What songs did Lillywhite think were rubbish on ATYCLB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drewgie

The Fly
Just a quick question, I was reading one of the mags in the last few months and lillywhite was discussing the quality of songs on the new record and saying that he thought they were all great. He then went on to say that he thought 4 songs on ATYCLB were great...a few were just good...and some were not so good! It hit me at the time as a strange thing to say...considering that it was besically slamming the bands previos album!

Does anyone have the exact quote?

Just wondering what people would consider to be the great four on that album??

for me the only ones that fall into that category are:

Walk on
Kite
and Beautiful Day

I remember eno loved Stuck and was talking it up and all...but in my opinion... I couldn't put it in the great category...would you??

Cheers

Andrew

The great four would be Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and Grace. In my opinion, that is.

I would go with five - Beautiful Day, Kite, Walk On, Elevation and In a Little While. Stuck in a Moment would be great if not overproduced.

And Axver, Grace? Really? I know it is your opinion, just surprised me. Or maybe it reminds you of UF a little bit?

bsp77 said:
And Axver, Grace? Really? I know it is your opinion, just surprised me. Or maybe it reminds you of UF a little bit?

I know it's rather unpopular here, but I think it's a very subtle, beautiful song. Yeah, it has a bit of the more soothing UF feel, and I love the lyrics. I'm sure some people here have a five-minute loop of "Grace, it's a name for a girl/It's also a thought that changed the world". Get past that and it has some superb lines. I find that not only is it an insightful song, it's very calming and a pleasure to listen to.

Axver said:

I know it's rather unpopular here, but I think it's a very subtle, beautiful song. Yeah, it has a bit of the more soothing UF feel, and I love the lyrics. I'm sure some people here have a five-minute loop of "Grace, it's a name for a girl/It's also a thought that changed the world". Get past that and it has some superb lines. I find that not only is it an insightful song, it's very calming and a pleasure to listen to.

Good reason, I was just curious. I will never make fun of someone for liking or disliking something as long as they are not saying stuff like Pop is great and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite, and Stuck are probably the best four. I don't actually care for the melody of Stuck or Kite, but the lyrics will break your heart.

bsp77 said:

Good reason, I was just curious. I will never make fun of someone for liking or disliking something as long as they are not saying stuff like Pop is great and anyone who disagrees is an idiot.

I think that's what stops me from liking stuck...with all that talk about finding a decent melody and all...you think they could have actually found one! Agree about the lyrics though!

THe greats on the album for me are:

Beautiful Day
Stuck
In a Little While
Wild Honey
New York

Walk On never really did it for me although i do really like the U.S. single version with the Hallelugh's.

Grace....:drool:

On my first couple of listens to the album (all those years ago!!:wink:) I really didnt like that song. But then something clicked in me, maybe i'd had a bad day or something, and I remember going home and thinking "Im gonna put Grace on repeat". And I did, and have loved it ever since! :wink:

I go for: Elevation, Kite, Beautiful Day and Walk On.
Kite and Elevation are far the best in my opinion, Elevation is one of my favourite u2 songs.

Well he mixed Beautiful day and Walk on so those are probably great to him.

To me, Beautiful day, Stuck, Kite and In a little while are all superb songs.

Good are Walk on (a tad overrated IMO), New York and Wild honey.

When I look..., Peace and Grace and Elevation (again, overrated) are ok.

My four greats are Beautiful Day, Walk On, Kite and New York.

From Lillywhite's perspective, I suspect it is the above minus New York and add Stuck In A Moment (or was that Lanois who was raving about Stuck?).

Wild Honey is close too. I like that song alot, regardless of how many people seem to despise it.

sorry guys but to me all the songs on ATYCLB are great
maybe New York and step down but good anyway

its a great record
and i love Grace!

I'd rather rate the album best to worst:

Beautiful Day
(The Ground Beneath Her Feet)
Walk On
Elevation
In A Little While
Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of
Kite
New York
When I Look At The World
Peace On Earth
Wild Honey
Grace

so if no one has Steve Lilywhite's opinion in print we may as well call this the "What songs did you think were rubbish on ATYCLB"
His was vague for a reason, to get us thinking.

God Part III said:
I'd rather rate the album best to worst:

Beautiful Day
Walk On
Elevation
In A Little While
Kite
New York
When I Look At The World
Peace On Earth
Wild Honey
Grace

My best to worst:

Walk On
Kite
Beautiful Day
Grace
When I Look At The World
Peace On Earth
New York
Elevation
Wild Honey
In A Little While

Atty club has decent tunes but too many weak spots for me:

Hight points: BD and Kite

Low points: Stuck, Grace, Elevation

Some of you are going to raise an eyebrow at me. But we're all entitled to our own opinions. Too many songs on atty club are U2 trying to be something that they are not.

Lilywhite was just bitter because the album was so successful with little participation from him. After the flop of Pop, Lilywhite thought U2 really needed him to make a commercially successful album, but he was proven wrong with ATYCLB. So he got bitter and critiqued the songs.

Cheers,

J

The great ones:
Walk On and the live versions of Kite
The Ground Beneath Her Feet is by far the best U2000 song.
The solid ones:
New York
Beautiful Day(I hate when they call this a classic in the vein of Streets or Pride or One - I mean, what the fuck?! At least 3/4 of Pop is better than this song)
Stuck in a Moment
In a Little While
When I Look at the World(just because of that great solo in the middle)
The bad ones:
Wild Honey
The REALLY BAD ones:
Elevation(a disgrace)
Peace on Earth(yawn)
Grace(not even worthy to be on a b-sides album. Second worst U2 song)
So, I guess Lillywhite considered Walk On, Kite and Beautiful Day as the good songs.

jick said:
Lilywhite was just bitter because the album was so successful with little participation from him. After the flop of Pop, Lilywhite thought U2 really needed him to make a commercially successful album, but he was proven wrong with ATYCLB. So he got bitter and critiqued the songs.

Cheers,

J

TROLL! TROLL! TROLL!

If you think Lillywhite critiqued the work done with Thomas because he was bitter, you are an ASSHOLE, Jick. A presumptuous, baiting, ASSHOLE.

Perhaps if you took the time to read the recent interview on U2.com, you'd see that Lillywhite has enormous respect for Thomas, and said that you can have the best band, and the best producer and still not come up with the best work.

Lillywhite has been happy to work with U2 for the last 20 years in a reduced quality, mixing songs and giving advice on almost every album since War.

If you want to make jokes, go right ahead. But don't poison the minds of newer fans who may take your idiotic ramblings seriously. There are all straight up people and you have no right to tarnish their credibility with no basis in fact.

Fuck off.

laz

Back
Top Bottom