U2's most emotional live moment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
U2 had several moving moments in their live shows, which was the most heart-wrenching in your opinion?

The satellite images and brief talking to the people from the war-torn Sarajevo on Zoo TV,
"mothers of the dissapeared" on stage, reading their children's names in South America on Popmart,
or 9/11 list on the final part of Elevation tour/Superbowl?

I would go with the 2nd option, las madres de la plaza de mayo, the mothers of the disappeared on stage in the end of Popmart concerts, both in Buenos Aires and Santiago. I was there in Buenos Aires, and I can tell you, that was pure emotion, really.

Cheers
MT

Last edited:
i would say Where The Streets in Elevation (Slane Castle),but these ones earlier mentioned as well

..."Fuck the revolution!"

...and that performance of Running To Stand Still, where he was standing out alone in the smoke and light, slapping up a vein and screaming when he fell to his knees "shooting up". I about passed out. I never saw anything more intense in my life.

Last edited:
There are so many!

The most emotional for me will always be Streets. Also Kite and Please.

Why are people saying Streets? The emotion of that doesn't even come close to the aforementioned SBS rant or the whole Popmart Sarajevo show.

No question Streets is always emotional in concert but I think the question was a particular incident, not only a song in general.

"F#@% the Revolution!" has to be it. His whole scream sends chills down my spine. Runner up would have to be the Super Bowl when the names starting rolling on the screen-WOW!

I wasn't there, but I'm guessing the Aug. 21, 2001 Earl's Court concert was pretty emotional, even if it didn't show.

Ft. Worth Frog said:
"F#@% the Revolution!"
Good thing he didn't deliver it like that. "BLEEP THE REVOLUTION! Unless you disagree, in which case I respect your opinion. Gee, I hope I didn't offend anyone."

For more poltically charged profanity, see: "Bullet the Blue Sky," Wembley, 11 August 1993. God bless our foul-mouthed Irishman.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
For more poltically charged profanity, see: "Bullet the Blue Sky," Wembley, 11 August 1993. God bless our foul-mouthed Irishman.

Call me crazy, but that's one of the best quotes I've seen all week.

More on what I said earlier (I was at school and not meant to be on Interference so I was rather rushed) - sure, Streets may be an emotional occurrence at a concert, but it's not an absolutely major event like the "Fuck the Revolution!" rant, Bono jumping off the stage at Live Aid, or the 23 September 1997, Sarajevo and 21 August 2001, London gigs. Those four incidents are part of history, really (well, the first three I listed at least).

the whole slane 1 concert, in particular kite and one.
you sort of had to be there to know what i mean

U2 is a band that is about emotions, a band that has really touched me with tons of emotional moments, to single out one moment would be to lie, I can remember almost crying while I was watching U2 play Stay on the live broadcast from Sydney, Bono almost crying out singing Kite in Slane, the moments in Santiago, Buenos Aires and Mexico City during Popmart concerts mentioned in other posts, the Elevation concerts with the NY Firemen and Policemen, but I think that maybe the most emotional moment, a moment that touched more ppl and made them become U2 fans, has to be Live Aid, maybe for the exposure or whatever, but I'm sure that July 13, 1985, is the day U2 have won more fans, and they did it by sheer EMOTION.

For me personally, it was the Madison Square Garden show right after 9/11. that was an amazing night on so many levels - mostly, because i was still alive & celebrating it with some great music.

Stories for Boys said:
zoo tv love is blindness live into can't help falling in love...gets me every time i hear/see it.

yes, yes, yes........

I had forgotten about this, until I read it here. I was thinking that the 'Fuck the revolution' and Bad at Live Aid were the ones that I thought were the most emotional, but I wasn't there, but, I was at a Zoo Tv show and I remember just being blown away with Love is Blindness at the end, I can still remember it so vividly right now- it was so haunting, emotional and beautiful:heart:

rafmed said:
U2 is a band that is about emotions, a band that has really touched me with tons of emotional moments, to single out one moment would be to lie, I can remember almost crying while I was watching U2 play Stay on the live broadcast from Sydney, Bono almost crying out singing Kite in Slane, the moments in Santiago, Buenos Aires and Mexico City during Popmart concerts mentioned in other posts, the Elevation concerts with the NY Firemen and Policemen, but I think that maybe the most emotional moment, a moment that touched more ppl and made them become U2 fans, has to be Live Aid, maybe for the exposure or whatever, but I'm sure that July 13, 1985, is the day U2 have won more fans, and they did it by sheer EMOTION.

Very well said indeed. Live Aid was a defining moment not only for U2?s career, but for many people who became U2 fans after that, like me.

Btw, it may have been only me, but I thought that we were supposed to choose one out of the tree options that U2girl offered. From those three, the Mothers of Disappearead on stage would be the most emotional IMO.

Cheers
MT

Beginning of Beautiful Day at Notre Dame at the start of the 3rd leg of the Elevation Tour. "The Heart is a Bloom.....The heart is a Bloom.....shoots up..from stony ground"

Last edited:
San Antonio PopMart - The whole show was very emotional cos it was the day after Michael Hutchence died. He cried during Gone, One, Wake up Dead Man. It was just a whole show dedicated to him

Walk On - Tribute To Heroes 9/11 - "sister see you when I get home"
Streets - Super Bowl - 9/11 - red flicker sticks - screens with scrolling names

The 2002 Super Bowl Halftime Show was the most emotional I've seen (I haven't seen U2 perform very often, unfortunately). It was a caring, elegant tribute to those who'd lost their lives on that horrible day. It brought tears to my eyes. Everyone I've spoken to, even those who aren't fans of U2, were touched, and say it was the best Halftime show ever.

I also remember the Live Aid performance, and it was beautiful. Were they going to release Live Aid to DVD? I'd love to see their performance again.

Back
Top Bottom