VERTIGO: Destined for the B-stage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
Don't get me wrong ...I like Vertigo a lot. I think it's a perfect lead off single and it is catchy enough to please everyone.

But I noticed a few things about Vertigo.

1. No drum loops, synths, or other effects --- This is just the band in their raw state with guitar, vocals and drums. No synths to cover up their mistakes or make the band sound full when playing live.

2. The tempo is very very fast for U2 --- Can Larry drum this song without losing his timing, night in night out? Doesn't he have back problems? I'd say drumming this song would be similar to Bono singing Red Hill Town every show.

3. The verses are kinda "spoken word" style and not exactly singing --- Will this be undestandable and work in a full band live setting? Aren't this tongue twisty enough for Bono to mix up and forget lyrics (which he always has a knack for) if the song is going too fast and his voice is drowned out by the guitars?

A few years back, U2 released a catchy radio-friendly song with a much more acessible tempo than Vertigo. This song was Staring At The Sun. U2 tried a few times to play it full band to no avail. They eventually ended up doing it acoustically on the b-stage. And it was quite successful. This acoustic version was even included in the Popheart Ep and the Live in Mexico vid due to its success.

I think their live problems with SATS was the tempo - Larry never got a grasp on it. Does anyone forsee the same for Vertigo?

There is a strong possibility Vertigo will not work in a live setting with the full band version, so it will probably be a B-stage staple. Vertigo could be the next SATS and end up being a b-stage classic. What do you guys think?

Cheers,

J

PS: I won't mind it being a b-stage staple, we got the album version to appreciate it full band anyway.

While your points have some truth in them, we have to remember that this song is the first single off the album.

U2 is probably going to play it live before the tours, and I think it would be a bad move on their part to release their first song in years and be incapable of playing it.

NOT. A. CHANCE.

For starters, it isn't even close to being an acoustic or b-stage song. It wouldn't work in so many ways it's not funny. It would overpower the b-stage setting.

Larry's a top-class drummer, and the fact there will be a LIVE performance of it on the DVD single proves he can play it, and they'll practice it enough so they can play it. I say SATS went acoustic due to a lack of preparation time - great shame, too, because it was so much better electrically.

The band would never release this as the lead single if they couldn't play it. Simple as that. If it doesn't work full band on the main stage, they just won't play it because there is no way in hell that it could be played on a b-stage. It wouldn't fit the concept of the b-stage and it would be HORRIBLE in the setlist.

They were well unrehearsed for the full band SATS version (it's well documented the start of the tour was like that). The accoutisc thing was a back up and a quick fix and they just stuck to it.

I don't see them releasing this as the first single for it to relegated to the b-stage as an accoustic number, it'll be an opening song, full on no doubt about it, they've also got a lot of rehearsal time to get it right, just like the Elevation Tour, and unlike the afore mentioned PopMart shows.

Also, if Larry can keep his timing on Mofo and Elevation, I've no doubt that'll he keep his timing on this.

Axver said:
NOT. A. CHANCE.

For starters, it isn't even close to being an acoustic or b-stage song. It wouldn't work in so many ways it's not funny. It would overpower the b-stage setting.

Larry's a top-class drummer, and the fact there will be a LIVE performance of it on the DVD single proves he can play it, and they'll practice it enough so they can play it. I say SATS went acoustic due to a lack of preparation time - great shame, too, because it was so much better electrically.

The band would never release this as the lead single if they couldn't play it. Simple as that. If it doesn't work full band on the main stage, they just won't play it because there is no way in hell that it could be played on a b-stage. It wouldn't fit the concept of the b-stage and it would be HORRIBLE in the setlist.

word.......

Soulrock2 said:
Though I wonder if it will have the same tempo. I doubt it to be honest...

So do I. Like everything U2 does live, it will rock harder, louder, and better. It will blow us all away. Bono and Edge are going to go nuts at the end.

This is hopefully their opener
I agree with Angela that U2 will figure what works best
Personally I just want to be screaming "turn it up loud captain!" at the top of my lungs during the concert

This is a bounce up and down - get out of your seat type of opener - Bring on the GA line!

How can this be a B-stage if they even put a live version on one of the single editions?????
If you compare Elevation studio with elevation live:
Man, will this song rock when played live...:hyper:

Last edited:
Yea, a hard rocking song like that with such fast chords wouldn't sound too great live... plus it will also most likely be the new "feature" for the next tour. Hell, the next tour could even be called Vertigo 2005! WOO!

I have the feeling that vertigo will open the show.
and it's going to kick fucking ass.
period.

I think its gonna be the show opener. Can you imagine the lights going down and you here the intro riff w/ Bono counting down. :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

Okay, okay... the idea sounds crazy at first. Until you remember a rocking little tune called "Desire." So, the tour *after* next, we just might see "Vertigo" on the b-stage. I can see it working.

brownda7 said:
Vertigo will be the first song they hit the stage with....................(hopefullly):drool:

I was adamant that the same would be the case with Discotheque but of course it was never an opener. Infact U2 have never in recent memory opened a show with the first single of the current album. It would be great if there's a Zoo Station/Mofo on this new album that would force Vertigo to be delegated to a later slot in the setlist. :)

im a drummer in a band, larry wont have any problem with this song, its a simple beat and believe me its not that fast

Back
Top Bottom