What was your first album...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my older brother and i went out and bought joshua tree the day it was released. we had been fans since unforgettable fire.

he used to drive a volkswagen convertible. we put it into the cassette player (i don't think cds were even around then - yikes) and listened to it really, really loud as we drove around with the top down.

i remember both of us being totally blown away by bullet the blue sky.

it was good times :heart:

Rattle and Hum was bought to me on its released day by my brother (it was waiting for me to come back from school at home)

The very first one i bought myself the first day was Achtung Baby (i bought it in Berlin since i was this day on a school trip there : how appropriate !)

Growing older i stopped buying them on the released date and waited till i went to virgin megastor (usually the wait wasn't more than for a few days...)

Rattle and Hum was the first album I bought on release day.

I had already bought the Desire cassingle the day it was released, too.

I don't know how I ever got by without the internet. The only way I ever knew album release dates back then was to check the bulletin board at Sound Shop in the mall.

I remember my Dad bought The Joshua Tree and brought it home, stood it next to his "record" shelf (which has probably over 1,000 records) and just left it there wrapped in its cellophane packaging. I so desperately wanted to rip off the cellophane and play the record, but it wasn't mine, so I had to wait.

For Rattle & Hum, I gave my Dad money before he went to work and he promised to buy me the cd after work. He came into my room that night and I was so excited, but then he handed me my money back and said that they had sold out by the time he got there and he couldn't get it. I was SO BUMMED! Then after a minute or so, he pulled it out of the back of his pants and said, "Ehhhhh. Had you going, didn't I?" (Typical Dad!) And I just remember falling, falling in love with "Hawkmoon 269".

Finally, for "Achtung Baby", I was old enough and my friend and I went to a proper midnight release and sat outside the store waiting and waiting and I believe I fell asleep that night with my headphones on and re-vamped U2 floating through my head.

Zooropa I honestly don't remember. POP was another midnight sale (which ended up landing me seats right off the catwalk for Popmart San Diego!), so that was awesome.

The last two I've just bought the day they came out. I don't know if they even did midnight releases for "All . .." and "How . . .".

Ahhhh, nothing like a new U2 album. Good memories.

Zooropa. I bought it in Berkeley, at midnight, at the old Tower Records off Telegraph Ave. Early summer, 1993, if I remember right. I don't think I stopped listening to it all summer...

The first CD that I ever bought, by any artist, was also my first U2 album - Achtung Baby. It was a 1991 Xmas present to myself, so I opened it on Christmas morning (my parents were giving me a CD player / boombox for Xmas).

Mine was R&H. I'd been a U2 fan since War but I'd gotten UF & JT a bit later, probably a week or 2 after they came out. I then went on to see the movie 2 days before it was released which was very cool. Been hitting them on the release date ever since.

Funny thing, I was at UConn when AB came out, and there's this little record shop across Rte. 195 from campus called the Campus Disc (I think - it might not even be there anymore actually). Anyway I walked in the day before AB was released (a Monday, I think release dates were always Tuesdays even then) and they had a box of AB cd's just sitting there. I tried to buy one, and the guy wouldn't sell it to me...how about that? I suppose it was against the rules but c'mon, teasing me/us like that :(

ATYCLB and Bomb.

(my older brother got into U2 first so he had the other albums. I bought the rest of them recently when he moved out though)

The Joshua Tree. After watching Live Aid I got the Unforgettable fire but couldn't really get into it, but liked it enough to buy War. I loved that one right off the bat and THEN started to love TUF. by the time they played the conspiracy of Hope in 1986 I had all the albums and was really ready for the new album.

It seemed by the time the Joshua Tree came out about every 3rd person in my high school had a U2 shirt so I knew it was gonna be big. Anyway, the day it was released I skipped morning classes, walked downtown and bought the cassette. listened to it all day on my walkman(Cutting edge technology!) and was pretty blown away

I first got into the HTDAAB, and I didn't think it was that good, then I saw U2 on their Vertigo Tour with my dad and then I started to get into them, then I started listening to their 80's and 90's stuff, and here I am today on U2 interference talking about them:wink:

Back
Top Bottom