The Achtung Baby House of Worship.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
It's back.

One may remember these threads from looooong ago. But I was listening to this album the other day while doing some maths homework and it is just incredible, from start to finish. From the industrial sounds of Zoo Station to the heart-wrenching end of Love is Blindness. For me, it's their best album, and that comes a long way from this thread :D

Zoo Station 4
Even Better Than the Real Thing 4
One 5
Until the End of the World 5
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses 4
So Cruel 3.5 (can be a four on most days)
The Fly 5
Mysterious Ways 4
Tryin' to Throw Your Arms Around the World 3.5
Ultraviolet (Light My Way) 4
Acrobat 5
Love is Blindness 5

:heart:

Hands down, their best album. It still sounds as fresh as ever almost 15 years after it's release. It was one of the first cds I ever got, mainly because of One. Didn't really listen to it much until one day in college when BOOM it just clicked with me and I fell in love.

Incredibly overrated, horribly produced, and it has, unfortunately, cast a dark, undeserved shadow over all of their work that followed.

Regardless, it's really damn good. The songwriting is superb, it has great atmosphere, and, guess what, it is one of their better albums. It's too bad that Zoo TV made the album itself barely listenable because every single version completely dismembered the original album version. I shouldn't even bother listening to the CD anymore.

Anyway...

8.5/10

Best album ever. The Fly and Acrobat are the best songs ever. Love is Blindness, Ultra Violet, One and Mysterious Ways are close to that.

And so on and so on...

U2Man said:
the lyrics are really awesome.

Because, of course, that's what makes a U2 album great, not Edge's guitar soundscapes, Adam's melodic bass, or Larry's martial drumming. It's all about Boner's pretentious musings.

If lyrics were what made albums great, I wouldn't even listen to albums anymore; I'd just go read a book.

LemonMelon said:

Because, of course, that's what makes a U2 album great, not Edge's guitar soundscapes, Adam's melodic bass, or Larry's martial drumming. It's all about Boner's pretentious musings.

If lyrics were what made albums great, I wouldn't even listen to albums anymore; I'd just go read a book.

:tsk:

xaviMF22 said:

If I wanted great lyrics, I'd listen to Pop, which I happen to be doing at the moment. :combust:

It's sad what the U2 fanbase has done to AB with threads like this one. They've praised it so much and for so long that's become an object of scorn to some (Axver) and a disappointment to others (myself). I wouldn't have anything negative to say if people weren't flogging this album half to death daily by comparing it to every album in their catalog, complaining about why they never made an AB clone, etc.

Serenity now! :rant:

[/rant]

LemonMelon said:

If I wanted great lyrics, I'd listen to Pop, which I happen to be doing at the moment. :combust:

It's sad what the U2 fanbase has done to AB with threads like this one. They've praised it so much and for so long that's become an object of scorn to some (Axver) and a disappointment to others (myself). I wouldn't have anything negative to say if people weren't flogging this album half to death daily by comparing it to every album in their catalog, complaining about why they never made an AB clone, etc.

[/rant]

deal with it :|

:wink:

LemonMelon said:

[/rant]

if you let threads on an internet affect how much you enjoy something, well then, you're an idiot

i would really love AB if it weren't for people praising it so much!!

see how stupid that sounds?

Chizip said:

if you let threads on an internet affect how much you enjoy something, well then, you're an idiot

i would really love AB if it weren't for people praising it so much!!

see how stupid that sounds?

It's not that I like it less because of it...

It's that it sounds like I like it less when I type it out because my opinion sticks out from everyone else's.

Does that make any sense? It's the best I can do to describe it. :huh: I wasn't that crazy about AB before I came here, and I won't like it any more when I eventually leave.

LemonMelon said:

If I wanted great lyrics, I'd listen to Pop.

I lol'd.

On Topic: AB is a really great album. I love it. If it weren't for The Joshua Tree, it might have a shot as U2's best work.

Been without doubt my favourite U2 album for about 3 years, but in the past month or two, I'm really starting to appreciate The Joshua Tree more than Achtung Baby. AB could soon be eclipsed.

Re: Re: The Achtung Baby House of Worship.....

Screwtape2 said:

I'm interested in knowing what changed, COBL_04?

Time.

Some people say if you don't like an album at first, you never will. But I found this to just not be true. After reptitive listens and having owned it for over two years now it just grew on me as I grew up. It was a completey different U2 than to what I had heard before. I think when I bought it, I was 14? and never really understood any of the complexities of it, and now that I'm 16 I do. It did take ageeeees to grow on me, but for one stretch of two weeks it was the only thing I listened to, and it's grown over time.

I am ashamed of that thread :reject:

Re: Re: Re: The Achtung Baby House of Worship.....

COBL_04 said:

Time.

Some people say if you don't like an album at first, you never will. But I found this to just not be true. After reptitive listens and having owned it for over two years now it just grew on me as I grew up. It was a completey different U2 than to what I had heard before. I think when I bought it, I was 14? and never really understood any of the complexities of it, and now that I'm 16 I do. It did take ageeeees to grow on me, but for one stretch of two weeks it was the only thing I listened to, and it's grown over time.

I am ashamed of that thread :reject:

2 years?! What was the turning point or moment of breakthrough on that little relationship?

loved AB back then and now im giving it another round of heavy rotation. its fucking brilliant.
i put it on for the first time in a while last week and got goosebumps... wild horses and ultraviolet :drool: :drool:

No mather how many thread that are here and will be created about how good AB is I don't care. Before the threads I thought the album was the best. And still I think it is.

So well I make a post in this thread to :) , as long as I think that AB is the best I will¨contuine to do so :)

I like all of their albums, I think all of them are great, but AB is pretty much their most brilliant.

An Cat Gav: It's been my favourite album since it came out in 1991, it's perfect
spot on!
THE FLY * UNTIL THE END OF THE WORLD * ACROBAT
are U2s best songs and AB is U2s Opus Magnum :up:

Re: Re: Re: The Achtung Baby House of Worship.....

COBL_04 said:

Some people say if you don't like an album at first, you never will.

what idiots say that?

the best albums are the ones that grow on you over time...

Back
Top Bottom