Walk To The Water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

1stepcloser

Rock n' Roll Doggie
How did this not make it onto The Joshua Tree?

Such a beautiful song, i love the imagery and the spoken word delivery of the verses. One of the most underrated songs in U2's vast artillery if you ask me.

:drool:

One of the reasons Bono mentioned in an interview back in 1987 was that the album would have ended up sounding too much like the sound track that Edge had been working on the year before i.e. The Captive! Whether he really meant this or was just pulling Edges leg is any ones guess!?!:evil:

lol i've never listened to that soundtrack before so i can't really comment.

it's a bit of a poor reason though!

Wow, a thread about my favorite U2 song ever. I LOVE the characters in that song. Desperately yearning, but guarded: "She wore canvas shoes. White canvas shoes. Around her neck, she wore a silver necklace. It was given to me by my father, she said. It was given to me."

"Let me love you."

And Bono's voice at the end. You can feel the cold streets of Dublin, the ache and yearning. Awesome, awesome song. Oh, and the drums and guitar that work together to sound like bubbles and shimmering light on the water....I've often imagined this song as the soundtrack to the end of Kate Chopin's The Awakening.

I could go on and on....

Last edited:
It's one of my favorites also. Good Stuff! LPU2, I have had that same thought about Edge's guitar sounding like bubbles(The Dude is brilliant!). Two other songs that come to mind where he does this are If You Wear That Velvet Dress (sounds like light flickering in the middle) and at the end of Streets (again, sounds like light flckering on the water). I tell you if they ever tested Edge, he'd register beyond genius level...

LPU2 said:
And Bono's voice at the end. You can feel the cold streets of Dublin, the ache and yearning.
i wouldn't go that far, but I agree it's a great track.

Actually...
I'm glad to own the song, but I don't think it really would have fit on JT.

Originally posted by Zootomic
I thought it was supposed to be about Bono's parents.

Yeah, I once thought that too ... as it has been mentioned in
"Into The Heart" that Bono 'could have been' describing the courtship of his parents Bobby and Iris since some lyrics fit ... but I've never seen anything else that's confirmed that possibility.

Here are some lyrics in this song that truly describe Bono and Ali's growing up in Dublin...

(Ali occasionally wears a silver necklace that she got from her father ...)

"Around her neck she wore a silver necklace"
"It was given to me by my father she said ... it was given to me"

(Bono painted billboard signs to advertise some of their early day U2 Dublin gigs...)
(Although, it also confirms how Bono's father was a painter too ...
but the "in large capital letters" lyric doesn't fit as Bobby painted pictures, not words ...)

"He said he was an artist, but he really painted billboards"
"In large capital letters, in large capital letters"

(And no mistake about this lyric how Bono mentioned when he first courted Ali she would "brush him away" and seem uninterested. Then Bono used humor as his weapon to win her over and soon he found her laughing at his jokes even though no one else ever paid attention...)

"He was telling jokes, nobody else would listen to him"

I love this song. It fits right in with what I'm going thru with someone. It makes me cry everytime I hear it.... :sad:

Specially this part... "Let me, love u, let me, love you, LET MEEEE!!"

:sad: :sad: :sad:

Back
Top Bottom