Vertigo a failer?(not a good first single)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaun vox

New Yorker
what do you all think?
its been out for awhile and i havent heard it on the radio(california) they played it alot the day it came out but since then nada.

things dont look good,, that new green day song is getting more air play than vertigo!

i dont like vertigo much but this is just .....
does any one think that vertigo is lacking something that every u2 single has. i think discotheque is way way better sounding that vertigo!

is the radio playing vertigo at all?

I'm not sure, but I believed that Vertigo was played a lot. I'm not listening to radio that much. It's on top on those download charts. But I think we should request the song more, and it's up to us (in some sense) to get it played.

But when the video is out and the single is out, I think we will hear a lot more of Vertigo.

But I think Vertigo is a great first single.

Last edited:
On first listen i thought that i would have liked the song to be a little long...
a couple of years waiting for something new...and it was all over in 3 minutes....

but staright after the second listen , i loved it...and i have since.

It's played on the radio here constantly, and not just on one station either. Also, thanks to its immense TV exposure, it's one of the most talked about songs at the moment. I'd say it's serving its purpose very well.

The guys over at Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills have plenty of stats showing that Vertigo is doing very well. Head on over there and have a look for yourself.

Not here it's not, it's been number one on all the download charts US, Germany, France and UK, it's been number 1 here for 3 straight weeks (UK) and broken records as the most legally downloaded track since they started taking charts of downloads. It's also getting solid air play on Virgin Radio and Radio 1.

But the fact remains, U2 will get less and less commercial air play no matter how good their records are. It's the nature of the mainstream beast. We live in an age where the mainstream prefer to look at pretty young things to aging rock stars. So I think U2 are doing pretty damn well still getting the mainstream airplay they get.

I like Vertigo when I see a performance of it, it seems to take it up a level. Vertigo by no means is a weak song, but doesn't have the wow factor for me personally that The Fly or Discotheque had for me.

yeah its getting a lot of airplay here too.

everytime i have the radio on, i'm bound to hear it and as the guys said, its smashing download records. its also been very well received on all the live music shows too so i reckon its successful so far, we'll just have to see how single sales go.

that said, does anyone think the success of the download of it will affect how it will sell as a single. it would be silly for it to do so phenomonally well on the downloads and them flop in the sales charts because everyones got it already.

there was an article in the paper last week about how the number one single that week was the lowest selling number one EVER (since records began) - downloads are totally taking over but i'd still like Vertigo to do well sales wise

shaun vox said:
discotheque is a kick arss song.

vertigo :huh:

You like Velvet Revolver..enough said :)

You are also forgetting thatthe proper video for the single hasn't even come out yet. I'd say Vertigo is a really high-profile song at the minute.

Oh, and its a GREAT song.

I live on the small island of Cyprus. Most of the radio stations are Greek language and the Greeks have their own rock/pop groups that get most of the coverage. I was surprised on Sunday night to hear Vertigo follow some bouzouki music on local radio - they couldn't even wait for Edge's banjo version off the DVD :)

I love the song. I can imagine that it isnt having the immediate impact that a first single like, The Fly had, but it's top of the Download chart, so that can only be a good thing. I personally, have only heard it on the radio once, but I dont listen to the radio that often anyway.

Id have liked it to be slightly longer, maybe 3:50, summat like that. Maybe the album version will be longer(?)

The facts are that the song is doing well. It has been #2 on Modern Rock radio for 2 weeks and is about to make it a third week at #2. Everytime somebody does not hear a song on their local station, they jump to conclusions. There have been so many posts about this, and if someone just goes to Peeling Off Those Dollar Bills, they will have their answers.

I won't go into details, POTDB has this covered, but if you want perspective on it the single it is doing better in week four than any since Discotheque.
B-Day took several more weeks to break the top 40.

As far as I know it gets lots of air play here. I rarely turn on the radio so if I can turn on the radio and I hear Vertigo that's a good sign that the ratio of play is up.

Also, it's getting talked about a lot here by people who never said a word about U2 before, everyone telling me that they like the song, people who haven't liked them since JT. And that iPod commercial is getting them a lot of exposure, too. Altogether, people I know who have never even mentioned U2 before are coming up to me and telling me they like the song and want to know when the album is coming out, so it's a good thing.

They are definitely reaching a newer and possibly more fickle audience with this one. I predict it will make big bucks. The long-term fans will just have to grin and bear it, stick by our band.

The song is great!! In southern Canada it is played on the radio ALOT and all my friends seem to realy dig it!!! (age 19+)

A friend at my work like heavy metal and doesn't really like U2 was impressed when he eard Achtung Baby, and enjoyed Vertigo on the radio, before he even knew it was U2, impressing him yet again!!!

Many people who were'nt too interested in U2 have told me they like the new song, knowing i'm a big fan!!!

I'd call it a BIG success!!! And we've heard better songs on the album!!! (ABOY/COBL)

U2004/5!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please try to remember the life cycle of a single folks. A successful single will last 6 months to over a year on the charts. Worrying about vertigo four weeks in isn't something you need to do. We don't even have a video yet.

Honestly, all the i-tunes commercials will probably do more for the song than radio ever could. (They played it TWICE on Sunday during the World Series. That's 20 million people watching!!!)

This is a massive single! In relation to the last two albums, I maybe only like Kite and Gone more than this and they were non-singles. So yes, I enjoy this single more than any single they have released from the last two albums.

shaun vox said:
what do you all think?
its been out for awhile and i havent heard it on the radio(california) they played it alot the day it came out but since then nada.

things dont look good,, that new green day song is getting more air play than vertigo!

i dont like vertigo much but this is just .....
does any one think that vertigo is lacking something that every u2 single has. i think discotheque is way way better sounding that vertigo!

is the radio playing vertigo at all?

Where do you live Shaun? Vertigo is a hit so far in the States.

Regardless of its merits Discotheque is the single that ruined U2's reputation in America. It was an initial hit (due to the anticipation for new U2) that subsequently bombed in the States. For years
afterward I would hear people badmouthing U2 because of Discotheque. "Serious" music fans called it a sellout. (I don't agree).
Dance and techno fans called it an amateurish attempt to jump on their bandwagon.
Casual music fans thought it was just cheesy.

My opinion? Discotheque is a good song. Vertigo is a GREAT song.

Discotheque is way better than Vertigo, no doubt... I still love Vertigo though. To tell you the truth, I don't care about the success of their new album, all I care about is whether it's good.
Really, I think Vertigo is very catchy, I haven't heard it on the radio yet, but I don't think I heard any radio since it came out anyway...

This seems like it has turned in to a Discotheque vs. Vertigo thread. It started out as asking whether it was being played alot and whether it is a good first single. Living in Los Angeles, I can tell you that it is being played on 3 different stations here quite often. So far so good. And as someone stated before, we won't be able to tell the strength of the single until we see its lasting power.

Oh by the way, Vertigo is far supperior to Discotheque,

God Part III said:
Discotheque is way better than Vertigo, no doubt...

Of course there's doubt. It's just your opinion. :wink:

Here let me give you an example of how ridiculous your statement is:

"Red Light is way better than Where the Streets Have No Name, no doubt..."

Just because you say "no doubt" doesn't mean you're Gwen Stefani. :huh:

Sorry, mind fart.

Is that what its all about, how good its going to do in the charts? Who cares, what we wanna know is the song fantastic and in my opinion, while being a good song but not a great song, it does not compare to lead off singles in the past like The Fly, Discotheque and even Numb(being very different at the time, wasn't a single I know but first on the radio). Just my opinion on the songs quality and not whether its gonna sell a shit load of copies cos quite frankly who gives a fuc# if U2 are number 1 or number 41, not me thats for sure!

i hear it alot on the radio...

plus its only on tv every 2 seconds with the itunes commercial.

id say its doing the job u2 wanted it to do.

I guess it depends on the stations I listen to 3 staions in So.CA and one is Rock/pop the other is Alt Rock and the other is Indi rock...I actually have called 7 times to these different staions requesting the song to be played..cause I dont listen to it as much..either that or I keep missing it as I change staions...I see the ipod ad more than I hear it on the radio "AND" when I do request it from the dj's they comment on what a great song Vertigo is....
This Love
American Idiot
gets played "a LOT!"

rjhbonovox said:
Is that what its all about, how good its going to do in the charts? Who cares, what we wanna know is the song fantastic and in my opinion, while being a good song but not a great song, it does not compare to lead off singles in the past like The Fly, Discotheque and even Numb(being very different at the time, wasn't a single I know but first on the radio). Just my opinion on the songs quality and not whether its gonna sell a shit load of copies cos quite frankly who gives a fuc# if U2 are number 1 or number 41, not me thats for sure!

You're right in the end, but this is a U2 forum. What else are we going to talk about? Everything little thing is what we do here.

And charts matter for picking up new fans. They matter for the tour. If the album didn't sell and you and I were the only ones who cared they probably wouldn't be mounting a tour. And history judges on popularity to some extent. The beatles were a chart band and so were the stones at one time. So in some respects it does matter.

Back
Top Bottom