U2's Thirteenth Album: Aimless Uncertainty?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's funny because Iovine was ready to release the Chris Thomas album in the fall of 2003, so apparently he thought it was good enough. Plus, he knew U2 would go towards a successful 4th quarter. From what we've heard of the original versions, U2 made the right decision. However, if they'd have just released it, we'd have all been happy and none the wiser that Native Son could've been Vertigo. We'd have gotten an album/tour a year earlier.

There are certain aspects of Native Son that I wish would've lasted into Vertigo, but yeah... Native Son would've BOMBED (heh) as a first single, and then people would've been making about how the album was an ATOMIC BOMB!

I always laugh when people day that Native Son was a better song than Vertigo.

Hi. My name is mikal and I like warm hugs.

I really didn't like the 1.0 versions of the HTDAAB songs.

For me, HTDAAB is a great collection of songs from 2001-2004. It's badly recorded and does not feel like a cohesive album, but it is a great collection of songs.

And the Vertigo tour was the best U2 live show since Lovetown.

I really didn't like the 1.0 versions of the HTDAAB songs.

For me, HTDAAB is a great collection of songs from 2001-2004. It's badly recorded and does not feel like a cohesive album, but it is a great collection of songs.

And the Vertigo tour was the best U2 live show since Lovetown.

imo, Pop is the last U2 album with a good tracklist.

Mikal, common sense called and would like you to know that there is a line and this

I wouldn't grope you too hard.
was over it. Please do not pull that shit again.

I'd say where it actually feels like the band actually discussed the tracklist before the album release. :wink:

I do feel like they struggled with the track listings for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I know that a lot (most?) people on this board dislike the middle of NLOTH, but I feel that it is intentional. It's what they meant it to be - one album crashing into the middle of another.

I do feel like they struggled with the track listings for ATYCLB and HTDAAB. I know that a lot (most?) people on this board dislike the middle of NLOTH, but I feel that it is intentional. It's what they meant it to be - one album crashing into the middle of another.

I'll give you that. The middle 3 although awful may have been intentionally married to each other on that album.

Just to see how it would "feel" i have listened to all 4 trilogys of the band . By themselves. Like take 3 albums and just hit shuffle. I have to admit 00-09 flowed together the best. Not even because its my fav trilogy just something about it. I would have guessed 84-88 before that would have flowed together the best.

Just to see how it would "feel" i have listened to all 4 trilogys of the band . By themselves. Like take 3 albums and just hit shuffle. I have to admit 00-09 flowed together the best. Not even because its my fav trilogy just something about it. I would have guessed 84-88 before that would have flowed together the best.

i've done the same and have to admit that 00-09 does flow well. even though it's my least favorite era.

Is that a good thing? I wonder if that's simply a reflection of a lack of experimentation?

that or the production just matches up better. And dismantle by itself sounds like it doesn't match up. But somehow it felt "right" when i listened to everything on shuffle. Could be that they were in the same mind frame over the last 10 years. They knew what they wanted more other eras. Planning was better . Of course that would suggest they didn't plan everything out in the other years. And that produced classics like TJT and AB.

that or the production just matches up better. And dismantle by itself sounds like it doesn't match up. But somehow it felt "right" when i listened to everything on shuffle. Could be that they were in the same mind frame over the last 10 years. They knew what they wanted more other eras. Planning was better . Of course that would suggest they didn't plan everything out in the other years. And that produced classics like TJT and AB.

Again, I don't see these qualities as necessarily positive. To suggest they've been in the same mind frame for 10 years feels a lot like saying there was a lack of progress.

The genius of U2 was always that they would reinvent themselves. War was completely different from The Unforgettable Fire. Rattle and Hum and Achtung Baby sounded like they came from different bands,

Back
Top Bottom