the future of U2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheFly84138

The Fly
I'm not sure what all of you think about the future of U2 but here's what I'm worried about.

U2 has shown throughout their history to change things up a bit and try not to release the same thing over again blah blah blah, as learned with The Joshua Tree and Rattle and Hum. To me it feels like the new album really didn't expand on their career a whole lot, and I know some of you will disagree and say that isn't always a bad thing which of course is true. I feel after Pop they have slumped into a formula and even though the last two records were absoultely brilliant I'm not sure if I want another one. What do you all think?

I think Dismantle, in spite of leaning on the verse-chorus formula (which isn't reallly something U2 hasn't done in their past), is showing a shift to a more organic, guitar/rocky sound that will probably be featured on the new album. (also remember Are you gonna wait forever and Mercy)

While its true that the last album didn't differ too much from ATYCLB, there is still a noticable progression from one to the other. It's no less noticable than the change from Zooropa to POP. I think they are still on track.

I'm hoping they'll put out another record in the next two years that actually goes into the more 'rocky' stuff...

I was left a bit disappointed by 'How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb' after all that stuff the band hyped up the album with...! I was in full belief an LP full of ball-breaking guitar freak outs was on the way...! The so called "Bomb" came out and I think the only problem I had with it was [despite the songs being great] I was expecting something different...wild guitar solos, hoarse shouting vocals, etc...yet it just seemed to build on 'All That You Can't Leave Behind' with all it's atmospheric keyboards etc...

Don't get me wrong, it's one of their best...I was just expecting something different...I'm just hoping they'll do another 'Zooropa'...! :wink:

Yes I disagree. There are only 2 albums after POP, so I think it is a little early to say that they are following a formula. It's just two albums, TheFly84138. Wait for the next one and see (if there will be a next one). The three first albums are quite similar (but NOT the same). UF and JT too - in my eyes the same similarity as ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Last edited:
ElectricalVoice said:
Yes I disagree. There are only 2 albums after POP, so I think it is a little early to say that they are following a formula. It's just two albums, TheFly84138. Wait for the next one and see (if there will be a next one). The three first albums are quite similar (but NOT the same). UF and JT too - in my eyes the same similarity as ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Why do I have to wait for more albums to know what they're doing now?

Also, I think they will get someone new to produce the next album which might help get new sounds in.

I like How To. Quite a bit. I would critique what I would change. But I am not Brian Eno or Steve Lillywhite.

ElectricalVoice said:
UF and JT too - in my eyes the same similarity as ATYCLB and HTDAAB.

Hm. I don't think so... :tsk:
There is some of the biggest changes/progress in their sound. It's very obvious.
And I agree with you, TheFly84138. I'm a little worried, too. + it's the only album I was actually expecting to be released... I wish I was there when AB came out. Or even Zooropa and Pop. ATYCLB was also a change, but they stayed there this time. (Of course they aren't the same, the Bomb has some new-sounding songs like Fast Cars, LAPOE)
I wasn't really expecting "wild guitar solos, hoarse shouting vocals" or sth smilair cause you just can't beLIEve Bono :wink:
I don't need guitar distorsion in 12 songs, I could go with half just piano songs. At least it would be different... :wink:

TheFlyOnTheWall said:

Hm. I don't think so... :tsk:
There is some of the biggest changes/progress in their sound. It's very obvious.
And I agree with you, TheFly84138. I'm a little worried, too. + it's the only album I was actually expecting to be released... I wish I was there when AB came out. Or even Zooropa and Pop. ATYCLB was also a change, but they stayed there this time. (Of course they aren't the same, the Bomb has some new-sounding songs like Fast Cars, LAPOE)
I wasn't really expecting "wild guitar solos, hoarse shouting vocals" or sth smilair cause you just can't beLIEve Bono :wink:
I don't need guitar distorsion in 12 songs, I could go with half just piano songs. At least it would be different... :wink:

Yeah. I would love to hear U2 release a piano driven record, I think they would flurish in that setting.

worried?? why? after almost 30 years of music, hasn't U2 shown us that they won't stop reinventing themselves till they're over?
I agree tottaly with ElectricalVoice in the way that the 1st 3 albums are different but they have the same concept, and that's what is happening now.
ATYCLB and HTDAAB may sound similar but the way they were made is tottaly different. ATYCLB was made in the same molds of POP, more synthetyzed and HTDAAB is raw-guitared if you listen to the alternate versions.
In my opinion, the next album will be an evolution of The Bomb, but the rock n' roll basis will be more present. We will see U2 with more agressive and direct bass lines and guitar riffs, but the essence of U2 will stay forever as always

U2girl said:
I think Dismantle, in spite of leaning on the verse-chorus formula (which isn't reallly something U2 hasn't done in their past)

Have to agree with this, they definetly didn't do this in their past but it has got to the stage that they have done it too much. I remember a quote from when ATYCLB was first released from Bono that went something like "We wanted to do an album where all the songs could be singles" and he also said something along the lines "if you missed the chorus first time around here it is again and again". I think the last two albums have showed this very much where all the songs have relied on the verse chorus formula. Personally I think they have gone far too much over to that way of song writing. An overused chorus makes the songs sound boring in the end.

The future of U2 is that they'll be doing dinner galas with a few songs for small audiences of maybe 200 people with tickets at $3,000 in the name of charity (allegedly), full with a backing orchestra.

After those run of shows, they will start touring Hard Rock cafes all over the world, the House of Blues and Whisky-A-Go-Go in Sunset Blvd.

Then Bono will start a lounge singing career in Vegas. When he is in his early to mid 60s.

When the band are pushing 70 years old, the band will make a reunion album and tour clubs and arenas around Europe.

That's what my crystal ball tells me...

Cheers,

J

rjhbonovox said:

Have to agree with this, they definetly didn't do this in their past but it has got to the stage that they have done it too much. I remember a quote from when ATYCLB was first released from Bono that went something like "We wanted to do an album where all the songs could be singles" and he also said something along the lines "if you missed the chorus first time around here it is again and again". I think the last two albums have showed this very much where all the songs have relied on the verse chorus formula. Personally I think they have gone far too much over to that way of song writing. An overused chorus makes the songs sound boring in the end.

Yeah, I agree. That's why I'm worried they'll do it on the next one. Mercy is easily(to me) the best song out of the sessions and I think it's because I hear U2 playing a song and not two 30 second parts strung together for a total of 4 minutes. I loved the last two records, both in my top 4 for them but shit, let's hear something different next time.

If Bomb is their last album, I'll cry. It's a good album, but it's also quite a mess.

I think (and hope, in a way) that their next album will be much more down on the ground.
I like their rock'n'roll stuff, but it's not as good as their earlier pieces. I mean, Vertigo vs. Even Better Than The Real Thing... Their great epic rock days are over, I hope they realise that.

God Part III said:
I think (and hope, in a way) that their next album will be much more down on the ground.
I like their rock'n'roll stuff, but it's not as good as their earlier pieces. I mean, Vertigo vs. Even Better Than The Real Thing... Their great epic rock days are over, I hope they realise that.

Who knows really? They could surprise and blow us all away. We just don't know that yet. Why can't anyone focus on the now and enjoy their performances while we can? :)

Back
Top Bottom