Seattle Radio Station Host to do "Bono is Big Hypocrite" show today - WHY?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2girlcj

War Child
Dori Monson of KIRO 710 AM announced that one of his topics for his 1pm-4pm show today will be that "U2's Bono is one of the biggest hypocrites" and that he's not happy about it, because he likes him. He will "explain" during his show.

His website lists this, though:

"The rock band U2 has been using a Dutch tax shelter so they can hold on to more of their money. Lead singer Bono has been a long time advocate of nations giving a fraction of their GDP to developing nations. Is Bono being duplicitous when he tries to keep his own, hard-earned money but telling everyone else to give theirs to poor nations?" The news link given in the story goes to a page on ABC News that isn't available anymore. http://www.kiro710.com/showdj.asp?DJID=31726

I know this topic has been discussed at Interference, (it's not the newest of news!) but if you feel the need to send comments to the show before it airs, they can be contacted through the above site.

My first impulse was to listen and call in and rail him, but now that I see the topic, I think I'll just email and avoid the stress of the "sensationalist" hosting.

I mean, we know the arguments...A. It's the band, not him alone; B. You have no idea what he does with his money that he "keeps" through this arrangement C. Just because you want to end poverty doesn't mean you should be anti-capitalist or live like a monk...and really I could go on and on but this post is way long already ;)

Oh jesus. Remind me not to listen to that, because it will get me all worked up into a lather.

I hate this topic and just DO NOT understand why moving a PORTION of his business to another country makes him a hypocrite.

Yes, I understand how it comes across. But there's a difference between paying no taxes at all personally and moving PART of a business somewhere else to pay a little less taxes as a business.

Gah. I'm getting all frothed up again.

I love how people swear they can "bring down" U2...we here are only a small portion of worldwide fans!

I hope someone calls in to this show to remind this "informed" DJ (why are DJ's amongst the most stupid people on earth?) that Bono isn't asking anyone to give anything!

What he is asking is that NATIONS give $$. So let's see... the U.S. can afford to spend billions and billions on a war in Iraq that most U.S. people do not want or support, but forgiving debt in Africa and sending drugs there is considered "too expensive" and a waste of taxpayers' $. Right...

Clearly this man knows nothing about what Bono's doing, what DATA is and about Bono's personal finances. Bono most likely gives far more of his own personal $$ to charity than this DJ could ever dream.

What's worse, is that this idiotic DJ may convince some people that Bono's cause is in vain. Shame on him! :madwife:

I just sent an email to the host:

Hello! I feel the need to send a preemptive email and just guess how the discussion on your show today will go. My radio at work won't tune in AM stations ... which is probably a good thing, because this topic tends to get me all worked up into a lather.

Full disclosure: I am a big U2 fan.

Regarding the issue of Bono asking the world's nations (particularly the US) to spend more tax money to help various issues in Africa while moving a portion of his own business to another country for tax reasons ...

U2 is a band, but also a business. What business would not want to take advantage of a tax break? Additionally, it's only a portion of their business. It's not like they're not paying any taxes in their home country. They just want to pay less on a big portion of their business - and that's just good business.

Bono does not equal U2. There are four members in U2, plus their manager. Bono doesn't talk publically about what he donates of his own money. But it doesn't matter. Even if he gave away every penny he owned, there would still be people rolling their eyes and sneering their lips at him. And if he gave an interview disclosing everything he donated, the responses would be either "That's not enough!" or "Geez, what a braggart."

If it ever comes out that Bono himself does not pay any taxes personally, then he's a hypocrite. Until then, he's just a guy trying to use his celebrity to do some good in the world.

Thanks for letting me ramble - sorry I'll miss the show. Or maybe not too sorry.

doctorwho said:
I hope someone calls in to this show to remind this "informed" DJ (why are DJ's amongst the most stupid people on earth?) that Bono isn't asking anyone to give anything!

What he is asking is that NATIONS give $$. So let's see... the U.S. can afford to spend billions and billions on a war in Iraq that most U.S. people do not want or support, but forgiving debt in Africa and sending drugs there is considered "too expensive" and a waste of taxpayers' $. Right...

Clearly this man knows nothing about what Bono's doing, what DATA is and about Bono's personal finances. Bono most likely gives far more of his own personal $$ to charity than this DJ could ever dream.

What's worse, is that this idiotic DJ may convince some people that Bono's cause is in vain. Shame on him! :madwife:

:love: I agree! (see, we all CAN agree!:wink: )

this topic is debated over and over, and everytime it has the same outcome... the people calling Bono a hypocrite are often misinformed and just publicly saying it for attention, since it's easy to bash someone famous... and Bono is wise enough to ignore the whole thing..

:rolleyes: I wonder how many years from now we'll still see the tax thing

corianderstem said:
I just sent an email to the host:

Hello! I feel the need to send a preemptive email and just guess how the discussion on your show today will go. My radio at work won't tune in AM stations ... which is probably a good thing, because this topic tends to get me all worked up into a lather.

Full disclosure: I am a big U2 fan.

Regarding the issue of Bono asking the world's nations (particularly the US) to spend more tax money to help various issues in Africa while moving a portion of his own business to another country for tax reasons ...

U2 is a band, but also a business. What business would not want to take advantage of a tax break? Additionally, it's only a portion of their business. It's not like they're not paying any taxes in their home country. They just want to pay less on a big portion of their business - and that's just good business.

Bono does not equal U2. There are four members in U2, plus their manager. Bono doesn't talk publically about what he donates of his own money. But it doesn't matter. Even if he gave away every penny he owned, there would still be people rolling their eyes and sneering their lips at him. And if he gave an interview disclosing everything he donated, the responses would be either "That's not enough!" or "Geez, what a braggart."

If it ever comes out that Bono himself does not pay any taxes personally, then he's a hypocrite. Until then, he's just a guy trying to use his celebrity to do some good in the world.

Thanks for letting me ramble - sorry I'll miss the show. Or maybe not too sorry.

Great response to this! You go!
I never listen to that guy...and definitely won't start now. What a jerk of talk show host. And he is from Seattle. I am ashamed.
:( :mad:

I'm not a big fan of radio talk show hosts in general. They all bug the snot out of me.

Is he a jerk? I've never listened to him. Or is he just a jerk for daring to insult Bono? :wink:

I feel the need to say that there was a ;-) inserted after my last line in the email I'd sent. I didn't want to come across like some self-righteous automatic Bono defender.

I can just see him getting 500 emails all "OMG Bono is great, you don't know nuthin'!!!", which would do nothing but make him laugh and say, "Look at all these crazy Bono lovers who would defend anything he ever did."

OK. I finally finished my email and sent it. Here 'tis:

Dori,
Where is it written that people who do good are hypocrites unless they give up all material things and live as monks or asthetics?

Do you feel a bit of long email coming on? Have a seat, my poor misguided fellow. I promise it won't hurt.

I have so many issues with digging up this old topic, not the least of which is society's tendency to throw rocks at those who are accomplishing something.

First off, it has to be said that this is a matter decided upon by a business - the band and its management. This is not a personal account decided only by Bono.

Next, there are no records (and there shouldn't be) of exactly how much of his money Bono donates or uses for causes. If keeping more earnings in a tax shelter helps him do more in this regard, than how can he be duplicitous?

And Dori, Bono does not "tell people to give their (hard earned money) to poor nations" while he keeps his. He has always promoted raising your voice and being informed over sending a check. He fights his fight in so many ways that do not ask for money:
~raising awareness with DATA and the ONE campaign (one.org, data.org)
~making investments in socially-responsible companies (EDUN and Elevation Partners);
~working with non-profits such as the Gates Foundation;
~using democratic government channels;
~and through consumerism with the Product (RED) Campaign (joinred.com)
I was fortunate enough to attend 8 Vertigo concerts in 2005 and 06 and never once did the man ask us to give our money - only to give our name to the ONE Campaign, which is 2.4 million strong in America and recently helped lobby the Senate to keep the promised $1 billion in poverty-fighting funds that was threatened to be cut. It's like the "good old days" when people got together on an issue and made a difference!

Lastly, the man is crazy obsessed with this work. Read the introduction to Jeffrey Sachs' "The End of Poverty" or the TIME article when Bono was a Person of the Year and you will find that he does not rest. He is literally eveywhere, talking to as many people and doing as much as he can in addition to his "Day Job" of being a rockstar. His wife has been an adament supporter of Children of Chernobyl for years, among other achievements. These people truly walk the walk and talk the talk and if they want to have a home in Ireland and a home in San Tropez and an apartment in New York so that they and their four kids can get breaks and time together while they work and travel, who are we to say that is hypocritical?! There are so many other celebrities who are truly hypocritical!

The reason this was a story (In Ireland, in AUGUST 06!: http://forum.interference.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=163304&highlight=Dutch) is that the band's money is no longer available for Irish taxes in Ireland. That is a more interesting topic than whether rock stars who work their asses - can you say asses on the radio? - off should be able to manage their finances to make the most money. The story goes that Ireland changed their recording artist tax code to target these big income generators, like U2. It is more controversial to me that there are supposed feeling of "resentment" in Ireland and if those feelings are warranted.

I know you've got a job to do and you want to rile people up, but why insinuate things that aren't true? This man is the one who helped me realize it's okay to make money and still be an activist at heart - to donate your time and help people while still living the traditional American materialistic life - to use your voice and your pocketbook to sway public opinion because the democratic process does work when people come together in numbers - that America is an idea and its okay for us to be grossly consumerist as long as we find ways to support sustainable products that make a difference...I could go on, but I won't.

I mean seriously Dori, what it comes down to is this: are you really going to criticize someone for trying to pay the least amount of taxes?? That just doesn't sound like you, man!

Candice

thumbs2.gif

Those were excellently written emails! :up: Good on ya for sending them.

I've never heard of this guy, and I did use to live in the Seattle area. But then again, I would rarely listen to the radio, so it's not all that surprising. :wink:

sent this email:

Do you honestly have nothing better to talk about than a person who is trying to do a little good in this world?
Spending three hours discussing Bono's tax status is a bit ridiculous and calling him a hypocrite is absurd. Have you taken time to listen or read anything that has to do with his contributions to the African country?

May I ask what HAVE YOU done lately? You can ask me the same question and I can give you a list, and that is in part to the inspiration Bono gives to me through his words, and music.

If you are going to dog on him for being a hypocrite, I sure hope you can stand tall and be able to say to yourself that you are not one.

It's AM radio...who gives a rip?

Dori? Are you serious, like, his name's Dori?

...just keep swimming, just keep swimming...

Seriously, I suppose it's a tad hypocritical to route your cash through a tax dodge while asking nations to give others' tax money. But is sure doesn't merit an entire show about how B is the biggest hypocrite ever...

I don't know that it's going to be the entire show. It's one of the topics he'll be discussing DURING the show.

:lmao: great emails everyone, but the name REALLY cracked me up....
whenever this dude spits something random again, like CT, I would advise... just keep swimming, just keep swimming.....

Back
Top Bottom