we would've heard something by now....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
....if the album was coming out in march.

sorry, but it's gonna be a may release. (maybe):|

We really haven't heard much about the new album as of late aside from Anton having to take some new pictures. And even with that maybe the reason he is taking new pictures now is because the albumis going to be fnished soon and he can't put it off. I feel as if this may be the calm before the storm.

I was optimistic about a March release. But I agree, we'd have heard something by now. So now we play the waiting game. Just find some new bands to check out until U2 comes out with the album. Just go on a U2 diet for awhile. That's what I'm doing. Been getting into REM and the Stones a lot. Although much of the Stones later work is highly criticized, I'm loving the 1994 album Voodoo Lounge. A friend recommended a CD to me by a band named Flickerstick. It's one of the best albums I've ever heard. I can't say enough good things.

Just ignore the fact that this album will take forever to come out, and try other bands/music.

The rumors of arenas being booked etc... have already started (on the Texas Group Yahoo list), so something is going to happen sooner rather than later. :hyper:
These same sort of rumors started before the last one, but I would have to research to see how long after these type of rumors that ATYCLB came out.
Maybe I'll do that now .... nothing else to do at work on the day after Christmas! :|

this is a sad time for my U2 obsession.

i seriously was counting on the album coming out in late 2002 the way the band was talking(ex. keeping the momentum going). i'm sick of waiting. i've found other bands(radiohead, pearl jam, doves) that have given me butterflies again.

and if the new album actually features beyonce knowles, i will not buy it, and just be happy with U2's past, for it was great. but they're really starting to lose my interest.

beyonce has never been mentioned as a posability for the new album... she recored with bono for american prayer for the 46664 thing...

i agree with what EPandamerica said... there's a lot of soft talk about possiable bookings of areans/stadiums and the like for next summer... hoping that u2 has in fact learned their lesson with pop, i doubt they'd start making inqueries about a potential tour unless the album was near completion or already done.

so i'm still hoping for a march/april type release... hopefully soon... i'm still expecting a single by late january.

Maybe the band is just waiting for the holiday season to be over before making any announcements. I predict we will hear something (announcement of album title, release date, name of first single?) sometime in January.

I agree with Bono's shades. Now's not the time to make any announcement, but in a week or two, I'm thinking (well, hoping) we'll hear something.

the album will be out when they think its the right time , its all about timing.

i dont think it will be a march release(even if a single comes out in jan) right now with no real info about the album, no name, no set dates so looks like an april or may release!

time goes by so slowly and time can do so much are you still mine.

Axver said:
I agree with Bono's shades. Now's not the time to make any announcement, but in a week or two, I'm thinking (well, hoping) we'll hear something.

I remember knowing the title POP and discotechque as the first single at least in early december 1996, and album came out in march 1997.
If we hear nothing by the 1st week of january, there is NO WAY there will be a march release.

deciding when you're going to leak stuff depends on marketing strategies

since most marketing strategies tend to be bullshit they could be different around every new album release

Word on the street from all over the music bizz in Sydney town is U2 will be doin' the stadium thing here (and Melbourne) in November. Work backwards from there, cos the US and Europe will get some first...

I reckon May/June album.

I agree with Salome, it's pure marketing. Discotheque was leaked early because I believe U2 had some serious doubts regarding that album. With Or Without You did not surface until Mid-January 1987, and that album was definitely released in March of 1987, so unless you have some inside info, there is still no reason not to believe this album won't be out in March.

Homerpalooza, I have but one thing to say to that: pleasepleaseplease oh pleasepleaseplease be right, please!

I hope we get some news in the weeks to come, that would be super! I definately have a feeling it will be out in March, no reason for us not to believe that it won't be.

44 months (Zooropa/POP)
43 months (POP/ATYCLB)
38 months (ATYCLB/New Album)
37 months (Rattle and Hum/Achtung Baby)

currently we are at:
38 months

So actually if the album comes out in May it will be 43 months just like from POP to ATYCLB.

Anbd to think of all the people on this board who think this has been the longest wait we've ever had as U2 fans.

The truth is, if it comes out in April, it will be the shortest wait we've had in 10 years for a U2 album.

TylerDurden said:
Word on the street from all over the music bizz in Sydney town is U2 will be doin' the stadium thing here (and Melbourne) in November. Work backwards from there, cos the US and Europe will get some first...

I reckon May/June album.

as good as that sounds....i dont think they will tour australia until 2005....
by the time this album is out, the band finish planning the tour and all else they will be still touring america or europe in november
then come to australia/N.Z and places in febuary 2005

Technically until we speculate and nothing is officially declared no one is "right" or "wrong". So no one can really say "I told you so" yet.

Also the last time AFAIK, you claimed the album is coming out in the fall, based on that Bono article about going on tour in the fall.

U2DMfan said:
44 months (Zooropa/POP)
43 months (POP/ATYCLB)

currently we are at:
38 months

So actually if the album comes out in May it will be 43 months just like from POP to ATYCLB.

Anbd to think of all the people on this board who think this has been the longest wait we've ever had as U2 fans.

The truth is, if it comes out in April, it will be the shortest wait we've had in 10 years for a U2 album.
Don't forget that 'Passengers' was between Zooropa and Pop, and between Pop and ATYCLB work was also done on Million Dollar Hotel.

Between ATYCLB and the new album they haven't done much as a band, with only a handful of songs popping up in that time.

u2dmfan said:
44 months (Zooropa/POP)
43 months (POP/ATYCLB)

currently we are at:
38 months

i wouldn't count the days from album to album... i'd count the days from tour end to album.

so by my count...
--lovetown-rotterdam to achtung baby- 21 months
--zooropa released mid tour... does not count
--zootv-zoomerang in tokyo to pop- 38 months to first single, 39 to album
side note...
zoomerang to passengers- 23 months
passengers to pop- 15 months to single, 16 to album
--popmart-johannesburg to atyclb 30 months to single, 31 to album
--elevation-miami to today- 24 months

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:

i wouldn't count the days from album to album... i'd count the days from tour end to album.

so by my count...
--lovetown-rotterdam to achtung baby- 21 months
--zooropa released mid tour... does not count
--zootv-zoomerang in tokyo to pop- 38 months to first single, 39 to album
side note...

--popmart-johannesburg to atyclb 30 months to single, 31 to album
--elevation-miami to today- 24 months

I think that's definitely more fair. Like No Doubt, there was a five-year gap between "Tragic Kingdom" and "Return of Saturn" but most of those five years were spent touring. You can definitely write and demo songs on tour but it's a little more challenging to record, master and all that while on tour.

Back
Top Bottom