Red Hill Mining Town Video !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Axver said:
In short, the music video to the second single from a global #1 album would not have sunk U2's career and anyone who says it would have needs to turn off the hyperbole machine.

2052786584_ab327e1669_m.jpg

There, it's off.

However, I don't think it would've sunk their career, simply altered it.

I think a lot of guys would have been turned off by the vid and shut out U2

Bono's performance in the video is pretty good. Adam and Edge's bird releasing is cheesy, but again, most people won't get why they would have birds in a mine, let alone release them.

Now Larry, on the other hand. It cracks me up how intently he is hitting that gear with that stick or whatever it is. If he was swinging a pick axe into coal, it'd be one thing. But just hitting that gear is completely useless, and yet he is taking it so seriously. That part makes me laugh my ass off.

brooklynmike said:

2052786584_ab327e1669_m.jpg

There, it's off.

:lol: Good! :wink:

I think a lot of guys would have been turned off by the vid and shut out U2

You think so? Because I can't even imagine anybody changing their opinion about a band simply due to a music video. I certainly don't know anybody who'd do it.

Now, would have using RHMT instead of ISHFWILF changed things? Probably, and who knows whether for better or worse. But I don't think a music video would make any kind of tangible contribution. Like I said before, I think the Streets video had much more potential for backlash due to its Beatles ripoff, and yet U2's popularity just kept going up through 1987.

The video was, at least in part, for the benefit of JT Bono lovers, especially after WOWY's success, no? Then held off after much review, maybe because it lacked a connection between the band members. (thinking too deeply about this one:huh: )

The_acrobat said:

Now Larry, on the other hand. It cracks me up how intently he is hitting that gear with that stick or whatever it is. If he was swinging a pick axe into coal, it'd be one thing. But just hitting that gear is completely useless, and yet he is taking it so seriously. That part makes me laugh my ass off.

My thoughts precisely...what IS he doing?...it's like they couldn't think of anything else to have him do. Great song and Bono looks great but I could really do without the video, but thanks for sharing it with us U2.

If I recall, the ISHFWILF video served as a good way to lighten the U2 image a bit. Here they are among the people, cracking up (not Edge, of course), goofing around in Vegas, crawling on cars.

WOWY into this video could've broken the earnest-meter and started the backlash a little sooner.

But, who's to say?

Anji said:

Personal taste Last Unicorn :sexywink: I am personally not keen on that "Style" of music.

There is a world of difference between European style rock\pop and American. I feel that style was to "Break America" and not really for folks like me :wink:

You either like that style of music or you don't, and I don't.

I think I know what last unicorn was trying to say though. It doesn't really matter if we were fans of that style of music or not, U2 were fans of it, and that direction they took influenced who u2 became. I really can't seperate that era from them and I can't imagine a u2 without that history and those songs behind them.

U2 have been known for embracing all sorts of music, that's one thing I love about them. For them, there is no "us" and "them", no "here" or "there". Personally I don't think about such categories either. I like something or I don't like it. It's not as if U2 decided to go into American music only because they wanted to sell their music in the US. They were interested in American music, culture, literature, it was close to them, so for them making a more "American" album - whatever that means - appears to be something natural. I wouldn't say that this isn't U2. It's part of their history, they are influenced by "both" worlds, so I cannot imagine U2 without it.

I freely admit that RAH isn't my favourite U2 album, though some songs are great and I couldn't imagine the band or their live shows without, let's say, All I want is you, which is certainly one highlight of their carreer. It's an important part of the band's history and the songs are not better or worse just because the influence was more "American" or more "European" or whatever. I don't try to think in a territorial way when it comes to music.

ahittle said:
If I recall, the ISHFWILF video served as a good way to lighten the U2 image a bit. Here they are among the people, cracking up (not Edge, of course), goofing around in Vegas, crawling on cars.

WOWY into this video could've broken the earnest-meter and started the backlash a little sooner.

But, who's to say?

Las Vegas is a symbolically perfect place to film ISHFWILF, think about it - a lot of people go to chase a dream, hence it's filled with people who still haven't found what they're looking for! :wink:

last unicorn said:
U2 have been known for embracing all sorts of music, that's one thing I love about them. For them, there is no "us" and "them", no "here" or "there". Personally I don't think about such categories either. I like something or I don't like it. It's not as if U2 decided to go into American music only because they wanted to sell their music in the US. They were interested in American music, culture, literature, it was close to them, so for them making a more "American" album - whatever that means - appears to be something natural. I wouldn't say that this isn't U2. It's part of their history, they are influenced by "both" worlds, so I cannot imagine U2 without it.

I freely admit that RAH isn't my favourite U2 album, though some songs are great and I couldn't imagine the band or their live shows without, let's say, All I want is you, which is certainly one highlight of their carreer. It's an important part of the band's history and the songs are not better or worse just because the influence was more "American" or more "European" or whatever. I don't try to think in a territorial way when it comes to music.

Sorry, I didn't mean to cause confusion. :huh: I fully agree that that is what makes U2 who they are, not scared to try anything or any style because they just enjoy experimenting with sounds and styles. They just decided it was their "American" phase, like now is their "Fez\Morocco" phase.

I don't mean it to sound territorial :scratch: I guess essentially what I am trying to say (badly) is some people like Rock or Pop, some like House or reggae, or Folk or Blues. I just don't care for things like Desire, When Love Comes to Town. Which I would catagorise as Folky Blues, which I dislike. And you are right, All I want is You is a simple materpiece :drool:

Hell It went 4x platinum here in the UK, so people loved it, and yes I own it, I just tend to skip the tracks I don't care for that much, which we are all guilty of doing whatever album or whatever "Style" :wink:

And reading back on some of the comments here, some hate the RHMT video, their taste their choice, I just love it for a good old fashioned Bono letch :evil: Plus it is my second fave tract on JT next to WOWY

I thought Discoteque tanked because it simply was a crap song? Even a head employee of Island said "It's not amongst the top 20 u2 songs of all time" in 1997.

I thought AIWIY was a good video? It was a respite from the "Bono walking around" videos.

u2fp

Discotheque is awesome! Kick ass song with cool sounding guitar and the video is a lot of fun without being cheesy. I don't give a flying fuck what some employee of Island thinks.

Zootlesque said:
Discotheque is awesome! Kick ass song with cool sounding guitar and the video is a lot of fun without being cheesy. I don't give a flying fuck what some employee of Island thinks.

What's the chorus?

I too like the killer guitar riff and "Boom-Cha's" but it's total crap songwriting.

Well... it's meant to be a fun song. It wasn't meant to be poetry! :huh: And before somebody retorts back saying... "Elevation & Vertigo are fun songs too, so why should the lyrics be good?"... my answer is, they don't have to be good but at least leave out dumb lines like "just gimme what i want and no one gets hurt" or total rock song cliches like yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!

Anyway, sorry I don't mean to derail this thread.

^Yeah, you've never quite been consistent with that argument...

But to each it's own.

And I couldn't ever figure out why that line out of all the other questionable lines you bring up the most, why does that one bother you so much, that line is nothing compared to some other clunkers.:huh:

Last edited:
The song itself is one of U2s more complex songs if you want to look at it from a pure music standpoint. Music writing is not all about lyrics, infact for the most part it doesnt matter what the lyrics are in modern music.

Oh my God! That's a bad, bad video..... :ohmy: No wonder they didn't wnated it out there. They have enough sense of humor today to make it public but it would have been a joke if they had released this back in 87. Man, that was weird....

I don't mind the Discotheque video...I just wish they had skipped the "U2 meets the Village People" ending.
Elevation is a fun movie soundtrack video, and for once Edge gets the most air time. I like the effects on Vertigo. It's ridiculous to look for meaningful lines in this type of song. I thought this forum wanted U2 to lighten up...

As for dumb lines, look no further than "boom cha! boom cha! boom cha!"
He's done worse than "give me what I want and no one gets hurt" line, and eons of rock songs through the ages have used a "yeah!" in some form. Should we ban guitar solos for Edge, that is a cliche too. Or how about they skip the mega tours, so cliche for rock bands.

I've always thought that Discotheque is actually a deeper song lyrically than it seems at first blush...

"You know you're chewing bubblegum. You know what that is, but you still want some. You just can't get enough of that lovey-dovey stuff."

To me, this has always referred to someone who is looking for true love, but settling for casual romantic encounters, the type of relationship you would find by hooking up in a discotheque.

The person knows that these relationships are "bubblegum;" momentarily pleasurable, but ultimately not satifying his/her "hunger."

The lines "You're looking for the one, but you know you're somewhere else instead," seem to echo this same emotion from the chorus.

I've always thought of it as a sad song about a person who wants true love deep down, but is caught in a world (the club scene?) where casual romance is the norm, and settles for these fleeting relationships because to him/her they are better than nothing: "But you take what you can get, 'cause it's all that you can find. You know there's something more, but tonight, tonight, tonight..."

The irony of the song is that it, like the protagonist, seems happy and upbeat on the surface, but in reality has an underlying sadness.

Don't you think those emotions really come through in the video? :wink:

Last edited:
Wow Danny Boy! :ohmy: Great post! The song is totally about casual relationships and not finding true love. Makes total sense!

And for the record, I'd rather watch the boom cha ending and the whole Discotheque video a million times over than the embarrassingly bad Elevation or vertigo videos! :happy:

Axver said:
I can't even imagine anybody changing their opinion about a band simply due to a music video. I certainly don't know anybody who'd do it.

I did it. When I saw the video for Discotheque - and I'd already been a fan for 13 years when the video came out. That was the exact point at which my love for the band changed so dramatically.

Axver said:

:lol: Good! :wink:

You think so? Because I can't even imagine anybody changing their opinion about a band simply due to a music video. I certainly don't know anybody who'd do it.

I don't think it would change any big fans of the band. I think it would have an effect on the gray area fans though.

Not everyone is a huge fan. I'd say the majority of their fans are in the gray area. In other words, they like the band, but aren't obsessed like some of us.

If this video had come out before JT really took hold, I don't think the men would have really been so into them.

It wouldn't have been a conscious decision, as in, "ahh, F these guys cause this video is fruity".

It would have been more, first look at video- strange and homoerotic- change channel.

From much of their gray area fan base tuning out for a period (not necessarily hating them), I think the JT heat would have been considerably less.

I can't think of an instance where I've ever not liked a band based upon seeing one of their videos. If I don't like a band, it's always been because their music just never appealed to me.

That said, I can understand in some ways where certain videos, if they're really weird, can maybe turn some people off. I love the "Discotheque" video, I think it's funny stuff, but I can imagine some people out there, upon seeing it, were probably going :huh:. I wish they wouldn't just dismiss a band based upon something like that, but eh, it's their choice.

I like the "Vertigo" video, too-the circular effects throughout are rather neat. As for the lyrics, eh, okay, so they're goofy. So what? U2 have many, many songs with more profound lyrics in them, if they want to have a moment here and there where they just make a fun, simple, goofy rock song, let 'em. If I sense that a song was created simply just for fun purposes, I'm not going to look for or expect deep lyrical content-it's nice if the song has it, but I'm not going to fret if it doesn't.

Angela

Danny Boy: that may be, but then the flashy goofy video is all the more offensive in a serious song. And that particular video probably did more damage to U2 than all the others combined.

Back
Top Bottom