Were U2 ever 'cool'?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Interesting replies here, especially those about blink-182. :up: I will get Flanagan's book, and I can't wait discover the 90's era. :D

And For Honor - I consider HMTMKMKM to be a 'cool' song because of the way Bono sings in it, and Edge's guitar, and the rythym thast backs it up. But, that doesn't make it like a top 10 song for me.

HMTMKMKM is probably the "coolest" U2 song - that and "The Fly." Also "MoFo" :yes:

But yes, during the AB and Zooropa days they were the coolest of the bunch. The ZooTV tour was fantastic stuff - a complete image overhaul from their 80's representation. You should DEFINATELY check out the Live from Sydney video :up:

KhanadaRhodes said:

you do realise hmtmkmkm is an original U2 song and not a cover, right?

Hmmm, Gloria Estefan had a song or album called Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me. Maybe he thinks that is a cover of that. :wink:

Being cool is irrelevent. Anything that is popular is often considered uncool by certain hipster-types, who in turn, are considered uncool poseurs by everyone else. It's so subjective.

Unless you're Miles Davis. Or Johnny Cash.

A lot of my friends think Simple Plan are cool. I laugh at that, because the lead singer sounds like a girl and they are ripping off so many bands.

Feel free to tell more ZooTV stories!

Last edited:
Didn't the guys once say they were the "biggest cult" band in the world? (I think it was during the Zoo era).

U2 have never been cool.

Their music has always been far too open to be cool.

Eno has a great quote on why U2 are "uncool", and why it makes them great.

I can't recall it now.

Someone else post it.

"The ironic thing was that U2 was putting on a big act during the 90's...most people didn't realize that. They were mocking the "rock star" life and they did it so well that many thought that's what they really were. Personally, I loved it."

...And the really weird thing is that they did it so well that--to this day--many people are *still* convinced!

It's aggravating...but strangely pretty cool...

:wink

kimby said:
"The ironic thing was that U2 was putting on a big act during the 90's...most people didn't realize that. They were mocking the "rock star" life and they did it so well that many thought that's what they really were. Personally, I loved it."

...And the really weird thing is that they did it so well that--to this day--many people are *still* convinced!

It's aggravating...but strangely pretty cool...

:wink

Is that an Eno quote?

The one i was thinking of actually included his definition of "cool", and how being "cool" involved a great deal of deception.

No, that's a Zoocoustic quote...

...I messed up a bit while while quoting him/her!:shifty:

Meghan said:
To my friends, U2 could be alright... maybe. If it weren't for Bono. But I think saving the world IS cool, so :madspit:

Same here. My friends think U2 are ok except they all hate Bono. They think he has a huge ego and all his charity is all an act. I tell them so much that they are wrong and they should actually look at what U2 has done but no.

I'm in highschool, and a lot of people think U2 is ok, but wouldn't go see them live.

Good, I say, the pretentious wankers.

An uncool band is just a cool band that got popular.

The funny thing is, a lot of teenagers may not think U2 is terribly cool, but U2 is probably considered cooler than any of the music that most teenagers listen to :D

Actually, when I was in high school in the mid/late ninties most kids liked U2 in the same way most of them liked the Beatles, Stones, or any other band with a legendary reputation. Though you could make a point that the musical landscape at that time was better suited for teens with taste.

Oh, and liking a band because they are cool will always be the epitome of uncool. :wink:

I think U2 was cool during the Zoo TV tour. The "cool kids" all wore their concert T's to school.

U2 might have been cool during Popmart. It's hard to say though.

Are they "cool" now?? probably not. :wink:

Although, the alternative radio station where I live still considers them "alternative." :hmm:

Back
Top Bottom