Rest of U2 Survivor: Zooropa - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Zooropa

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Babyface

Votes: 20 20.6%
  • Lemon

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Daddy's Gonna Pay ...

Votes: 11 11.3%
  • Some Days Are ...

Votes: 35 36.1%
  • Dirty Day

Votes: 5 5.2%
  • The Wanderer

Votes: 26 26.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
LemonMelon said:
Then why the "yuck"? :tsk:

I simply refuse to believe that you were referring to The Beatles. I don't think I could ever take in such heresy. :down: :wink:

Yes, it was for the Beatles, and the Beach Boys and Bob Dylan too. The Beatles were, at best, bland and at worst little more than a boyband. The same goes for the Beach Boys. Bob Dylan I just can't stand, mainly vocally - and I think there's a bit of irreconcilable cultural divide at play there too.

Axver said:

Yes, it was for the Beatles, and the Beach Boys and Bob Dylan too. The Beatles were, at best, bland and at worst little more than a boyband. The same goes for the Beach Boys. Bob Dylan I just can't stand, mainly vocally - and I think there's a bit of irreconcilable cultural divide at play there too.

coolian2 said:

This post shall for ever be immortalised as the biggest phailure on Interference ever.

Rob33 said:
i'd rather listen to ANYTHING 2000+ than numb, dirty day, daddy's gonna pay...those songs just simply don't affect me at all...they are actually quite boring and the melodies are poor to say the least...

despite all this, however, I think Zooropa is a fine album overall...my favorite track being Stay- one of my all time favorite U2 songs :)

It'll click one day.

You could have instead mustered a proper response rather than being a typical hyper-defensive Beatles fan who can't possibly believe some people have different music tastes and opinions.

OPINIONS?

You called The Beatles, arguably the most influential and important rock band of all time, a BOY BAND.

Do you know what a boy band is?

Menudo is a boy band.

The Backstreet Boys are a boy band.

Coldplay is a boy band.

Don't get snippy because I refused to address your silliness at first. :tsk:

Oh, come on, have you HEARD the Beatles early singles and albums?

And I'd argue the Shadows were more influential than the Beatles. Almost everybody who mattered in the 1960s and 1970s were influenced by them - including the Beatles. Though it must be said that influential =/= good, so I'm not exactly going to be persuaded by "OMG BEATLES SO INFLOOENSHUL".

The Beatles were influenced by Presley (who I would also regard as one of the most influential of all time, though you could actually make a case for him being more of the boy band brand) and Bill Haley, but I wouldn't say they're any more influential than the Beatles. :shrug:

It's impossible to argue musical quality, so I don't see this little debate going very far, but I just don't understand how someone can hear Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver, or Abbey Road and think "bland". :( And what does "bland" mean to you, Axver? Diffuse? Uninteresting?

Wish I'd been here for all this tooing and froing!!!

And Axver you are completey wrong I am afraid. I agree the early Beatles were shit, more boy-band tendecnies there, but Rubber Soul --> Abbey Road? That shit is fucking gold.

Anyway, this album is terrific, the knocking of SDBATO disgraceful, that is my most listened to U2 song.

There's a lot of phailage in this thread. A LOT.

LemonMelon said:
The Beatles were influenced by Presley (who I would also regard as one of the most influential of all time, though you could actually make a case for him being more of the boy band brand) and Bill Haley, but I wouldn't say they're any more influential than the Beatles. :shrug:

Now, Presley, there's a definite "yuck". Can't stand him. If anybody was spectacularly talentless, it's Presley.

It's impossible to argue musical quality, so I don't see this little debate going very far, but I just don't understand how someone can hear Sgt. Pepper, Rubber Soul, Revolver, or Abbey Road and think "bland". :( And what does "bland" mean to you, Axver? Diffuse? Uninteresting?

It just sounds uninteresting, dull, and sometimes bad. I can't stand Sgt Pepper's, the song. The singing is simply unlistenable. Very unattractive vocals. Hell, not even Bono was able to make that one sound good.

I do respect people's opinions. My Dad doesn't like the Beatles, but he respects them, and there's a lot of their songs he likes. I'm not a massive fan, but there's a big amount of songs I like.

Axver said:

Now, Presley, there's a definite "yuck". Can't stand him. If anybody was spectacularly talentless, it's Presley.

Great voice, repetitive songs. I like a few of them, but he's certainly not a favorite artist of mine.

It just sounds uninteresting, dull, and sometimes bad. I can't stand Sgt Pepper's, the song. The singing is simply unlistenable. Very unattractive vocals. Hell, not even Bono was able to make that one sound good.

I can dig that. But once you get into boy band territory...well, I take that as a personal insult of my tastes. :wink:

Axver said:

Sgt Pepper's is monotonous. I try to stay away from monotonous u2 songs: the original party girl, drowning man, like a song,

Varitek said:

Sgt Pepper's is monotonous.

It has McCartney's best bass lines, it's their most cohesive album, and it's mostly all great.

Within You Without You is the only track bordering on monotony.

LemonMelon said:

It has McCartney's best bass lines, it's their most cohesive album, and it's mostly all great.

Within You Without You is the only track bordering on monotony.

One.
Twilight.
actually seconds, drowning man, refugee, surrender, pretty much all of war

monotonous isn't a bad thing. it's just monotonous.

COBL_04 said:
I do respect people's opinions. My Dad doesn't like the Beatles, but he respects them, and there's a lot of their songs he likes. I'm not a massive fan, but there's a big amount of songs I like.

I swear, most Beatles fans seem to have this attitude that anybody who dislikes the Beatles is wrong, and it irritates the shit out of me. They just don't appeal to me at all. I don't care for their music, and nobody's going to make me feel bad simply because I don't agree with a bunch of squealing sixties girls, stoned sixties guys, and a stack of their offspring.

The Sad Punk said:
Axver ffs listen to "Surf's Up" RIGHT NOW and ignore the title and just listen to it holy shit just youtube or something

It was alright.

Axver said:

I swear, most Beatles fans seem to have this attitude that anybody who dislikes the Beatles is wrong, and it irritates the shit out of me.

Am I wrong for thinking the Unforgettable Fire is U2's weakest album? :wink: Come on, say it. You know you want to.

The Sad Punk said:
That's the biggest understatement of all time.

When a guy finds the Beatles to be bland, not sure why you'd think his listening to Surf's Up would draw anything but "it's ok". It's just not up his musical alley, no matter how much you like it. I love the Beach Boys, but talking a Spock's Beard fan into liking them is mission impossible.

The Sad Punk said:
That's the biggest understatement of all time.

The Ventures and the Shadows blow that sort of thing out of the water though.

LemonMelon said:
Am I wrong for thinking the Unforgettable Fire is U2's weakest album? :wink: Come on, say it. You know you want to.

Please show me where I said I'm not a hypocrite.

And yes, you're wrong. Very wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. Bannably wrong. :wink:

No spoken words said:
When a guy finds the Beatles to be bland, not sure why you'd think his listening to Surf's Up would draw anything but "it's ok". It's just not up his musical alley, no matter how much you like it. I love the Beach Boys, but talking a Spock's Beard fan into liking them is mission impossible.

I must admit I'm curious why you chose to mention Spock's Beard rather than, say, Porcupine Tree. I only love two Beard albums, and haven't listened to them much in ages. The album Snow actually makes me cringe with its stereotypes about albinos. I know a lot of prog fans really love it, but it makes me quite uncomfortable.

I suppose it's acceptable to use stereotypes about albinos though. After all, we look weird. :|

Axver said:

Please show me where I said I'm not a hypocrite.

And yes, you're wrong. Very wrong. Embarrassingly wrong. Bannably wrong. :wink:

See, wasn't that fun? :lol:

This has been a VERY interesting thread indeed.

Axver said:

I must admit I'm curious why you chose to mention Spock's Beard rather than Porcupine Tree. I only love two Beard albums, and haven't listened to them much in ages. The album Snow actually makes me cringe with its stereotypes about albinos. I know a lot of prog fans really love it, but it makes me quite uncomfortable.

I suppose it's acceptable to use stereotypes about albinos though. After all, we look weird. :|

Would I use an Albino stereotype to anyone, let alone you, Axver??? Come on.

I chose Spock's Beard because Porcupinee Tree was too obvious, that's all.

No spoken words said:

You may be right, of course - but why does the genre or style matter? As long as the music's good, that's all that matters. And Surf's Up is, in my opinion, musically (mainly vocally) perfect.

No spoken words said:
Would I use an Albino stereotype to anyone, let alone you, Axver??? Come on.

I chose Spock's Beard because Porcupinee Tree was too obvious, that's all.

No, no, I didn't mean to say that about you. I mean that I was surprised you mentioned Spock's Beard because they're one prog band who I don't mention much anymore as they dropped off my radar, primarily due to Snow. I loved - still love - Day For Night and Beware Of Darkness, but ever since I heard Snow, I've barely listened to them. The albino stereotypes on that ... yeah, I didn't like it. Made me think less of the band's work as a whole.

Back
Top Bottom