something weird on Rattle & Hum.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bildo

The Fly
When they are playing All Along the Watchtower in San Francisco, and Bono is up there spray painting the monument, you hear him singing, but the camera is on him the whole time and his mouth is shut and the mic is down by his waist. Anyone care to expound on this?

It's probably a recording of him songing b/c it owuld be too hard for him to spray paint and sing at the same time. They probably just gave him the mic to make it look like he was singing

It's part of a mid-song montage - they wanted to highlight his graffiti during the song - so the footage was mixed in.

More elaborately:
U2 played a short concert that day at the Justin Herman Plaza (the so-called Safe The Yuppie concert). During Pride our B-man went to the monument on that square and spray-painted it with graffiti. However, for the movie they only showed All Along The Watchtower, but mixed in some footage of the 'graffiti incident' (which happened during a totally different song).

C ya!

Marty

The spray thingy happened during Pride which was also the last song of the Save The Yuppies concert.

that part always cracks me up.

i know he got in trouble for doing that, but what ended up happening to him? i'm sure he just got fined or had to donate to a charity or something.

Because it's multiple footage. It was footage filmed later, but then intertwined into the AATWT footage. Also notice Bono's hair is down, but then he gets back to stage and it's in a ponytail and he's wearing his hat and sunglasses again.

Oh the magic of film!

Kristie said:
oh, the magic of bad grammar :mad:
it always has disappointed me that he wrote "ROCK AND ROLL STOP'S THE TRAFFIC"
:tsk:

Isn't it
ROCK AND ROLL
STOP THE TRAFFIC

As in "Rock and roll! Stop the traffic!!"? :hmm:

Do I even make sense? :confused:

I still have the newspaper article. I live so close to there and I didnt go!! :mad:

Attachments

• bonoconcert.jpg
    bonoconcert.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 115
Ohh I found another one. It looks like maybe he did get in trouble..

Attachments

• bonoconcert3.jpg
    bonoconcert3.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 99
That SF concert was the first U2 bootleg I ever found/bought.

Another funny part in the concert is when Bono goes off on someone holding a sign that says SF & U2 on it. Apparently he thought they meant Sin Fein(spelling?) the political party of the IRA. Obviously they meant San Francisco. Pretty funny.

u2popmofo said:
That SF concert was the first U2 bootleg I ever found/bought.

Another funny part in the concert is when Bono goes off on someone holding a sign that says SF & U2 on it. Apparently he thought they meant Sin Fein(spelling?) the political party of the IRA. Obviously they meant San Francisco. Pretty funny.

sinn fein. two n's.

(i never get to correct spelling, i thought i'd seize the opportunity ;) )

KhanadaRhodes said:
that part always cracks me up.

i know he got in trouble for doing that, but what ended up happening to him? i'm sure he just got fined or had to donate to a charity or something.

He got arrested for it.

:yikes:

Scarletwine said:
No he was never arrested and charges were dropped as it was removed within 24 hrs.

P.S. Bono looks a little pissed in the boot, IMO.

Yeah, he was arrested. I just saw it on a website. But your right, it was dropped.

Actually he was given a misdemeanor charge "malicious mischief" and summoned to appear in court a few weeks later. The charges were dropped once he paid for the statue he painted to be cleaned and the sculptor came forward and said that what Bono did was in keeping with the spirit of the sculptors work. He was never actually arrested.

Hello,
I read that he wasn't arrested and was doing the graffiti work to prove a point. I read that the law was pressing down on graffiti artists in San Francisco with some new law. Bono opposed that and sometime later the law was abolished by a new governing party.
Pat

i have the 6 hour rattle and hum outtake video's. one of the sections is the whole concert in which they taped all along the watchtower. he is using the spray can during pride in the name of love.

Sicy - Those are awesome articles!
I remember I was in school and my girlfriend and I had heard about it on the way to school and we were too fricken scared to cut school and go! I still kick myself! :banghead:
I was at the JT concert a few nights after that happened (11/15/1987)(werent you there too Sicy?) and at this show Bono brought onstage a bunch of artists and they were able to create a giant mural in back of the stage, and he told the crowd he wanted to show Mayor Feinstein the difference between art work and graffiti :lol:
Cool stuff!

Didn't Bono actually let the sculpture come onstage and spray paint on their set?

I could dig up the info in the U2 tour book I guess, but I am too lazy.

david said:
Didn't Bono actually let the sculpture come onstage and spray paint on their set?

how did a sculpture sray paint?

EDIT: haha...i really was confused...you meant sculptor, right?

david said:

A week later for the 11-15-87 Oakland show Bono had a local graffiti artist Rene Castro with a bunch of other street artists paint the backdrop to the stage while they were playing the show.

Also, as stated before. Bono was never actually arrested. They promptly left town after the concert for Vancouver where they played the next night. By the time he had returned for the Oakland shows, the charges had been dropped.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom