U2 & Guitar Hero... at last!?!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Only Aerosmith and GH4 have been shown as of now, so i'll take this as a huge rumor.

BTW GH4 looks awesome. It's like Rock Band plus I think you can play with friends against other bands and you can record and release your own created songs with original drumming/guitar/bass/etc. Shaping up really nicely.

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Guitar Hero is a massive waste of time. :sad:

Please tell me I'm not the only one who thinks Guitar Hero is a massive waste of time. :sad:

:wave: (though as much as playing any other video game is a waste of time. That doesn't stop me from playing them, though.)

I'd rather a U2 first person shooter, but I don't really know how that'd work.

I had no idea you were such a snob, GG. :tsk:

The note charts are so ridiculous and impossible that it's nothing like playing a real guitar, so they're not really comparable. :shrug:

Really? And you've been here for how long? :wink:

Ugh, I don't know. I don't see the point. I get far more enjoyment out of the real thing. Why freak out about the possibility of being able to play U2 songs on Guitar Hero when you can play them right now on an actual guitar?

i'd rather they'd make a rollercoaster park simulator starring the guys from U2 for the pc... or maybe a wrestling game.

You could take the first person shooter concept and modify it slightly. Instead of playing as a guy with a gun, you play as a PLEBAn with an assortment of love letters and aphrodisiacs. The aim, obviously, is to rabidly pursue Bono and pepper him with everything in your arsenal until he falls over in defeat. By entering a special code, you can see your player "ravishing" him.

I don't know if I'd want to play that kind of game, though.

Really? And you've been here for how long? :wink:

Ugh, I don't know. I don't see the point. I get far more enjoyment out of the real thing. Why freak out about the possibility of being able to play U2 songs on Guitar Hero when you can play them right now on an actual guitar?
Why play Madden when you can go out and become a defensive lineman
Why play Call Of Duty when you can join the army and shoot at commies
Why play Need for Speed when you can buy a ferrari and do 150 down the 405

Video games are a form of entertainment. No one who plays Guitar Hero uses it as a substitute for learning real guitar. Almost every top player in the world has years of real instrument experience to begin with.

You could take the first person shooter concept and modify it slightly. Instead of playing as a guy with a gun, you play as a PLEBAn with an assortment of love letters and aphrodisiacs. The aim, obviously, is to rabidly pursue Bono and pepper him with everything in your arsenal until he falls over in defeat. By entering a special code, you can see your player "ravishing" him.

This is just disturbing. I really can't see myself playing it through a second time.

Those are all things that the average person cannot do. Anyone can pick up a cheap guitar and get years of enjoyment out of it.

catlhere said:
No one who plays Guitar Hero uses it as a substitute for learning real guitar.

I guess you've never met my friends...

Alright, this is a lie. I would play it the second time, but only to get the cheat skin that makes you look like Shaun Vox.

Good lord. Someone call a copyright office right now. This thing will shift more units than Halo 3!

:drool: you would make millions ..............

and yes for christs sake get a real guitar, u2 songs arent that hard ! even i can play em .

What about Larry hunting all down all the disgruntled fans who sat down in 'the heart' during the filming of the Elevation DVD? If looks could kill...then I'd hate to imagine what he'd have done if he'd had an actual weapon that night.

OR

The player, using Bono as a character, hunts down and kills everyone who refuses to Make Poverty History. Most of the enemies could be faceless politicians and bureacrats, and the big end-of-level bosses could be world leaders who refuse to have audiences and photocalls with Bono.

Even though I hate the amount of time my son spends playing GH3, I have to admit it has really re-sparked his interest in learning real guitar. When he was very young he had an accident where he cut off his right index finger (it was reattached albeit with some limitation of movement) and so he developed into a lefty. Writes left, shoots left in basketball, shoots right in hockey, throws left, etc. When he first picked up the guitar, he wanted a left hand guitar to play it strumming left and fretting with the right. That wouldn't be such a huge deal except that his right index doesn't fully bend at the top joint, which makes it difficult to finger with his right. On the other hand, because he had always used his left for everything else, he didn't seem to have the coordination in his right to strum with any rhythmic consistency. Not to mention that his brain didn't want to tell his left hand how to finger. So he tried it upside down (Geldof?) but that didn't seem to sit well either...So he pretty much let it go, and took up drums instead. He'd fuck around on the guitar but it was discouraging for him.

Enter GH3. It has been amazing to watch what it's done for him. He's developed the dexterity and mental communication to the left hand to fret with, and the rhythm to strum with his right. Now he plays a normal guitar easily, his fretting dexterity is a hundred times better and his interest in guitar lessons has increased incredibly.

Ok, so I know that his is not your average story and remember I do kindof hate the amount he plays GH, but I can definitely see how it is a good tool to get kids who might not have been (or been able to be) interested in pursuing it further.

Plus, a U2 GH would be great so I could get a break from the crap music included in GH3 (I mean, it's really hard rock centric and I get bored of that quickly)

So on both counts, go GH and especially a U2 version!! :drool:

This has been rumored for a while -- at least six months.

I can't really see this being a huge game. Edge's technique doesn't lend itself to a lot of fret shredding -- he relies much more on effects pedals and alternative voicings for chords. This is not to criticize his lead lines, but the Dsus-D-D2 strum at the end of With or Without You is a good example of the things he tends to do. Which don't really lend themselves well to GH, which is all about fret exercises.

Video games are a form of entertainment. No one who plays Guitar Hero uses it as a substitute for learning real guitar. Almost every top player in the world has years of real instrument experience to begin with.

Well, this isn't really an accurate comparison. Being a real NFL player, a real soldier, and a real Ferrari driver are incredibly difficult things to do on many levels. They all require some mixture of a lot of time, money, or luck. Whereas playing real songs on a real guitar doesn't require too much of any of that. With the money you would spend on a video game system, you can buy an affordable guitar and affordable effects to play along with a DAW. And people can learn songs pretty quickly.

I've played Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and they're both fun in their own way. I can definitely see how they could be a lot of fun at a party if everyone involved was a bit drunk. But I've also been playing guitar since I was 12, and I can honestly say that the hardest difficulty setting on Guitar Hero is so hard that it would be easier to learn how to actually play the song than to learn how to beat the song in the game.

Well, this isn't really an accurate comparison. Being a real NFL player, a real soldier, and a real Ferrari driver are incredibly difficult things to do on many levels. They all require some mixture of a lot of time, money, or luck. Whereas playing real songs on a real guitar doesn't require too much of any of that. With the money you would spend on a video game system, you can buy an affordable guitar and affordable effects to play along with a DAW. And people can learn songs pretty quickly.

I've played Rock Band and Guitar Hero, and they're both fun in their own way. I can definitely see how they could be a lot of fun at a party if everyone involved was a bit drunk. But I've also been playing guitar since I was 12, and I can honestly say that the hardest difficulty setting on Guitar Hero is so hard that it would be easier to learn how to actually play the song than to learn how to beat the song in the game.

Especially the amount of effort invested in practicing with Guitar Hero. I played it the other day and I began to wonder if it wouldn't be an overall better move to go practice some scales on my real guitar than to figure out how to get through "Hit me with your best shot" with a 100% rating.

Those are all things that the average person cannot do. Anyone can pick up a cheap guitar and get years of enjoyment out of it.

Of course they can, anyone can play football, drive in a race, and pretend to be a soldier to much the comparable extent as they'd be rock star if they just 'picked up a guitar'.

The point of video games is you get transport yourself into a situation where a you're a PRO at it, that's the difference, and on that level the analogy used is quite fitting. The chances of the home guitarist ending up on a stage in front of thousands of cheering fans are about as slim as they are as the guy who throws the pigskin around on the weekend actually getting to play in an NFL game.

Only Aerosmith and GH4 have been shown as of now, so i'll take this as a huge rumor.

BTW GH4 looks awesome. It's like Rock Band plus I think you can play with friends against other bands and you can record and release your own created songs with original drumming/guitar/bass/etc. Shaping up really nicely.
you think? :tsk:

The point of video games is you get transport yourself into a situation where a you're a PRO at it, that's the difference, and on that level the analogy used is quite fitting. The chances of the home guitarist ending up on a stage in front of thousands of cheering fans are about as slim as they are as the guy who throws the pigskin around on the weekend actually getting to play in an NFL game.

You know what I do when I want to feel like a rock star? I pop in a music DVD, plug in my guitar, shut my eyes, and play along. It's a great feeling, and I certainly don't need a lame video game to experience it.

Bingo!

To me, playing GH3 has nothing to do with real guitars, or imagining myself as a rock star. Or even music. It's all about beating those goddamn coloured dots and feeling ridiculously pleased with yourself when you get them right, :D

At its core, it's basically an enhanced version of all those old arcade computer games I loved so much as a child and still find insanely addictive now.

Back
Top Bottom