U2 Go Home Is Awesome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Diemen said:

This I actually whole-heartedly agree with. As much as I love the Slane show, I'd much rather have seen their past concert videos get put onto DVD before this one.

Yep, me too.

AIWIY:heart: so sweet how Bono dedicates this to Ali. Beautiful song for beautiful woman.

WTSHNN WOW!! I am completely speechless. This I think was the best video shot of U2's ever bc it showed how completely nuts we get when that song comes on. LOVED IT! :hyper: and it gave me the chills watching it.

PRIDE One of my all time favorite U2 songs and so I love it when ever they play this song. I remember wanting to hear this song so bad during my first U2 show ever (Popmart 6/21/97) that I cried when they started playing it.

BTBS Awesome light affect with the hand held light. I actually own one similar to what Bono was carrying around. It was very interesting to see what was on the screens behind Larry this time bc during the 3 shows I went to I was able to see them that well.

WOWYI love the fact Bono sang "Stars in the Summer Nite" part, that is my favorite ending for the song. I am glad he didnt take anyone out of the audience :shifty: :laugh:

ONEWOW!!! I love this song. Thats all I can say about it!!:heart:

WO I love this song for the simple reason that it's very uplifting and it was the first song of music I listened to after 9/11. I thought it was funny bc when the song started I expected Bono to sing U S A!!! but then I realized I was thinking of the 3rd Leg of Elevation.

Extra:

MW Very cute and I thought Eve made a perfert bellydancer for her father :lol: Its so awesome to see the interaction between Bono and Eve bc all we as fans ever get to see is the band's personas.

INTROS OF THE BANDI thought it was great the way Bono intro the band and it was hillarious when he got to Edge and said I dont know where we got him from :lol:

OVERALLI think this dvd is awesome and well worth the money. I know some people when viewing the dvd are prolly trying to see if Bono hit the right note or if Edge was off key. I myself I dont do that bc I am way to in the music and the emotion that is involved and plus I dont like to try to find others faults. I just enjoy the music. So that is why I thought this show was awesome and bc they show the interaction that happens between the band and the crowd every concert.

Hmm can someone from American soil give me some extra info on this DVD (region 1) please. I'm wondering are the subtitles available on this DVD? If so what subtitles? Are there subtitles for the songs also?

Many thanks for the info..

Cheers

U2 Go Home is nothing great. Boston had better audio and video quality. Better lighting. Better cinematography. The bass in Slane was muddy, unlike Boston which was pristine and clear. The video quality of Slane was also grainy.

The only area where Go Home beats Boston is in the setlist department. Slane (save for Myseterious Ways) was the complete setlist in virtually the correct order while Boston was a mix of both nights and some songs intentionally mixed up in order. The setlist of Slane was also better because it featured more songs from the "golden age of U2" (the 80's) than the Elevation DVD. And the mandatory POP song in Slane (Staring At The Sun) was much more bearable than the one in Boston (Gone).

Performance-wise, the whole band hits more sour notes and misses more cues in Slane than in Boston. Or perhaps Boston was overdubbed.

It's a pity how U2 got duped by a few noisy fans who wanted Slane to be released on DVD, when they still have a backlog of works to put to DVD, particularly UABRS, Zoo TV Sydney, Popmart Mexico and the Best Of 1980-1990 videos.

The last thing we needed was a hurriedly made Elevation tour show (we already had Boston) just to cash in on the Christmas season. If you are just a lukewarm U2 fan reading this review (chances are you aren't because no "lukewarm" fans would visit this forum), I'd suggest Boston over Slane any day.

Cheers,

J

It was sold out locally until today. If it's as bad as some of you claim, then I'm glad I haven't seen the Boston show. I won't have time to see it until Monday though:(

Can someone please answer if this DVD has The Unforgettable Fire documentary as well? I don't think anyone here has mentioned it, yet from what I read on the zootopia advert, it's supposed to have it. Thanks!

Thanks, Dieman. That's really cool. Is it the entire orignal documentary, or did they edit it down at all? I guess you wouldn't know, having never seen it before.... It would be great to have the entire thing on DVD!

I'm in agreement with J.....two DVDs from the same tour?! The filming in Boston was kind of forced. Why Boston? Why not in Chicago, where the fans are just as great if not greater than Boston? Besides, the Chicago shows from the first leg all kicked ass, especially Chicago 4, when they opened with like 6 or seven Achtung Baby songs!!!

.....and I TOTALLY thought that Edge was totally joking when he said that there would be a new DVD in time for the Hols. Now I feel like an idiot for doubting the reality of such an idea (two DVDs from one tour).....

Santabono said:
.....and I TOTALLY thought that Edge was totally joking when he said that there would be a new DVD in time for the Hols. Now I feel like an idiot for doubting the reality of such an idea (two DVDs from one tour).....

Edge doesn't lie or exaggerate, unlike Hewson. So normally, what he says is true.

Cheers,

J

Last edited:
anitram said:

J has dissed a U2 product?

This thread is now complete. :wink:

"Nothing great" is not a diss. Not every product can be great. That's different from saying the product was horrible.

Cheers,

J

Can someone PLEASE tell me if there are (english) subtitles on this DVD (USA region 1)? I'm asking again because noone replied to my previous post! :(

Santabono said:
I'm in agreement with J.....two DVDs from the same tour?! The filming in Boston was kind of forced. Why Boston? Why not in Chicago, where the fans are just as great if not greater than Boston? Besides, the Chicago shows from the first leg all kicked ass, especially Chicago 4, when they opened with like 6 or seven Achtung Baby songs!!!

This is because of the large Irish presence in Boston!

By the way, if you haven't realised already, Jick is just winding you guys up! He started off by criticising some things and when he saw how people took it, he does it now more than ever.

All you have to do is ignore him and he'll eventually stop. Trust me, it's a horrible thing to be ignored!

JTH

OK...my two cents... (I have not read this entire thread, so these points may have been brought up before and argued to death, but I offer my thoughts).

I finally got the chance to watch the entire INCREDIBLE concert from Slane and fully understand why this was released.

#1. We, the fans, asked for it. Sometimes they listen!
#2. Elevation Boston represents the Elevation Tour, captured as other tours have been captured, planned filming. Bono has stated that these are not his favorite concerts due to the necessary different lighting, which effects the crowd and his spontaneous response to the crowd.
#3. Slane was an event, a homecoming. Thank goodness there were two planned shows. The timing of the first show, directly after Bob Hewson's death, certainly would have prevented a release of this first show. The second, as stated in the DVD liner booklet, was a hooley! The homecoming excitement and celebration of life enveloped everyone, especially the band! This release showed what we have experienced at so many U2 shows, a personal connection, AND SMILES FROM ALL!

Thanks for the birthday present boys!!

Now get that :censored: album out!!

only $10 to go...wooohooo, practicing for when I do see it. I like this smilie combo

:yes: :heart: :yes:

i think it actually says in the boston dvd liner notes that the shows they taped weren't as good as they had hoped, and that the new york shows that followed were spectacular and how they wish they had filmed them or somethin' like that :shrug:

the only thing i remember about the boston show on the dvd was watching streets and elevation durring halftime of game 1 of the lakers vs. 76ers nba finals (which the 6ers won, and then lost the next 4... why i remember this, i do not know)... i almost didn't watch 'cause i was going to a show at the garden and a show at the meadowlands the following week and didn't want to spoil the spectical... i watched, and it didn't spoil...

desperately needing a new u2 album and tour these days... need that fix... it's like crack

That's what my roommate said after I woke her up at 5 in the morning playing it too loud.(again) Well I couldn't sleep, what was I suppose to do? and it can't be too loud, how could she even think that. You're hopelessly addicted, she said. :shrug:
She's right!!! :bono: :larry: :edge: :adam: :love:

I bought the "Digipak" version; having a Jewel CD case containing a DVD really wouldn't have fit well amongst my other DVDs side-by-side.

Content-wise, you really can't complain. The highlight, for me, is the DVD release of the "Unforgettable Fire" documentary. Quite a nice bonus! In terms of technical quality, it is very mediocre, if you watch it on a computer monitor / progressive scan HDTV. They over-compressed everything. Maybe you could excuse the video portion, if they never intended to shoot it for general release, but the menus? Artifacts everywhere. Overall, it is a DVD release that only true fans could love...and judging by the reviews in here, it's quite true. :)

Melon

Santabono said:
Why Boston? Why not in Chicago, where the fans are just as great if not greater than Boston?

:eyebrow:

Do I sense some jealousy from a Chicagoan?

They have to plan this stuff ahead of time. Sure, they might shoot all of their shows, but if you want the good quality shit, you have to plan in advance. They chose Boston, perhaps because it is the "Irish" city, although I clearly do not know why they choose certain cities over another.

It is a gamble, essentially, where they hope that there aren't any real blunders. I think it is a good DVD concert.

Melon

Only

$4.99 to go :hyper:

Should this thread be kept alive or will someone make a new one when we open our Christmas presents?
I still haven't found the BIG TV I'm looking for............

On ESPN Radio today Dan Patrick asked his producer, Phil the show killer, to get him (dan) the U2 Slane DVD for christmas... dan'o's a big u2 fan, often playes u2 songs as intros back from commercial breaks... perhaps he's lurking here on the boards... :hmm:

well if you're here dan... welcome to the big show...
danPatrick.jpg

I Got IT!!:hyper: :hyper: :applaud:
but I'm not going to watch it 'til the circumstances are....just right.

maybe dan patrick's got a big television.:flirt:

Back
Top Bottom