The Joshua Tree remastering (comparisons)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jmelrose said:
According to the credits, the "Outside It's America" documentary was ALSO filmed on July 4, 1987. What a busy day for the boys!!

Esp since they were in America and then turned around and flew to France. ;)

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I noticed that 'error' too...I remember seeing this documentary the day before Thanksgiving, 1987...I thought I'd never see it again...:up:

Perhaps they meant that the concert footage in the doc was recorded then or they finished recording it then. The documentary follows them around for a bit on tour so how could it be said to have been filmed on one day?

Dana

rihannsu said:

Perhaps they meant that the concert footage in the doc was recorded then or they finished recording it then. The documentary follows them around for a bit on tour so how could it be said to have been filmed on one day?

Dana

I was being sarcastic in my original posting. They obviously couldn't have soundchecked, boot shopped, photo sessioned, drank/played pool at a bar in Gila Bend, had lunch by the pool, and then spent the night closing a c/w bar in Arizona on the same day as playing a show in France that afternoon (time zone difference aside).

Sorry I was unclear in my earlier posting.

I cant help but think there is such a difference in the remastered version because the originals were sub standard sound wise compared to other recordings around at the time. The same is true right up till today. Some of the worst, most muddied and lifeless sound recordings i have ever heard were u2 studio ones!

gman said:
I cant help but think there is such a difference in the remastered version because the originals were sub standard sound wise compared to other recordings around at the time. The same is true right up till today. Some of the worst, most muddied and lifeless sound recordings i have ever heard were u2 studio ones!

It's funny in the booklet - Adam talks about how Streets has turned into such an amazing song and that it's odd how much they screwed it up in the studio. He said it sounds like he is playing bass with boxing gloves!

I'm not sure they're the WORST, but I think anyone expecting the remaster of The Unforgettable Fire to bring it up that which we expect of digital recordings is going to be sorely mistaken. Even the MFSL gold disc of TUF has a lot of tape hiss on it. Recording an album in a castle may add a lot of atmosphere, but it doesn't bring with it a lot of state-of-the-art fidelity or recording technology.

(Not that I think the album isn't worth revisiting... just that those who expect miracles may be disappointed.)

I'm not sure this is really better than the MFSL mastering. It's great though...and for those who never heard the MFSL discs now you can without paying through the nose or getting them by "other" means.

I do think the B-sides got the same treatment; check out Spanish Eyes...not the rarities though, hiss in all its glory.

What would have been even better would possibly have been a DVD-Audio version of the CD even though that format really hasnt taken off and probably never will...still would have been nice to hear it.

Yahweh said:
What would have been even better would possibly have been a DVD-Audio version of the CD even though that format really hasnt taken off and probably never will...still would have been nice to hear it.

It would have been better still for them to have put out a SACD Hybrid disc. You can put the CD audio and the muti-channel hi-rez audio on the same disc, and it will play on a regular CD player.

Depeche Mode did this with the European releases of their remasters.

But, yeah, both of those formats are dead. Honestly, I think all physical formats will be dead soon. Hopefully we will get multi-channel hi-rez lossless audio from iTunes or the like once the bandwidth is there.

I'm listening to the remastered original album disc right now.. the piano on RTSS is much clearer... very beautiful.. to be honest I'd never REALLY CONSCIOUSLY thought of it as a piano before.

I'm also realizing the single version of Streets (on the bonus disc) has Edge's vocals cranked loud, while they aren't even audible to me on the original or remastered JT version.

I wasn't even sure he'd sung vocals on this track on the album, anyone think that could be a 2007 addition?

No... the original CD single had this version on it back in 88. Edge's vocals were notably louder in that as well, and for that reason it was the version i put on all my high school mix tapes!

jmelrose said:
No... the original CD single had this version on it back in 88. Edge's vocals were notably louder in that as well, and for that reason it was the version i put on all my high school mix tapes!

Ah, ok, thanks. Weird. I like it much better with Edge's vocals; glad they put it on the bonus disc! I guess to add it to the album version this time around would've been considered too big a tweak from the original album; I wouldn't mind if they had though!

dr. zooeuss said:
I'm listening to the remastered original album disc right now.. the piano on RTSS is much clearer... very beautiful.. to be honest I'd never REALLY CONSCIOUSLY thought of it as a piano before.

I'm also realizing the single version of Streets (on the bonus disc) has Edge's vocals cranked loud, while they aren't even audible to me on the original or remastered JT version.

This and hearing how good the last 3 songs sound just pushed me over the edge (won't even say it). :combust:
Haven't gotten it yet, but will have soon. :drool:

sue4u2 said:

This and hearing how good the last 3 songs sound just pushed me over the edge (won't even say it). :combust:
Haven't gotten it yet, but will have soon. :drool:

:up:

I am not a "completist" but think this was definitely well worth the money. The new hard-backed book write-ups by everyone (with the unfortunate absence of Larry), the documentary, Paris concert, and other video bits are AWESOME as well. DVD version highly recommended :wink:

Back
Top Bottom