to choose a song for a commercial what song would you use?

I would use Big Girls are Best for Pull up diapers :wink:

or Are you gonna wait forever as in are you gonna wait forever for that elusive trip to Jamaica. :camera:

Other than that I would cringe of using another song except maybe

Bass Trap which is the worst song ever recorded in the U2 catalog.

Miami for an all-inclusive trip to that wonderful place, or Wild Honey for something I really dislike.

Even Better Than The Real Thing was supposed to be used in a Coca Cola commercial back in '92

I hope this never ever happens because it's completely ruined my ability to take such songs seriously unless I was already familiar with them. There are so many songs I'd hear for toothpaste or some house cleaner or Ford Truck ad, and I just want to get away from them because they invoke the product; even if I can't remember the product, I know it was used to advertize something for me, and I think, "That's wasn't just written for the ad? That's an actual song?"

It will be the death of U2 if it does that. The Cure could get away with Pictures of You because I knew the song, no lyrics were used, The Cure is just cool, and Robert Smith had to agree to it to get back his back catalogue because it was wrongly sold to the record company without his notice.

It's even understandable for Mogwai or Moby because they can't get airplay anyway, but there's no excuse for a titan band like U2 to do this. The ESPN thing was shameful; I don't even get ESPN, but the greedy idea of it disgusts me. The only okay thing might be a political/social issue.

Radiohead's "All I Need" was nicely used to try to bring awareness to sweatshop conditions in developing countries:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdrCalO5BDs

Sorry guys, that ship has sailed...Vertigo/iPod certainly counts.

That said, Lemon as a jingle for anything that sucks is fine with me.

even better than the real thing, and stuck in a moment were both written as commercial jingles, so i think those would work the best.

Back
Top Bottom