U2 classics after 1991?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The "classic" is that song that a non-fan listens to the radio and recogizes it immediately, identifying it as a U2 song.

Mysterious Ways, One, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo and SYCMIOYO are the only true classics. Then, other songs can be called classics too but not in the same plan as the others above: Walk On, Stuck In a Moment, Sweetest Thing, EBTTRT, Discotheque. And then it all depends on the sucess that each song made in a country/region. For instance, COBL was a massive #1 hit in Western Europe, so it's easily more popular than Electrical Storm or than Lemon or Stay.

Aygo said:
The "classic" is that song that a non-fan listens to the radio and recogizes it immediately, identifying it as a U2 song.

Mysterious Ways, One, Beautiful Day, Elevation, Vertigo and SYCMIOYO are the only true classics. Then, other songs can be called classics too but not in the same plan as the others above: Walk On, Stuck In a Moment, Sweetest Thing, EBTTRT, Discotheque. And then it all depends on the sucess that each song made in a country/region. For instance, COBL was a massive #1 hit in Western Europe, so it's easily more popular than Electrical Storm or than Lemon or Stay.

So you're saying songs like With or Without You, Still Haven't Found..., and Pride aren't classics? :huh:

Edit: Whoops, sorry about that. I obviously read the post out of context. You're just talking about post-91 U2. My bad. :wink:

Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Lemon
Numb
Stay
Hold Me ...
Miss Sarajevo
Discotheque
Staring At The Sun
Mofo
Please
Beautiful Day
Stuck In A Moment

I think U2 are guilty of what they have done. I mean, they hurry to catch easy pop teens of the noughties ruined their reputation of classic songs :ohmy: . It's clear many friends here don't remember when EVERYBODY knew Even Better Than The Real Thing, Mysterious Ways or Lemon, or when EVERYBODY tried to learn Numb lyrics !!. Please was voted on www.u2.com (before it became www.u2.con) by the fans as the most important song of Pop Album ... remember that poll when we had to vote for just one single song per album?.

I Will Follow
Gloria
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Bad
With Or Without You
All I Want Is You
One
Stay
Discotheque
Beautiful Day

I think those were the songs selected, so EVERY song must be called a Classic :yes:
None of the HTDAAB is a classic song yet

:wave:

Stay,
Sweetest Thing,
Beautiful Day,
Stuck In A Moment,
Walk On,
Vertigo,
Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own,
City Of Blinding Lights

Stay
Please
Beautiful Day
SYCMIOYO gets close

And UTEOTW is most definitely a classic U2 song. But a classic also has to have been

A) Played live many times
B) Has had some commercial success

Otherwise, the list would be far too long.
:wink:

One
Until the End of the World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
The Fly
Ultraviolet
Acrobat

Zooropa
Stay
Dirty Day
The First Time

Your Blue Room

Discotheque
Mofo
Gone
Please

Beautiful Day
Stuck In a Moment
Walk On
Kite

Electrical Storm

Vertigo
City of Blinding Lights
All Because of You
Original of the Species

That's alot. Not all were hits though, which doesn't really matter.

One
Mysterious Ways
Stay
Discotheque
Beautiful Day
Vertigo

Thats what id say the "non-U2" listener would probably recognize as being U2 and giving them an excuse to say U2 sucks!

:)

You'd be surpisded what most people recognise.

I know a lot of people who love 'Numb'

Back
Top Bottom