Were the last 2 albums too contrived?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya how many times can Bono say; Soul, or Kneel.;

And "Freedom has a scent
Like the top of a new born baby’s head"
is NOT a great Lyric. It is a shit lyric.

Anyway I like:
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own
Love And Peace Or Else
A Man And A Woman
Crumbs From Your Table
One Step Closer
Yahweh

But HATE the Others.

doubleU said:

In my opinion? Let's be honest, this is all it is.

Into the heart
Scarlet
Seconds
4th of July
Trip through your Wires
Helter Skelter
Even Better than the Real Thing
Miami

I'll give you Even Better Than The Real Thing DOUBLEU. I never liked that song. But none of the rest are contrived. And are not even considered U2 songs by mainstream. Give me a break.

Ok DoubleU

Face the facts.

U2 never made a commercial song until Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss me, Kill Me.

Since then, they became experts at making commercial music.

I know they are old and so I wish they would just retire now. They made about $50 million from this tour. Give it up boys. No more crap albums!

Last edited:
Raydetect said:
Ok DoubleU

Face the facts.

U2 never made a commercial song until Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss me, Kill Me.

So now I have to ask what your idea of commercial is? Because you just butchered your argument by this statement.

Earnie Shavers said:
And yes it is a case of "my opinion vs your opinion" which is only about discussion, maybe debate, but certainly no-one is right or wrong. Some people far prefer commercial shit and that is a-ok with me :wink:

Yes, the ONLY reason people like ATYCLB and Bomb is because they sold a lot and won Grammys.
Nothing to do with making up their own minds and actually liking what they heard on the albums.
Of course, some opinions here are more equal than others.

As for throwaway songs, try Trip through your wires, Miami or Some days are better than others. And we can go through every single U2 album focusing on a bad line or two.

Are you stoned U2Girl?
Trip Through Your Wires is the worst song on Joshua Tree.

And Miami is the worst on POP.

Some Days is the worst on Zooropa.

DoubleU: You are an asshole. Fuck Off!
Don't post on my post again or I'll kick your ass.

Raydetect said:
DoubleU: You are an asshole. Fuck Off!
Don't post on my post again or I'll kick your ass.

Wow, you proved your point. I asked you a question and you couldn't answer it. Yet you attacked me with profanity. I find you laughable.

Raydetect, I may agree with the general idea of your original post but these personal attacks are not gonna get you anywhere.

:shifty:

U2girl said:

Yes, the ONLY reason people like ATYCLB and Bomb is because they sold a lot and won Grammys.

well, to be honest this argument comes very, very often... especialy in those Pop vs. ATYCLB threads, so... :rolleyes:

U2girl said:

Nothing to do with making up their own minds and actually liking what they heard on the albums.

I never, ever said anything about sales or Grammys in my post. I was talking about liking what they heard on the albums. And some people like corporate-rock, gimmicky pop and schmaltzy adult contemporary music. That's perfectly okay. Others also prefer U2's music when it's playing to U2-stereotypes and cliched old sounds and structures (the U2-Climax moment for example). That's completely okay as well. Shit, I love the end of Miracle Drug when the Edge takes off, who wouldn't? It's virtually been dialed in from a Make Your Own U2 Song program, but it doesn't make it any less 'nice', and some people never get tired of it and lap it all straight up - fine by be. It IS all about personal taste and opinion and thats cool.

It's only the tiniest handful of morons who come in here and try and tell people they are wrong for loving Miami or wrong for loving Yahweh. Don't mistake people saying they think something is shit for saying that you are shit because you like it. I think Yahweh is complete and total shit, without a doubt my least favourite U2 song ever, but I think you're cool because you like it.

Raydetect said:

I'll give you Even Better Than The Real Thing DOUBLEU. I never liked that song. But none of the rest are contrived. And are not even considered U2 songs by mainstream. Give me a break.

Who's Gonna Ride You Wild Horses is the most contrived song U2 has ever written IMO. :madspit: The bands blatent attempt to have a radio friendly hit, to appease their record company bosses.

I think elevation and vertigo are 2 of U2s funnest songs to muck around to and sing they're so cool and they're real rock music. They're not song you have to worry about anything when you're listening and its just fun pure rock music

roy said:

Who's Gonna Ride You Wild Horses is the most contrived song U2 has ever written IMO. :madspit: The bands blatent attempt to have a radio friendly hit, to appease their record company bosses.

Have you listened to the salome out-takes,

As far as I'm concerned they used exactly the same process with this song in it's construction as they do with most of their others,

so IMHO you couldnt be further from the truth.

Ellay said:

Have you listened to the salome out-takes,

As far as I'm concerned they used exactly the same process with this song in it's construction as they do with most of their others,

so IMHO you couldnt be further from the truth.

Well, according to Steve Lillywhite:

"They hated that song," he says. "I spent a month on it and I still don't think it was as realised as it could've been. The Americans had heard it and said, That's your radio song there, because they were having trouble with some of the more industrial elements. It's almost like a covers band doing a U2 moment. Maybe we tried too hard."

'like a covers band doing a U2 moment' ...totally spot on IMO.

roy said:

Well, according to Steve Lillywhite:

"They hated that song," he says. "I spent a month on it and I still don't think it was as realised as it could've been. The Americans had heard it and said, That's your radio song there, because they were having trouble with some of the more industrial elements. It's almost like a covers band doing a U2 moment. Maybe we tried too hard."

'like a covers band doing a U2 moment' ...totally spot on IMO.

Yeah but just because that song was picked up by american radio stations, doesn't mean they recorded it in a commercial way.

I'm sure they'd say the same about vertigo, which get critisised for being 'commercial', but we know that went through the same creative process as well - as full metal jacket , and native son.

Raydetect said:

So name the "throw away" song in their first 9 albums!

I bet you can't cause the "throw away" song didn't start until All That You Can't Leave Behind, Such as:
Beautiful Day
Elevation
Walk On
THE REST OF THE ALBUM IS GREAT!!

And:
How To Dismantle an Atomic Bomb:
Vertigo
Miracle Drug
City Of blinding Lights
All Because Of You
Original Of The Species

If they continue to make this music, forget about it.

You think all of those songs are throwaways? :huh: As far as I'm concerned Beautiful Day and Original of the Species are two of the best songs U2 has ever done... :shrug:

Just because something is a commercial hit doesn't mean it's also throwaway. Also - does every U2 song have to have some deep meaning? What's wrong with 'dumb rock songs' like Vertigo and Elevation? First of all, you can do a deep lyrical analysis of both songs, but their purpose first and foremost is to rock, and I think they do it well, just like, say, Discotheque.

Did U2 strive to have commercial success? Yes, just like they always have. U2 always wanted to be big. I don't know why people are just now freaking out over it. As far as I'm concerned this is just a new phase in U2's career, just like any other phase. Some people seem to think U2 has lost their magic - well, that's too bad. It all boils down to personal taste. Just like U2 lost fans when they made the drastic change from the 80's to the 90's, U2 are now losing fans in their new 00's phase. But there are also some fans that still do feel the magic, despite the change. And of course U2 gains new fans every album.

Anyway, I wouldn't worry about it, because my guess is the next U2 album will be a little more on the experimental side, anyway.

U2girl said:

Of course, some opinions here are more equal than others.

As for throwaway songs, try Trip through your wires, Miami or Some days are better than others. And we can go through every single U2 album focusing on a bad line or two.

I bought HTDAAB the day it came out and thought it was great I haven't heard songs like that in a long time all the emotions in the songs made me cry the first time I heard them.:| Maybe ya'll should look at the deeper meaning of the songs, sometimes when you know the story behing the song it takes on a whole new life.

DignityPassesBy said:
I think elevation and vertigo are 2 of U2s funnest songs to muck around to and sing they're so cool and they're real rock music. They're not song you have to worry about anything when you're listening and its just fun pure rock music

Yeah, wise one you speak the truth!

Boy, the fact that HTDAAB won the grammy for album of the year must have really hurt some people, judging by the types of threads started the past few days....................

CPTLCTYGOOFBALL said:
Boy, the fact that HTDAAB won the grammy for album of the year must have really hurt some people, judging by the types of threads started the past few days....................

yeah, Pop, Zooropa, and Achtung Baby should have all simultaneously won Album of the Year this year instead :angry:

Back
Top Bottom