U2's 1st SNL performance (2000) ... download and compare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DPrinceNY

War Child
I wanted to compare U2's 2 SNL performances. Which one is the better of the two? Personally I would place the 2000 SNL performance above the latest one, even though doing a 3rd song was a major plus.

If u never saw the 2000 performance or need a reminder, I made some links...
beautiful day:
http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=09BE6928603E84AEF00798548F111779

elevation:
http://s20.yousendit.com/d.aspx?id=0794EE6E9BEB78F9C0BAEDE8269EB11A
Enjoy:)

Hope u guys have high speed these are large files approx. 45mb each.

DPrinceNY said:
I wanted to compare U2's 2 SNL performances. Which one is the better of the two? Personally I would place the 2000 SNL performance above the latest one, even though doing a 3rd song was a major plus.

Thanks for those. :up: However, I think you're off your gourd if you thought 2000 was better than 2004's. Bono's voice is PAINFUL to hear in both songs, so hoarse, so flat.

The piped in vocals of Beautiful Day, if it had been done this time, would have stoked the Ashley Simpson story. And Bono's 000 000hs in Elevation - *sigh* - nasty.

Vertigo had more energy than these two combined, and the SYCMIOYO performance was simply one of the best SNL has ever witnessed.

The 2004 performance OWNS the 2000 attempt hands down.

Last edited:
i downloaded BD to compare then to the recent performance, and based on that, this new one is waaaaaaayyyyyy better to me! his voice sounds so much stronger now! the earlier was a pretty good performance but this one was awesome.

Actually I thought Bono sounded better on those two performances than what I remember the time that I saw it (especially Beautiful Day). Not awesome vocals but better than I remember. Still both were great moments and the Lennon lyrics added by Bono were great. Bono jumping out into the crowd for the first time ever (for Elevation) was more exciting IMO than this last Saturday Night Live jumping into the corwd moment (though the lapdance got some bonus points for entertainment value alone). Part of it was it being U2's first SNL performance and it was the first time that I ever remember a band or singer walking out into the crowd and the cameras showing everything. Also Bono's Lennon bit at the close of Elevation was awesome...

SNL 2 was a better show b/c of the extra songs and techincally closing with I Will Follow. However, IMO, Elevation was the best song performance out of all the songs we've seen on TV.

By the way, thanks DPrinceNY

speaking of SNL, I was walking in Times Sq. tonight and saw Kevin Nealon shooting commercials. This was at around 5:45pm. I went to the ESPN Zone, came out 2 hours later, he was still there! Man works hard.

Yeah u guys are right, the voice presently sounds a lot better. Maybe its just me liking the 2 songs they played in 2000 alot more then the more recent ones.

But come, the elevation performance was crazy. Bono jumping on the table, the crowd going wild and singing along, and those extra lyrics at the end....amazing

DPrinceNY

Thank.you!

I missed this back in 2000.... Still liked 2004 a bit better, but this was AWESOME too!

Thanks!!!!!

DPrinceNY, great stuff. Yeah I remember seeing the 2000 peformance and being mortified with Bono's voice. They had just played the Irving Plaza show a few days before and he sounded great and then this...???

I will give the B-man props for taking an off-key, hoarsed out Elevation and making it one of the best moments on Saturday Night Live, ever. I enjoyed his singing more this time, but the surprise of him jumping into the crowd during Elevation can't be topped.

Having seen both on TV when they aired and then, of course, taping them and having the digital versions for some time, I always felt that "Beautiful Day" fell flat. The song didn't have that "oomph" I thought it needed. It was a good performance, but not great.

Then came "Elevation". Yeah, Bono's voice was raw for the "oooh-oooh" bit, but he was fine for the rest. And his hoarse voice actually made him sound more John Lennon-like, which was great considering it was (sadly :( ) the 20th anniversary of John Lennon's death. The energy for "Elevation" was outstanding and I think it caught everyone by surprise.

Come 2004, U2 have to top themselves. "Vertigo" was reminiscent of "Beautiful Day" to me, but better. It had more energy and "pop" to it - still not fantastic, but now a better opening performance. "Sometimes..." was beautiful and showed the slower side of U2 - something not seen on SNL.

As for the third song, I personally would've preferred "All Because of You" over "I Will Follow". However, "I Will Follow" is a classic U2 song and it gave Bono that chance to meander in the crowd. When he first walked in the crowd, I felt he was doing it just to repeat the success of 2000 (with "Elevation"). But Bono is a showman and he figured out a way to top himself! That lap dance easily wins.

Therefore, if we consider that U2 played 3 full songs and were clearly going to play a 4th, and we add in the lap dance, the 2004 performance overall "wins". But I'd rather rather by song:

1) I Will Follow - 2004
2) Elevation - 2000
3) Sometimes... - 2004
4) Vertigo - 2004
5) Beautiful Day - 2000

Overall, the more recent was definitely better. Some of Bono's notes in the first one sounded PAINFUL. I have to agree though, that it was extremely exciting for everyone when Bono went into the crowd for the first time.
Me thinks that some of the front row audience chose their seats for a reason the second time around :yes:

Back
Top Bottom