U2's Thirteenth Album: Aimless Uncertainty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We can discuss the conversation via PM, but the bottom line is that your playful joke about groping was not cool.

You should have probably taken it to PM in the first place. I also encourage you in future situations like this to step back and try to determine if someone is really being a creep or completely messing around on an internet forum.

Obviously if this was a place of work and Employee A approaches Employee B and says "I promise I won't grope you too hard", then there's a huge problem and Employee A should probably be terminated.

On an internet forum when Poster A responds to what appears to be a playful jab from Poster B about their signature (which is quoting a Disney movie for crying out loud), it comes across as extremely petty when Poster B plays a victim card when it appeared to be playful jabbing on an internet forum.

Since a moderator here took a personal attack on my character recently regarding my ability to apologize, I will be above that and say that I'm sorry if my comment offended you, though I still highly urge you to examine the above scenarios.

Whatever U2 do, I hope they don't take Jimmy Iovine's advice. Here's an anecdote from Trent Reznor:

"We were on Interscope. And I have had Jimmy Iovine, the president on that label, come up to me on every record from [2005's] With Teeth onwards saying I should do some sort of urban thing — it was Timbaland for awhile, then it was Pharrell for awhile — because 'that's how you sell records.'
"The idea seemed so preposterous and insulting. I'm not talking 'Let's go make a record with Dr. Dre' because that would be kind of cool. What he's talking about is making your record sound like what's on the radio, whether it's appropriate or not. And that's what Chris did.
"I think that when somebody who is respected like he is goes that route, it sends the message that it's OK to give up any kind of core values you had to be the fashion of the moment. I don't think it's OK. I think it's harmful."

This!

Although I didn't go to Lovetown or ZooTV....so, maybe I don't count!

I've seen every tour since War, I gotta say ZOOTV was unbelievable on so many levels, it seemed like the the band was at the top of it's game add in the Zoo stuff.... just incredible.

And yes Cosmo you count!

Here's a cool stunt U2 could pull if want a lot of attention for their new music.

Release an album.
Include a download of tracks that didn't make the album, and the multi tracks of those that did.
Hold a competition for fans to make their own U2 album.
Pick the 5 best as judged by each member, and the band as whole.
Release them as official high quality downloads and maybe a box set for record store day.

That way they get to release a record, keep it in the media for a long time, and break the barrier between fan and band in a way that no-one has done before. It also sort of saves them from really making a final decision.

Whatever U2 do, I hope they don't take Jimmy Iovine's advice. Here's an anecdote from Trent Reznor:

"We were on Interscope. And I have had Jimmy Iovine, the president on that label, come up to me on every record from [2005's] With Teeth onwards saying I should do some sort of urban thing — it was Timbaland for awhile, then it was Pharrell for awhile — because 'that's how you sell records.'
"The idea seemed so preposterous and insulting. I'm not talking 'Let's go make a record with Dr. Dre' because that would be kind of cool. What he's talking about is making your record sound like what's on the radio, whether it's appropriate or not. And that's what Chris did.
"I think that when somebody who is respected like he is goes that route, it sends the message that it's OK to give up any kind of core values you had to be the fashion of the moment. I don't think it's OK. I think it's harmful."

interesting! I'm assuming he's talking about Chris Cornell there..

Aren't Trent and Iovine working together on Beats, now? I wonder if there's any bad blood here...

Guys/Gals....I've cracked the code!

It seems that U2 news comes when the following takes place in Interference:

1) conversation about alleged inappropriate posting by members here

2) Nazi talk

3) U2 News

So, we have the updated alleged inappropriate posting. Headache/Nick(don't remember who exactly it was)..... You need to Change your avatar back to mock Nazis. Once that is done, U2 album news will come out within 4 days!

We also need 1.21 gigawatts of electricity.....wait, that might be for something else, but let's get it anyway

Aren't Trent and Iovine working together on Beats, now? I wonder if there's any bad blood here...

:|

If there's any bad blood you wonder if the $$$$ that's to be made smoothed any bad blood.

This!

Although I didn't go to Lovetown or ZooTV....so, maybe I don't count!

I also agree that Elevation Tour, although when looking at setlists and listening to bootlegs, was a fantastic tour. It's U2's "You just had to be there" moments, especially post 9-11.

Yeah, he's talking about Cornell. Reznor and Iovine are working together now, but maybe not too closely. Or maybe he's an alright guy who just doesn't understand the people he works with. I mean, what kind of moron would think that one of the best rock wailers ever should work with Timberlake and Nelly Furtado's guy?

I bet he's behind their decision to have more pop songs on NLOTH and work with William. He did feel that the early (superior) version of Bomb wasn't commercial enough...

I also agree that Elevation Tour, although when looking at setlists and listening to bootlegs, was a fantastic tour. It's U2's "You just had to be there" moments, especially post 9-11.

yeah, it was spectacular. i liked it a lot more that popmart and vertigo. when i saw them on vertigo bono seemed to be going through the motions, and the 360 bootlegs I've watched were the same. i don't think he has the intensity to carry the old U2 songs any more.

You should have probably taken it to PM in the first place. I also encourage you in future situations like this to step back and try to determine if someone is really being a creep or completely messing around on an internet forum.

Obviously if this was a place of work and Employee A approaches Employee B and says "I promise I won't grope you too hard", then there's a huge problem and Employee A should probably be terminated.

On an internet forum when Poster A responds to what appears to be a playful jab from Poster B about their signature (which is quoting a Disney movie for crying out loud), it comes across as extremely petty when Poster B plays a victim card when it appeared to be playful jabbing on an internet forum.

Since a moderator here took a personal attack on my character recently regarding my ability to apologize, I will be above that and say that I'm sorry if my comment offended you, though I still highly urge you to examine the above scenarios.
1e6d7673b63eb690447300ef57a17079.jpg

yeah, it was spectacular. i liked it a lot more that popmart and vertigo. when i saw them on vertigo bono seemed to be going through the motions, and the 360 bootlegs I've watched were the same. i don't think he has the intensity to carry the old U2 songs any more.

Post-surgery Bono was a lot better on the 360 tour. The last leg were some of the best U2 shows I've seen. Granted, I've only seen them on Elevation, Vertigo and 360, but the old songs were carried just fine in 2011.

Also, yay, London! Looks like Bono was in Ireland yesterday but the rest of the band is there, hopefully working?

Don't ask. I don't want to know.

Bono was in London, he was spotted several times, there were pictures of him posted on twitter and facebook and he was out dining with Stella McCartney (the infamous middle finger also showed up). So I guess they are all working in London and Adam is living there with his wife.

I think you can disagree on one thing and still agree on another thing and work together on a project without hating on each other just because you once disagreed on something. I don't see why they shouldn't work together on Beats music. Trent can still have his opinion and Iovine can still work the way he does, but maybe there's something they have in common and they can share by working on the Beats project together.

Though that headline is disturbing. Writing for U2 -- though the article doesn't mention him actually writing, just that "sessions were completed."

My reaction too. While the Vertigo Tour had some great setlists, I just remember having an empty feeling compared to the Elevation Tour. Though I will say that U2 made up for it a bit on the Chicago 9/21/05 show. That was a really good show, but still fell short to the feeling in the room they had on Elevation.

http://m.billboard.com/v/News/RyanTedderCantStop

"and former tourmates U2 have just completed sessions with Tedder for their long-in-the-works 13th album."

Apparently Ryan Tedder has already recorded his sessions with U2?! Hmmm

I wonder if one of Billboard's anonymous sources RE the possible delay is Ryan Tedder.

it's conceivable he was interviewed at some point in the past weeks, prior to their "Exclusive."

I don't know. I agree the Elevation Tour had that extra special feeling, but some of the Vertigo shows I went to were also excellent.

It gets a lot of shit on here, but the few times Vertigo closed the show (spontaneously), it was pretty f'ing awesome. Particularly in New Jersey after Larry did his drum solo to end 40, and then went into the beat for Vertigo, and the rest of them came back out. There were some really awesome shows, plus some great songs unearthed for that tour. And that version of Discotheque, sadly only played twice, was awesome.

edit: And Bad closing shows was pretty special too.

Man, this Tedder fellow has worked on some really terrible songs.

I have a feeling that we're going to get U2's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing...

U2's choice of collaborators has slipped just a bit since 1984. Imagine if they'd worked with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis or Mutt Lange ... that's basically what they're doing now.

Given the praise heaped on this hack by Iovine, I wonder if this terrible idea goes back to him.

And yes, it's a terrible idea. It might not lead to a terrible result, but it's a bad idea.

I don't know. I agree the Elevation Tour had that extra special feeling, but some of the Vertigo shows I went to were also excellent.

It gets a lot of shit on here, but the few times Vertigo closed the show (spontaneously), it was pretty f'ing awesome. Particularly in New Jersey after Larry did his drum solo to end 40, and then went into the beat for Vertigo, and the rest of them came back out. There were some really awesome shows, plus some great songs unearthed for that tour. And that version of Discotheque, sadly only played twice, was awesome.

edit: And Bad closing shows was pretty special too.

I was at all of the Jersey shows and that was pretty cool :up:

To quote Bono, it seemed that "God was in the room" during pretty much every Elevation Tour I have watched. The one I saw in Vancouver was amazing. Something about the spirit they had then....almost a resurgence from the aftermath of their disappointment with Popmart, and now back to arenas. "After the flood, all the colors came out," was most definitely the vibe of that tour. Was a special time to be a U2 fan. Vertigo on the other hand seemed more corporate, and more political. "Streets" lost a bit of its etherealness with the Africa tie in, as great as the intention was. Just my opinion of course.

I wonder if one of Billboard's anonymous sources RE the possible delay is Ryan Tedder.

it's conceivable he was interviewed at some point in the past weeks, prior to their "Exclusive."

So Recording sessions completed then...? This is tremendeous :up:

They're probably doing some final tweaking with Epworth at this point

Cool news !

Last edited:
imo, Pop is the last U2 album with a good tracklist.

I need to sit down and do a custom Pop tracklist. :yes:

I've actually got PopMart on now....sooooo much potential. :drool:

Here's a cool stunt U2 could pull if want a lot of attention for their new music.

Release an album.
Include a download of tracks that didn't make the album, and the multi tracks of those that did.
Hold a competition for fans to make their own U2 album.
Pick the 5 best as judged by each member, and the band as whole.
Release them as official high quality downloads and maybe a box set for record store day.

That way they get to release a record, keep it in the media for a long time, and break the barrier between fan and band in a way that no-one has done before. It also sort of saves them from really making a final decision.

I'm in. Where do I sign up? :hyper:

Post-surgery Bono was a lot better on the 360 tour.
Vorsprung durch technik. :D

Ryan Tedder Can't Stop: Writing for U2, Elton John (and Everyone Else) While OneRepublic Enjoys Career Highs: Cover Story | Billboard

"and former tourmates U2 have just completed sessions with Tedder for their long-in-the-works 13th album."

Apparently Ryan Tedder has already recorded his sessions with U2?! Hmmm

He probably just did one, maybe two songs at best. I know when he was called in for the last One Direction album, he only did "Right Now" (out of the 14 tracks that made Midnight Memories).
The bonus edition has 18 tracks. :shh:

At any rate, with any luck this is GOOD news. :up:
I'm still saying that Burton did the entire first album and all this Tedder/Epworth stuff is for album #2.

Epworth's productions are bit boring and safe though, and his mix if Ordinary Love is pretty bad. I wonder what convinced U2 they're a pop group. They're very clearly on the rock side of pop/rock.

I'd be more excited if they were working with David Holmes or Nick Raskulinecz. How do they not know that my excitement is all that matters?

Man, this Tedder fellow has worked on some really terrible songs.

I have a feeling that we're going to get U2's I Don't Wanna Miss A Thing...

U2's choice of collaborators has slipped just a bit since 1984. Imagine if they'd worked with Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis or Mutt Lange ... that's basically what they're doing now.

Totally agree. I made a similar observation in the previous thread with a snarky quote about bringing in Quincy Jones to work on The Joshua Tree. Ugh.

Back
Top Bottom