What was your first album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BVS

Blue Crack Supplier
that you bought the day of release?

Not the first album you bought, but what was your first release date U2 album?

I was 16 owned everything U2 and AB was the first album that I knew was being released. I begged my folks for permission to go to the midnight sale, they said no, for I was 16 and in school.

But I snuck out with 2 other friends and bought it that night...a great memory.

BTW never got caught...

That would have to be "All That You..etc", just because by that time i had a car and money, so therefore I could purchase it at will. Zooropa was the first album I got that was somewhat new, yet it was a Xmas present and was out for a while. I was 11, whaddya want? And POP was the first new U2 album that I actually purchased myself, a couple months after release. Once again, no car...but i did have some mulah!!

AB. Mac and I were huge U2 fans and instant friends during freshman year of college. We got some dickhead from the lacrosse team, Jim? Bill? I forget, but he was a shit person, to drive us to the mall in Poughkeepsie 11/18/91.

Since then I've bought Zooropa, Pop, & ATYCLB at midnite sales. HTDAAB was a day purchase, as I had the album for a few weeks by the time it was released.

The internet may well kill the "Midnight Sale" phenom.

Last edited:
HTDAAB was the first one I got on release day. ATYCLB was already out for about three or four months before I bought it. I had the BD single before I got ATYCLB, though.

I guess Best-Of 80-90, if that counts. Counted down the days FOREVER because I couldn't wait for the B-Sides (this was before file sharing, obviously). I was in High School and I went to go get it that Tuesday at lunchtime with some friends. I had my CD walkman and I listened all I could through lunch and waited eagerly for the day to be over.

The first album of new material I bought was ATYCLB, though that may not count, either, because I bought it a couple days before the actual release. It wasn't quite as exciting, though, because I had already heard the album (thanks, U2log :wink: )

Rattle & Hum was my first U2 album, but I got it a good month or two after it was released.

Achtung I got the weekend of the week it was released.

Zooropa I can't remember, would have been within a few days.

Pop on the day, and I remember listening to it on a discman on my way to work, and walking around the block twice to take in a couple of the tracks again before going inside. I have a crystal clear memory of that morning.

For ATYCLB I was working in the music industry and got it a couple of weeks early.

HTDAAB on the day.

Who's got the earliest "Midnite Sale"? We know Boy and October didn't have "Midnite Sales."

Did it start with War? Or more likely "Joshua Tree"? or "R&H"?

ATYCLB. I became a fan a little after Pop was already released, so I definitely made sure to buy ATYCLB the day it came out.

Last edited:
MrBrau1 said:
Who's got the earliest "Midnite Sale"? We know Boy and October didn't have "Midnite Sales."

Did it start with War? Or more likely "Joshua Tree"? or "R&H"?

Damn, that's a good question. I'd guess War as well.

My first midnite sale was Pearl Jam-Vs. in Nov. 1993

Well, I had copies of JT and R&H inherited from my brother.
They were actually cassettes.

As I remember it, I recorded Achtung Baby off the radio (I was 16 and couldn't afford it myself) when they had the premiere.
And the 5th CD I ever owned was Achtung Baby which I think I got for Christmas 1991. So that doesn't really count. (My first 4 Cd's were from the Zeppelin box set)

Zooropa and the 3 that followed I got on the release day.
Zooropa, I heard on the radio before it came out as well and pit my shants when I heard Lemon.

Last edited:
U2DMfan said:

Damn, that's a good question. I'd guess War as well.

My first midnite sale was Pearl Jam-Vs. in Nov. 1993

Well, I had copies of JT and R&H inherited from my brother.
They were actually cassettes.

As I remember it, I recorded Achtung Baby off the radio (I was 16 and couldn't afford it myself) when they had the premiere.
And the 5th CD I ever owned was Achtung Baby which I think I got for Christmas 1991. So that doesn't really count. (My first 4 Cd's were from the Zeppelin box set)

Zooropa and the 3 that followed I got on the release day.
Zooropa, I heard on the radio before it came out as well and pit my shants when I heard Lemon.

You must be the same age as me!!
My brother bought me Achtung Baby the day it was released, but three years earlier I saved up my pocket money and bought Rattle and Hum on the first day it came out.

Well I bought the Rattle and Hum album as soon as it was released in Finland which back in 1988 meant a couple of months after the rest of the western world!! :wink: But by the time Achtung Baby was released I ordered before hand and got that on the day of it's release. :D

Not counting the Best of 1990-2000, that would be "Atomic Bomb."

I had the Beautiful Day single for awhile, but decided to dig into their back catalouge before jumping into ATYCLB. I got the best of 1980-90, War and October before getting ATYCLB.

Listen, regardless of how much I or anyone else poke fun at U2 on this forum, bash their recent work, or just joke about it...

There is a very special feeling when U2 releases something new, like when the new beach clips appeared initially. You stop being a sniper, and return to being a U2 fan with a child-like sense of amazement. It's like Christmas. I had that feeling when I went to the record store downtown and bought HTDAAB on day-of release. I listened to it immediately on the bus ride home while staring out the window at the orange streetlights and falling snow with COBL blasting in my ears.

Hopefully we can all feel the same way, for a short time anyway, sooner than later.

A new U2 release is the great equilizer between all U2 fans, regardless of era preference, at least for a short while. It's a wonderful time to be around the forums. Okay, let's all listen to Kite and make out.

B0006399FS.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Last edited:
Zooropa

I think when Achtung was released I got it a day later or something for some reason

Never did 'midnight sales', find them kind of weird and pointless. Best Of 80-90 would have been the first album I bought the day it was released, and ATYCLB the first new material album bought the day of (I had only heard snippets of songs before buying the album).

Actually I have a kind of funny story regarding ATYCLB's release day, which illustrates how obsessed we can be as fans! I was working on the release day, so I was going to go get it after work. It was a really important moment for me, being my first 'new' U2 album experience, and I had planned how I was going to listen to it the first time by myself etc.

The night before, a friend of mine came to pick me up, and as I was walking towards his car, I heard music that was strangely familiar but new at the same time... I got nervous, and then when I opened the door my friend was like "Come in quick! They're playing tracks from the new U2 album on the radio!" and I was like "Nooooooooooo!!!! Turn it off imediately! I'm not ready! It needs to be the whole thing at once, in a controlled environment!":wink: My friend thought I was weird but turned it off.

Then on the day of the release, I went to work being all excited about going to the store later on. I was working as a technician for a circus training studio, and I was in this massive training room with tons of people, directing a crew of guys working 40 feet in the air hanging lights. I was in the middle of telling them where to go next, with the plan in my hands, when I heard the first notes of BD on the PA... I thought "Fuck! I bet someone got the new album this morning and is playing it for everyone to listen, this is not the single!"

So I left in the middle of a conversation, ran across the room to the guy who had just put the CD on, who I didn't know and was giving a tour of the studio to a bunch of visitors, and I said (in front of about 10 strangers) " Is this the new U2 album?" The guy said 'Yeah!' and I was like "Listen, I know it's going to look like I'm the weirdest person ever, but I am the biggest U2 fan you'll ever come across, and I have been waiting for this album for months. It's really going to ruin it for me if the first time I listen to it is while I am working and can't concentrate on the music! Can you please turn it off?"

The guy (and the other ten people whose presentation I had just interrupted) looked at me like I was a bit of a psycho, but then said "yeah that's cool, I understand, I'll turn it off". Then I had to come back to my co-workers and explain why I had suddenly left... yeah I'm a weirdo!:wink:

Last edited:
oceane said:
"Listen, I know it's going to look like I'm the weirdest person ever, but I am the biggest U2 fan you'll ever come across, and I have been waiting for this album for months. It's really going to ruin it for me if the first time I listen to it is while I am working and can't concentrate on the music! Can you please turn it off?"

:yikes: :coocoo:

yeah I'm a weirdo!:wink: [/B]

:yes:

:wink:

Best of 1980-1990, then ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Story for Bomb, no stores near me were doing midnight sales, something that ticked me off, but regardless I found the earliest place that would be open was a Target nearby at 8am. I went there and they hadn't put them out. The employee I asked to see if they had them in got really surly with me, apparently I was doing a bad thing asking her to do her job lol.

Pop came out the week before I turned 15. I had become a U2 fan when I was 13 and was so excited for this release. My parents agreed to drive me out to the mall in the next town over after school to get it. I called the music store during lunch and between some classes on a pay phone to make sure they still had copies. :reject: :lol:

Best of 1980-1990. My best friend and I went to go pick it up together that year, since by then we were both huge fans, and we've done that with every other U2 release since then. We make an event out of it. :)

:lol: I've called stores to make sure they've still had it too, Bonochick! I don't know why I always got so paraniod that they'd sell out on the first day. :reject:

Back
Top Bottom