U2 - still relevant

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think that I should hear it before passing judgement

a novel concept that might win me a nobel prize

well, you can't go wrong with Pet Sounds
it's the ATYCLB of the 60's :D

the beach boys catalogued has been re-released digitally remastered last year
if you can find the sunflower / surf's up re-release I strongly suggest you give it a try

back to U2:
next album all acoustic?
A) yes
B) yes!
C) yes!!

Basstrap said:

it also occurred to me that U2 have lost almost all their influence. After Achtung Baby, U2 gradually began their decline into irrelevance.

U2 did not lose their influence. When ATYCLB was released Bono said "people are now sick of manufactured music, its so sweet too much will make your teeth rot. Who are Steps anyway?". They he said nothing beats "hand-played music." After ATYCLB, we saw a decline of boybands and girlgroups. Then we started seeing real bands and real hand played music - from Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, Alicia Keys, Josh Groban and so on. The boybands like 98 degrees, Backstreet Boys -- where are they now? And where are Steps? This is all because of the ATYCLB-effect.

So U2's influence is still very present.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

Last edited:
Are U2 still relevant? At this point I think they still are. ATYCLB may not be my favorite U2 album, but it wasn't crap and millions and millions of people loved it. It certainly gets respect from critics and other musicians. However, if the next album ends up sounding like ATYCLB Part II I think they may be in trouble.

Re: Re: U2 - still relevant

jick said:

After ATYCLB, we saw a decline of boybands and girlgroups. Then we started seeing real bands and real hand played music - from Avril Lavigne, Vanessa Carlton, Michelle Branch, Alicia Keys, Josh Groban and so on.

what the hell is it with you and these horrible "bands"?!?! avril lavigne isnt real! vanessa carlton is crap - all those "bands" arent good. please, for the love of sweet meats stop comparing u2 to these cesspools!

Tip Top Prince said:
Who give a fuck about relevance or influence?

You either like a song or you don't. You either like an Album or you don't.

Put a CD in the player and let it take you to another place and stop trying to be so intellectual.

:applaud: Exactly!

Anyway, like I said, who is relevant today? Some of you would say Radiohead or Coldplay just because you like them. But I don't care for either of those bands, and I fail to see anything relevant in what they're doing. If you like them fine, but what may be relevant to you may not be to someone else, so the main thing is what is relevant to the entire music scene, which brings me to this: most of you trashing ATYCLB as not relevant don't like it because you like Pop and it was different, but what was so relevant to the world or the music scene about Pop? ATYCLB was much more important a record, as I explained in my first post here. So it all comes down to just what Tip Top Prince said- WHO CARES?! You either like it or you don't! :yes:

Originally posted by Arw9797
Let's see, who was big at the time ATYCLB came out? Backstreet Boys, Britney, N Sync.... I just don't get why people say that album isnt' good because I think it helped wipe out the boy bands

:up: Right! Another good point! When it was released, Bono said, move over boys, we're the MEN! :yes: He was right! ATYCLB and U2 made people realize how important real songwriting and intrument playing were, until now even the teen pop types feel worthless unless they do it too!

are you such a dreamer to think u2 was the reason why boy bands became uncool? wow. i believe your perspective needs some sharpening before you can say that without people around the world laughing their fool heads off.

and, as much as i hate to bring radiohead into this, your asking for it. radiohead and coldplay (whom i dont like) are very influential, and to say no other band other than u2 is important these days is reaking of sheer ignorance.

you need to be exposed to some different music.

Duh, I HAVE listened to their stuff and I don't like it. Thom Yorke sounds like he has his balls caught in one of those strings that pulls on your curtains and Chris Martin sounds like a whiney old woman with hemorroids. Coldplay only rips off U2 and Clocks sounds just like The Unforgettable Fire so if they're influential U2 is too LOL! I don't see anyone being influenced by Radiohead and Coldplay. The next big thing is the White Stripes, Vines, Hives, Strokes and that type of rock.

So again it's like Salome said, we can't judge relevance on someone's personal opinion. The only time relevance speaks for itself is when it becomes a part of our culture the way The Beatles did.

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
The next big thing is the White Stripes, Vines, Hives, Strokes and that type of rock.

uh, no.

just give it up already. to say radiohead and coldplay arent influential is downright foolish.

and to say you havent heard anyone be influenced by them, maybe you need to stop watching your mtv and top 40.

thatd be great, milton, thanks.

this thread would have to be subtitled: "I do not listen "commercial/popular" music and for that reason I know more of music than you, I'm very intellectual"

*note: commercial or popular music doesn't mean that is bad music (for me)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:
Chris Martin sounds like a whiney old woman with hemorroids. Coldplay only rips off U2 and Clocks sounds just like The Unforgettable Fire so if they're influential U2 is too LOL!

HEY leave Mr. Martin's voice out of this! :mad:

lol a whiney old woman with hemorroids. wow i really don't want to know what that sounds like.

Clocks and UF i don't see the comparrison.

In my opinion a band's influence can only be measured over a long period of time. Of course, when a band releases a great album, you get a whole bunch of young bands that try to sound like that band. Does that really mean that a band is influential and/or important? When Nirvana released Nevermind, everyone wanted to sound like that. In the 90s there were a lot of bands that inspired other bands (i.e. Smashing Pumpkins, Pavement, Dinosaur Jr, Afghan Whigs). Each in their own way. All these band have ceased to exist. Nowadays bands want to sound like Radiohead and even Coldplay. Which doesnt mean that these bands don't make great music.

What's really important is the definition of "relavance /importance". U2 has touched the hearts of people during a period of 25 years, still makes records that make the top 10 in charts over the world. U2 has been popular here in Holland since the beginning, yet they had their first nr. 1 hit with beautiful day, and their 2nd with elevation. Beautiful day even entered the charts at nr. 1, and so did ATYCLB. Concerts of the Elevation tour were sold out witin minutes. So how can anyone say U2 is not relevant.

A lot of the so-called influential bands dont name U2 as their influence, just because it is not cool to say that you're influenced by a band that sells millions of records and plays in front of thousands of people. In other words, U2 is considered commercial. Yet, you can hear the sound of u2 in dozens of records of the last 15 years or so, and i see one Bono after another, but then are called Ed, Chris and so on.

So don't ever tell U2 is not influential or relevant.

MrBrau1 said:
Who are the bands being influenced (ie;copying or cashing in) by the Radiohead sound?

That question will be answered in the next ten years Mr. Brau, is that your name, your name again, Mr. Brau?

cujo said:

That question will be answered in the next ten years Mr. Brau, is that your name, your name again, Mr. Brau?

So for all we know ***** may be a greater influence/relevance than Radiohead. We'll have to wait and find out. Ha!

MrBrau1 said:
So for all we know ***** may be a greater influence/relevance than Radiohead. We'll have to wait and find out. Ha!

Fair enough. Damn it. In terms of guitar style, that may be true... having taken lessons in the recent past, I heard a lot of C to the REED riffs... Save us. Spare us.

u2popmofo said:
You suck Cujo, poopoohead.

It wasn't me... I told the players next door to "Turn up the good, and turn down the suck".

We all know that your #1 guitar influence is Mark Tremonti.

Oh, how great he is. Those '80's hair band riffs, wow. How fantastic.

Basstrap said:
very very much so, my dear satan goat head

anyway...my opinion is that on the grand scale of things, ATYCLB is not an important album and, whereas pop aged beautifully, it will age badly. I think years down the road it will be lost amongst the better u2 albums.

my point is...if they continue on that road, they are in danger of becoming one of those washed up bands.

It's ironic that the closest U2 came to being thought of as washed up by the general public was after POP. That just shows you how important it is to be thought of as "relevant", when so much of this "relevance" is seemingly based on how many copies your last album sold.

I think that the songs on POP that worked then still work now; but IMO Mofo has not dated well.

Still relevent? Who the hell can think they are not still relevent? They had the high grossing tour in 2001, they had a highly successful album, still making great music. And your still asking if their relevent? If you keep putting down the band, don't listen to them.

Strato Edge said:
Still relevent? Who the hell can think they are not still relevent? They had the high grossing tour in 2001, they had a highly successful album, still making great music. And your still asking if their relevent? If you keep putting down the band, don't listen to them.
:yes:

It was a member of Radiohead who recently stated that U2 are still relevent, 20 years after they been together. He also said Stuck In A Moment was one of the greatest songs ever written.

It's funny because it's a song off ATYCLB, an album that a lot of people here seem to hate. I find it interesting that U2 are still influences to Radiohead, probably one of the best bands out there right now.

MissVelvetDress_75 said:

HEY leave Mr. Martin's voice out of this! :mad:

lol a whiney old woman with hemorroids. wow i really don't want to know what that sounds like.

Clocks and UF i don't see the comparrison.

Sorry about insulting your honey :uhoh: Even though I don't like him I know how mad it makes me when somebody disses Bono so I'm sorry! :reject:

But I don't know how, being a fan of both bands, you don't see the similarities of the two songs. The piano stuff alone does it for me, along with the rises and falls of the song. It reeks of UF.

Originally posted by Red Ships of whatever

and to say you havent heard anyone be influenced by them, maybe you need to stop watching your mtv and top 40.

Actually I haven't had MTV since November when my cable got cut off. But I hadn't watched it much since it all went to hell after Kurt Cobain's demise, whether or not it had anything to do with it, it was about that time. I don't think I watched it again until 2000 to look for U2 videos when ATYCLB came out. What torture I endured!:scream: I don't even know what's top 40 anymore. I gave up Casey Kasem years ago. I agree with Mr. Brau, who are these bands allegedly influenced by those bands? :scratch: And, my biggest question, how could a person who criticizes ATYCLB for being too slow like Coldplay? They are very slow and boring IMO and they're not even old enough to be adult contemporary!:crack:

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Sorry about insulting your honey :uhoh: Even though I don't like him I know how mad it makes me when somebody disses Bono so I'm sorry! :reject:

lol don't apologize. i was teasing. i actually found your insult pretty amusing. if he were truly my honey, well yeah i may be a little upset. ;)

but i understand. there are many comparrisons about coldplay to u2, but i don't get them, maybe because i hear the more of their stuff that is not mainstream. and it is no where like u2 or radiohead. and i can see how radiohead fans would be insulted by the comparrison.

all the bands are different have brought significant value to music. Coldplay was nice enough to recognize the 20th anniversary of U2 playing at Red Rocks last Friday and pointed out how important U2 is to music today. Coldplay has much appreciation for U2 and vice versa!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom