What is U2's strongest album Lyrically?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
macphisto23 said:

No way, listen to Exit, Bullet, One tree hill, Mothers, ISHFWILF, Running- Joshua Tree is up there with POP, Actung Baby, October, and War

I agree it is up there, but not above AB or Pop.

1.Pop
2.AB
3.Zooropa/JT

unosdostres14 said:
People don't like HTDAAB because it's new. Come on, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, Original of the Species, COBL......all of these are incredible. Vertigo, ABOY, and crumbs are also great. A lot of people don't understand these songs. Like Vertigo. Most people wouldn't see the connection to Jesus. So lots of people think that Vertigo is just some corny song about being dizzy. A lot of their lyrics are like this. People are kind of prejudiced against the new stuff because it hasn't stood the test of time.

No, it doesn't matter as much what the meanings of the songs are, it's the word choice, the imagery, just generally what defines "good" writing - creatively playing with words, constructing intelligent ways of conveying thoughts.

Now, I love HTDAAB, but that's certainly not because its lyrics are strong

To the side of a hill
Blood was spilt
We were still looking at eachother
Oh, we're going back there

Shout, shout
With a shout, shout it out
Shout, shout it out
I wanna go to the foot of the Messiah
To the foot of He who made me see
To the side of the hill where we were still
We were filled with our love
We're gonna be there again
Jerusalem
Jerusalem
Shout, shout
With a shout, shout it out
Shout, Shout

unnamed_streets said:
Pretty much every single song on the Joshua Tree except for Trip is genius.

Trip is actually genius also, I think musically no, but lyrically yes.

unosdostres14 said:
People don't like HTDAAB because it's new. Come on, Miracle Drug, SYCMIOYO, LAPOE, Original of the Species, COBL......all of these are incredible. Vertigo, ABOY, and crumbs are also great. A lot of people don't understand these songs. Like Vertigo. Most people wouldn't see the connection to Jesus. So lots of people think that Vertigo is just some corny song about being dizzy. A lot of their lyrics are like this. People are kind of prejudiced against the new stuff because it hasn't stood the test of time.

I realize Vertigo is about much more than being dizzy, but I still disagree with you about any of those songs being 'incredible' lyrically. The lyrics on this record are all very straight-forward, and I really prefer the cloaked, 18 different meanings, metaphorical lyrical style Bono wrote in for the better part of a decade during the 90s. The only songs on HTDAAB that stand out lyrically for me are Fast Cars, Vertigo, LAPOE, Sometimes, and Crumbs. Vertigo, and LAPOE are VERY GOOD and nothing more. Sometimes, FC, and Crumbs are quite good.

Last edited:
unnamed_streets said:
Hey, dont mess with my personal favorite. It's not like I said, "I unanimously declare AB the winner of this thread!"

Your personal favourite is wrong. :wink:

(Yes, I'm being sarcastic because I'm bored. Yay me.)

U2's deepest, most metaphorical lyrics come from the song SCARLET, probably U2's greatest lyrics song ever!

macphisto23 said:
U2's deepest, most metaphorical lyrics come from the song SCARLET, probably U2's greatest lyrics song ever!

You sure you don't mean emotion when you say lyrics? I mean...

Rejooooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice (x 4)

Hey guys, look at all the arguements we have made for various different U2 records' lyrical substance...nearly every record has been mentioned...I think that says a lot for Bono's lyrical talents.

Fuck, I've said for a long time that I think Bono is to this generation what Bob Dylan was to that generation...I'm not saying Bono is better than Dylan, I'm just saying that Dylan was the greatest lyricist for the generation of kids that grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I think Bono is the greatest lyricist for the generation of kids that grew up in the 80s and 90s. If that makes any sense.

unnamed_streets said:

You sure you don't mean emotion when you say lyrics? I mean...

Rejooooooooooooooooooooooiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice (x 4)

Thats why it is so great!

namkcuR said:
Hey guys, look at all the arguements we have made for various different U2 records' lyrical substance...nearly every record has been mentioned...I think that says a lot for Bono's lyrical talents.

Fuck, I've said for a long time that I think Bono is to this generation what Bob Dylan was to that generation...I'm not saying Bono is better than Dylan, I'm just saying that Dylan was the greatest lyricist for the generation of kids that grew up in the 60s and 70s, and I think Bono is the greatest lyricist for the generation of kids that grew up in the 80s and 90s. If that makes any sense.

Amen

unnamed_streets said:

Oh yeah? Well... Everything you know is wrong!

Everything you know about everything I know is wrong! So THERE.

Axver said:

Everything you know about everything I know is wrong! So THERE.

Gentlemen, this could go on for a while. I suggest looking for a constructive resolution to your debate about who knows what about what :wink:

namkcuR said:

Gentlemen, this could go on for a while. I suggest looking for a constructive resolution to your debate about who knows what about what :wink:

Constructive resolution: obey Axver!

Well, it works for me. :wink:

unnamed_streets said:
I don't mean to divert the topic or sound negative but how about the worst album lyrically?

Either Boy, October, or All That You Can't Leave Behind. Which says a lot, as I think they're all brilliant in their own ways.

I can't believe I'm agreeing with you :wink: but I would go for ATYCLB too. Although Macphisto23 is gonna pick a fight with you.

Well here is my list, I really think U2's lyrics(bono) are all great but if I had to number them theyd go like this
Best to worst
1-October
2-TJT
3-AB
4-War
5-Boy
6-Pop
7-TUF
8-Zooropa
9-HTDAAB
10-R&H
11-WAIA
12ATYCLB

And I do love ATYCLB, I just think it is weakest lyrically, but a great album!

unnamed_streets said:
I can't believe I'm agreeing with you :wink: but I would go for ATYCLB too. Although Macphisto23 is gonna pick a fight with you.

I think there are a few songs, such as Elevation and Wild Honey, that really let ATYCLB down in the lyrics department. And as for October, the emotion and passion is there, but some of the lyrics are really not so great. Stranger In A Strange Land, Is That All?, and parts of Rejoice are really not spectacular examples of lyrics.

Though if you want Bono's absolute worst lyrics, try Boy/Girl and Big Girls Are Best.

Axver said:

I think there are a few songs, such as Elevation and Wild Honey, that really let ATYCLB down in the lyrics department. And as for October, the emotion and passion is there, but some of the lyrics are really not so great. Stranger In A Strange Land, Is That All?, and parts of Rejoice are really not spectacular examples of lyrics.

Though if you want Bono's absolute worst lyrics, try Boy/Girl and Big Girls Are Best.

Rejoice, SISL, and Is that all,
Are great lyrically! Actually fantastic

Here's my attempt at a ranking:

1. The Joshua Tree
2. The Unforgettable Fire (inc. Wide Awake In America)
3. Pop
4. Achtung Baby
5. Zooropa
6. Rattle And Hum
7. War
8. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
9. All That You Can't Leave Behind
10. October
11. Boy

I was gonna go with ATYCLB, but I can't. Admitedly Elevation is no lyrical achievement, but

Beautiful Day

"what you don't have you don't need it now/what you don't know you can feel it somehow"

The whole of Walk On

Stuck In A Moment

"and if the night runs over/and if the day won't last/and if your way should falter/along this stony pass/it's just a moment/this time will pass"

Kite

"in the summer I can taste/the salt on the sea/there's a kite blowing/out of control on the breeze/I wonder what's gonna/happen to you/you wonder what has/happened to me"

When I Look At The World

"I'm in the waiting room/can't see for the smoke/I think of you and your holy book/while the rest of us choke/tell me, tell me/what do you see/tell me, tell me/what's wrong with me"

Grace

"Grace makes beauty out of ugly things"

are all very very very very good :drool:

Back
Top Bottom