What IS Rattle & Hum about? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-12-2003, 10:58 PM   #21
arw
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:10 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by IWasBored
arw9797, i beleive that you posted at the same time as me again...

Old 02-12-2003, 11:11 PM   #22
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:10 PM
*straps on boots in preparation for ass-kicking fest 2003*

Old 02-12-2003, 11:15 PM   #23
Blue Meth Addict

Local Time: 02:10 PM
I hope those boots are shined and have steel toes.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:12 AM   #24
Fan & Taper

Local Time: 01:10 PM
So I take it most of you have never seen it on the big screen (when it first came out)?

I had the luck to see the special screening at the directors guild in Los Angeles the night before the Los Angeles Premiere (At Mann's Chinese Theater). The band wasn't there but we drove back up to L.A. the next night and saw the band perform on the street in front of Mann's theater. I saw it a few times in it's first run at the theater.
Old 02-13-2003, 12:15 AM   #25
Blue Meth Addict

That's awesome Chisedge. I've never seen it on the bigscreen. Unless you count my 31inch tv as a big screen (I dont count that). Rattle and Hum is great, I remember watching it for the first time, and being completely blown away by how great all of those songs sounded live.
Old 02-13-2003, 01:37 AM   #26
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 10:10 PM
What Rattle & Hum is about?

Well, during an interview in 1987 Edge said "It's going to be ET mixed with Star Wars."

So there you have it.

C ya!

Marty
Old 02-13-2003, 01:46 AM   #27
Blue Meth Addict

Hahahahaha, that's awesome. Adam does kinda look like ET with his shirt off... Edge kinda has the Obi Wan Kenobi think going for him with that beard and all...
Old 02-13-2003, 07:31 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
I'm a Refugee now.

Booyah.

I like the JT singles and the songs that weren't singles from that time. .

I never got to see "Rattle and Hum" in the movie theater when it came out, no.

I didn't see it until last August when it was on the Trio channel.

And since then I've made up for all those years I'd never seen it. . (Seriously, I've lost count of how many times I've watched that thing)

Quote:
angel of harlem can do that to you. i think that's what happened to my little brother...

That's one of the reasons why that's my favorite U2 song (the other being that the song just kicks arse).

Angela
Old 02-13-2003, 07:45 AM   #29
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by u2popmofo

I still have a hard time hearing U2's Joshua Tree "glory days" singles on the radio (With or Without You, Streets, Havent Found What I'm looking For) .

I really love those songs, I just get sick cause I know there are people out there who think U2 sucks except for those songs. It make me resentful or something. I guess I like most of their recent stuff a lot more than that periods songs.

That would describe the majority of people I know. They call War and JT/R&H 'the GOOD U2' and they really don't like anything made before or afterwards except maybe One and Walk On. But I don't 'resent' them for it. At least they like some U2 instead of only liking crap music. Not every person digs every single thing any band does. It's better for them to like some things by U2 than nothing at all, right? U2 probably gets a lot of business from fans who only buy the ones they like, but at least they bought something by them instead of hating them. Even though I'm a gung-ho U2 fan type like most of you, I still remember the 'glory days' with pride and the rush of excitement they brought to have U2 reach the mountaintop and rule MTV and radio.

Last night on my radio station, after ISHFWILF played, the DJ said after JT and R&H and the long tours of the late 80's when they were 'on top of the world' he didn't think they could possibly get any bigger, until he saw Elevation and realized their greatness went beyond that, and they had a legacy that would live forever. "Kings of the Universe" he called them. So there's always hope for people!
Old 02-13-2003, 11:01 AM   #30
Blue Meth Addict

Good points U2Kitten.
Old 02-13-2003, 09:04 PM   #31
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by arw9797

hmmm...

If you were a teenager in 1987/8, and I was, you either liked U2, REM, INXS, and those types of bands (can't think of who else was around back then) OR you liked the wild heavy metal boys.

Every single person I was friends with and that my older brother was friends with listened to heavy metal and not U2 and the other bands so it was very easy to not like them. But I did have a mind of my own and I could choose for myself who to listen to and I still didn't like U2. I loved INXS but the rest of it sucked. U2 was in your face all of the time and it got old.

That's all I want to say because U2 is the most important music that has ever been in my life. I would be lost without them.

The last half of 2001 and the first half of 2002 were unbelievable shitty for me for various reasons. Seeing them in October got me through the bad stuff; it was the first time and the last time for a few months that I actually felt something besides numbness and sadness. I don't know where I'd be now if I hadn't gone to that show, and it's really scary to think of what might have happened.

I ALWAYS liked U2 songs; I knew all the words to the overplayed 80's radio songs and I was only 8 when The Joshua Tree came out. I remember my dad had War and JT, and he liked only good music, so U2 must be good. I didn't connect the 80's songs to the 90's songs until my room mate introduced me to the 90's album in college. I was like, DUH! How did I not KNOW THIS? And the rest is history...

Actual R&H Question: I read a post awhile back that said Edge unplugs Bono's guitar at some point during the movie. Does anyone know what scene this is? During All Along the Watchtower, Edge plays with some buttons and my brother insists this is the part, but I don't think so. Thanks!
Old 02-13-2003, 09:06 PM   #32
Blue Crack Supplier

unplugs it? why?
Old 02-13-2003, 09:17 PM   #33
Blue Meth Addict

Probably because Bono sucks at guitar? hehe. That's my guess

Bono quote - "I want to able to play guitar very badly, and I do play guitar very badly."
Old 02-13-2003, 09:19 PM   #34
Blue Crack Supplier

Quote:

Bono quote - "I want to able to play guitar very badly, and I do play guitar very badly."

one of my favourite bono quotes
Old 02-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #35
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Probably because Bono sucks at guitar? hehe. That's my guess

LOL.

Hey, he's not that bad. He plays a mean guitar during the live performance of "Exit" from R&H (he just goes nuts toward the end there-I love that (I also love how they throw "Gloria" into that song at the end, that is cool)).

Angela
Old 02-13-2003, 11:12 PM   #36
Blue Crack Supplier

i'm not saying it's my favourite quote cos i think he sucks

it's my favourite cos i think it really applies to me and my guitar playing
Old 02-13-2003, 11:29 PM   #37
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
i'm not saying it's my favourite quote cos i think he sucks

it's my favourite cos i think it really applies to me and my guitar playing
Ah.

Yeah, I didn't think you thought he sucked...I was just saying that in response to his saying that he plays the guitar very badly-I beg to differ. .

Angela
Old 02-14-2003, 06:34 AM   #38
Refugee

Local Time: 08:10 PM
as larry mullen jr. said:
"its a musical journey"
Old 02-14-2003, 07:12 AM   #39
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 12:10 PM
There's a group called "The Clash" - never heard of them. Must be crap.

*runs from IWasBored

Sorry, I didn't respond in your Clash thread - but I do like them. However, I was never a huge fan of them and only know a few songs. In the late 70's/early 80's, I liked groups like The Ramones, The Police, Blondie, U2 and yes, even some disco! I know it's funny, but some of those disco songs were well written and performed by some very talented musicians. There's a reason why disco made a bit of a comeback! Also, those songs were fun to listen to - which is essential to music. But I also enjoyed the "new wave" sound and some "punk" or "post-punk".

As for the Bono quote... yeah, I love it! It's a rare sign of Bono humility. :rofl: However, I recall reading a quote from The Edge who stated that he thought Bono's guitar playing (which is more of an acoustic rhythm guitar) was actually very good on JT. And if you listen to songs like "Walk On" now, you can't help but agree. I can envision a future where Bono might do some U2 songs on a Vegas stage with just him and an acoustic guitar as he does his best to belt out an old hit.

Lastly, as for the movie... Sadly I did not see it in the theaters. Back then, I always felt that movies were social events. I thought going by myself would be ridiculous - and at that given moment in time, there was no one to go with me. If the movie came out today though, there'd be no hesitation on my part to see it a dozen times by myself. What it means though is a bit harder to describe. It's similar to a "Hard Day's Night" by the Beatles... a story of them becoming popular, the story of their songs and the story of them performing. "Hard Day's Night" had a script (and tons of John Lennon's dry humor) whereas "Rattle & Hum" did not (and sadly did not focus enough on the great humor within the band) - but it captured that same general feeling.

Anyway, thems me thoughts.
Old 02-14-2003, 11:21 AM   #40
Blue Meth Addict

Actually, if you pay attention and listen, Bono's guitar/amp are not on/ on so low you cant hear them most of the time in concerts. Just pay attention, it's just Edge most of the time.