song of the day 09/6: Ultraviolet (light my way)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

isabelle_guns

Refugee
song of the day 01/6: Ultraviolet (light my way)

1. listen to song
2. read lyrics
3. post thoughts

--------------------------------------------------------

Sometimes I feel like I don't know
Sometimes I feel like checkin' out
I want to get it wrong
Can't always be strong
And love it won't be long...

Oh sugar, don't you cry
Oh child, wipe the tears from your eyes
You know I need you to be strong
And the day is as dark as the night is long
Feel like trash, you make me feel clean
I'm in the black, can't see or be seen

Baby, baby, baby...light my way
(alright now)

You bury your treasure
Where it can't be found
But your love is like a secret
That's been passed around
There is a silence that comes to a house
Where no one can sleep
I guess it's the price of love
I know it's not cheap

(oh, come on)
(oh, come on)

Oh...ultraviolet...
Ultraviolet...
Ultraviolet...
Ultraviolet...

One of my favorites on AB. :up:

(I know some people like to pick on it, but I LOVE the "baby baby baby....baby baby baby...baby baby baby light my way" at the end of the song)

Makes me thankful I have a FFWD button on my CD player. "I wanna get it wrong.." Yeah, Bono, you did - should have left that excruciating intro out!

}:)~

Defintely one of my favorite U2 songs. Turned my brother onto it last year, and now he says it's his favorite U2 song now.

So yeah, good song.

"baby, baby, baby..."

I used to hate it -- the intro and all the "baby baby baby"'s bugged me. I love it now though, despite the annoying intro. It's one of my favourite songs on AB.

Fantastic, beautiful song. One of my favorites.

used to like it a lot,
but I agree with the goat that the intro ... well ... isn't that great

+ having a chorus that is nothing more than "ultra violet" ...
I'm probably missing the great artisitic merit somehow

I guess I still love it musically (- intro)
but lyrically it does near to nothing for me

I have ALWAYS LOVED this song! :wink:

Like Bono said about the entire AB album, this song containes some really heavy and serious lyrics wrapped up in an upbeat musical style.

Ultraviolet Love is Love that is out of the spectrum of the ordinary love that most of us know - the conditional "do for me, I'll do for you" love.

Ultraviolet Love SHINES OUT ITS UNCONDITIONAL LOVE to everyone - it rescues those from the earthly conditionality of love and raises them to Higher Love. (feel like trash, you make me feel clean) :angel:

This song starts out on the earthly plane, recalling disappointments in love. It quickly rises as Bono invokes "Ultraviolet Love" and finds the kind of Love he was looking for there. :hug:

Unfortunately, the most important lyrics of this song were not posted:

"When I was all messed up and I heard opera in my head, your love was a lightbulb hanging over my head."

Thus, Bono admits that the love that he knew (conditional love) was not enough and that in unconditional love - the LOVE THAT HEALS THE SOUL AND SHINES THE WAY OUT OF INNER DARKNESS -is the Love that Bono craves....and has finally found. :up:

A BRILLIANT song from a LUMINOUS SOUL.... :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

Yeah Ultra Violet is one of my faves too not only because of the lyrics and the awesome sounds that comes through the speakers but also for another special meaning to me.... that was the very song played live by U2 when I saw them in Earls Court back in 1992 and, really totally out of the blue, I began seeing footage on one of the humonguous video screens above the stage. It was footage of a woman who began to "sing" the song in sign language. Only then I realised two things instantly: she's deaf and signing the song and also most amazing of all, someone I knew too! You should have seen my face, my jaw simply dropped all the way to the floor in shock! :shocked: LOL!

As Im deaf since birth although I can hear music very well with the aid of an hearing aid in my right ear, Im very fluent and familiar with sign language so you can imagine my joy and happiness to see that a band such as U2 had showed sign language in a major concert. I was so grateful that I waited a year before I could meet Bono in person to thank him. He was taken aback by that as he heard so many people talk to him about what a great show and so on that very night (after a Wembley Stadium show on Zooropa) so he looked up and asked if I liked it. I beamed and said simply "Yeah!" Bono gave me the left thumb up and smiled back! He saw me a week later (after another show) and asked how I am and so on! I was speechless at that point but he proceeded and asked whats my name which I replied. He then wrote on the back of a photo "Chris, Your da man, Bono"

dougal

what a great story, dougal. it's amazing how the band manages to connect with the fans on so many levels. genious.

ultraviolet is one of my faves. it was the first song i fell in love with on achtung. i was instantly hooked on the melody, and the jangly guitar, but it was the lyrics that got me. i listen to ultraviolet when i feel upset or stressed out, and it's become a kind of prayer for me, always makes me feel better.

jamila's post captured pretty much how i feel about this song.

great posts, guys.

quite possibly my favorite U2 song.

The part where Larry drops his stick is so apparent now whenever I listen to it.... like it was meant to be there.

SHE IS RAGING! :happy:

It's been awhile since I've seen you around! I was hoping the imminent new album would bring back some of our dear old friends who hadn't been around much! :wave:

Awesome song, so very typical of early 90's U2......

What's so great is that it's so different to every u2 song written before it, it's really poppy, almost what one would call a "sell out" song, due to the "baby baby baby" lyrics, but it's a pure masterpiece.

One of those u2 songs which make me feel happy....

Back
Top Bottom