THE GREATEST BAND NOBODY HAS HEARD OF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tomtom

Acrobat
SIGUR ROS

They are an Icelandic band, consisting of 4 members-lead guitar/vocals, drums,bass and keboards. But the guitarist plays with an E-bow, and sings in a language called Hopelandish, a mixture of Icelandic and English. If anyone saw Vanilla Sky, there were 3 SR tracks used in the movie, most notably in the final scene(roof). I am not even going bother to describe the power of this band and their music. Simply no words. This is (The Bends+ Nebraska+ Kid A+ Zooropa) X The Joshua Tree.(Im talking about the sound not that its better than all of these albums). All I suggest is that you listen to Flugufrelsarinn and Nj?snav?lin (get them from audiogalaxy). And if you dont like them kick my ass.

i dont have a lot of money to buy their cd, and i havent found time to download any of their stuff yet, but your post convinces me.

i will download them yet today, and let you know what i think. thanks for the heads up.

------------------
-death bear

I've heard some good things about this band in the past, you've convinced me to download some.

I'm liking what I'm hearing so far.. any other songs to recommend?

I didnt actually mention their biggest hit which is called svefn g englar. I also loved vi rar vel til loft r.

From allmusic.com-

"The album pumps in the morning mist with "Sven-g-englar" ? a song of such accomplished gorgeousness that one wonders why such a tiny country as Iceland can musically out-perform entire continents in just a few short minutes."

saw a video of theirs with gay teenage boys playing soccer. I was intrigued by it and the music sounded good. Looking for it used somewhere so I can take a listen to the whole album.

Originally posted by Se7en:
Guster.

Hells yeah!

Second greatest show I've been to. Well, 3 of them. I'm anxiously awaiting the new album.

-Mike

------------------
My U2 Bootleg Archive
*Down until January 21st.* For special requests, or uploads, contact me in the MP3 forum.

This is (The Bends+ Nebraska+ Kid A+ Zooropa) X The Joshua Tree.(Im talking about the sound not that its better than all of these albums).

I don't think Sigur Ros sounds like these albums. They're more in the vein of "Godspeed, You Black Emperor!".

Agaetis Byrjun is the only album I have and I liked it. They've got some odd sounds on it that work, like using a violin bow on a guitar (to create that aeroplane sound).

foray

Sucks to you,foray. Whats wrong with getting a little attention with a statement like that
wink.gif

Seriously though, the critics have compared SR to Godspeed... everywhere I have seen. But in my opinion, they are very similar to Radiohead in a number of ways as well, except that I think ths guy uses his voice better than Thom Yorke on Kid A/Amnesiac. Otherwise, they have definite resemblance to the soundscapes of the Unforgettable Fire as well, and some of Brian Eno's stuff.

All said and done, I think they are a very unique band with great songs. Now I just need to learn Hopelandish.

Sigur Ros is a great band. I picked their CD up back in July and I must say it is some of the most beautiful music I've ever heard. Thank God their name isn't as long, hard to remember, or hard to pronounce as their song titles. They resemble Godspeed You Black Emperor a lot. The Radiohead resemblence isn't so strong though. It reminds me of some of Brian Eno's work. Obviously you can't understand the lyrics, but who cares, it sounds wonderful. I saw them live on HBO and it was pretty entertaining. Anyway, go forth and download and buy theri stuff.

------------------
"I swore to my father I'd never do hamster-style again."

"looking for the sound thats gonna drown out the world
looking for the father of my two little girls
got the swing got the sway got my straw in lemonade
looking for the face i had before the world was made." - MOFO

Where I live, U2 fits in this thread

------------------
In New Delhi freedom is a lifestyleDecember (13),Oh Remember we are starting again.

Whatever band I'm a part of. (LOL). If you knew me you'd realize me in a band is a funny thought.

Here's a list that few people have heard of.

1)Loudon Wainwright III: Folk/Pop/Humourist who's been around since the early 1970's. His latest album is called "The Last Man On Earth".

2)Leonard Cohen: If you like Bono's lyrics I'd recommend this guy. His nearly 70 years old, but he's by far one of the most noticable vocalists of our time. His new album is called "Ten New Songs"

3)King James Version (KJV): Really cool, live band from Stillwater, Oklahoma. I swear they will make it big someday, and you'll all see what I mean. Talk about a great group of performers...these guys are among the best regional bands I've ever seen.

overhere in australia:

radiohead

and all assortments of GOOD MUSIC

fucking commercial stations try to fuck with our heads by putting everything in a little small fucking box, and no fucking risks being taken

end result- freaking destiny's child, the corrs, and Bryan Adams songs ive heard for the last 20 yrs

yes sigur ros is a good band

a bit mellow

one thing stopping me listening to them ad nauseam like u2, radiohead, depeche mode, underworld and co.

they DONT dont sing in english

i have to like 'feel' the lyrics instead

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

It's all very spacey and moody. I first saw the video for Vidrar Vel a few months ago on MTV2. Very original, and not at all like anything else out there. They recently won the Virgin Megstore Award for Artistic Achievement, which is all about artists that make great music, but don't necessarily sell well. I think it might be worth it to add the CD to your collection, if for no other reason than background music.

------------------
Change is the only constant

This is why I love this board. You guys got me in to Coldplay last year so I'll trust you on this one.

Also, Starsailor is amazing! Kind of like Coldplay and Travis. They will be big one day. Ally and I saw them earlier this month with a couple people from U2NYC and we're going to see them again in two weeks at an in store appearance in NYC. Definitely worth checking out.

Ooooh Sigur Ros is awesome! And are one of Bono's favorites (at least currently) so I've read. Which is why I looked them up in the first place.

From the land of the Sugarcubes/Bjork...Icelanders seems to create the most interesting and ethereal music! (must be all that bitter cold, the erupting volcanoes, and the isolation of being an island)

I've been hearing more and more about Sigur Ros...so they may be known soon enough.

i agree w/ sharky- starsailor is quite good! i think that they're popular over in the UK, but here in the States few people have heard of them. go to their website- www.starsailor.net - to download some of their songs. (also, for anyone in the NYC area, they're doing a free performance on Jan 8th at Sam Goody in the Village- 8th St. and 6th Ave.- to promote the US release of their first album.)

Ryan Adams is also very good- i got his "Gold" CD for christmas, and can't stop listening to it.
smile.gif

Originally posted by tomtom:
I didnt actually mention their biggest hit which is called svefn g englar. I also loved vi rar vel til loft r.

From allmusic.com-

"The album pumps in the morning mist with "Sven-g-englar" ? a song of such accomplished gorgeousness that one wonders why such a tiny country as Iceland can musically out-perform entire continents in just a few short minutes."

OMG thank you tomtom! I was in New Orleans once, and was watching some small-scale music program... anyway this music video came on and I fell into a trance! I loved it so much! Then as they flashed the band name + song title I had my head turned and only caught a quick glimpse
frown.gif
BUT sven-g-englar looks so familiar, and I remember the band being from Iceland. This is definately good stuff, I will have to buy the c.d. now!

These guys are fantastic. I was in Iceland a few months ago and the girl at the hostel front counter had them playing on the CD player. I bought their CD soon after. If you can, see them live! I saw them in Chicago in September with a packed crowd that was stunned into silence for nearly the entire show. The music can be a bit dreary but the singer's voice is like something from heaven.

Oh, and you can catch some of their songs in the film 'Vanilla Sky' including a wonderful new single not on their album but that is normally performed live, including a recent appearance on 'Craig Kilborn.'

Yes oviedo,that song is called Nj?snav?lin, aka the nothing song. It means 'Spy Machine' in Icelandic and Cameron Crowe had to use the live version of that song in the movie since they have yet to record a studio version of it I think. It is used during a pivotla scene in the movie. I wont say more.

May I also recommend Von(Hope in Icelandic) and Nyja Lagif, which is also used in the movie.

Back
Top Bottom