Pre Achtung...U2 were only good pre 1984

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jackboy

The Fly
Pre Achtung...U2 were total pants apart from UF, War and Boy...these were the only great albums from the 80's by U2...I really don't know what anybody sees in JT...Streets is great and ISHF...but what else stands out from these? I think they were weak creatively in the late 80's...Wide Awake in America until RandHum...what total mediocrity...

You're certainly entitled to your opinion. But, I think you're wrong. There are masses of people, including most critics, who would also disagree with you. JT was a great album - not only for U2, but it holds up with some of the greats of all-time.

Was AB better? That's certainly been debated enough around here (and everywhere else). They are different albums that marked different times in the evolution of the band. It's a matter of taste, I think.

I would also add that I have always stuck to my guns about Rattle and Hum as well. I never understood where all the criticism came from. I enjoyed that album. One of their best - probably not. But, I enjoy it still.

And say what you want about the experimentation that followed AB, but some great tracks came from those days. Their reworking of Pop tracks proves that the material was there - it just needed more time to perfect.

So, were you looking to actually have a discussion, or was this just a bait thread to piss people off?

Don't agree, TJT went totally in the face of what was kicking around in the late '80's. We were exposed to electro pop in the nature of Duran Duran. A song like WOWY was unheard of on the radio at that time. Nowadays they sound 'normal' as they've been around so long and music has moved on as well.

As for Rattle and Hum, to me it has some great songs. God Part II is another one of those songs that flew in the face of it's time.

mediocrity is a very strong term for that time in U2's career, I can think of a lot worse that sits in that catagory, but still, to each their own.

jackboy said:
I really don't know what anybody sees in JT...

You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but I've got to say that made me go :shocked: <-- very, very literally.

JT has one vaguely weak track (TTYW).. the rest are very very strong for a variety of reasons. All the albums that came before have considerably more weak tracks.

Joshua Tree is one of the greatest albums ever created. AB is better, but it's still incredible. I dont think theres one weak track on it. Rattle & Hum is a very good album, its has many gems but people see it's mistakes before them. If they just put all the new tracks on one CD and cut out the live versions and cover songs, it would have been a better album. Still, I'll always love the album which brought me "Desire" and "All I Want is You", the rest of the album could have been blank and I would love it.

Funny, but I tend to like Rattle and Hum better than Joshua Tree.

I always thought All I Want Is You was better than With or Without you, and to tell you the truth, there's not one bad song on that album.

I feel the opposite.

Boy and War are my least favourite U2 albums,
October holds strong but they've gotten better with time... All That You Can't Leave Behind is not a perfect album though, I like Pop much better.

Too bad for you, there's so much you're missing. :(

I'm an avid U2 fan...i was being controversial...just bored waiting around for some news....

a.) Why do we respond to these kinds of threads? They just encourage more. It's the kind of 'terrorism' defined by Mr. The Edge.
b.) This thread should be moved. It's in the wrong forum.

Crap - how did I miss all of this?

Well, I am relieved about one thing: that wasn't really The Edge that I potentially offended with my 'Sophie's Choice' post.

I have to say that this is the most unprofessional thing I have ever witnessed in my entire life. I am not using hyperbole. I've gotten bad service at restaurants, I've been treated badly by customer service staff at stores, and I've been ignored at the DMV. But this takes the cake. My hat is off to the administrators of Interference, for what is quite possibly the worst example of journalism in the history of the internet. 'The Onion' does better research. I told my family, my girlfriend, and all of my friends about my encounter with 'The Edge.' I now look and feel like an idiot. I feel betrayed. I am extremely angry. Extremely. Angry.

You guys can keep that twelve dollars for the premium membership I bought in good faith back in early September. I got a nice 2 month mileage out of it. I won't be renewing.

There were some really cool people here. I will miss all of you.

This is my final post.

-Mike

Last edited:
There are so many takes on U2.

Some say U2 got commercial and pretentious after War.

Other say U2 did The Joshua Tree then it was downhill from there.

There are those who think U2 peaked with Achtung, went overboard with POP, then redeemed themselves with ATYCLB.

A number of pundits say that U2 peaked artistically with POP, then sold out and made a super-mellow super-safe album with ATYCLB just because POP tanked commercially.

Some believe that U2 peaked with ATYCLB, but sold out with HTDAAB by giving it to iTunes.

A few feel that U2 is like vintage wine, getting better with age and that their peak is yet to come.

There are many takes on U2. You have taken your pick and we respect that. In this forum, everyone's opinion is respected.

Cheers,

J

bedouin fire said:

you're not the only one.

I'll say it again, an announcment should still go on the front page about this. Those people that read the articles and asked questions need to be put straight, and I bet most of them never look into 'Inside Broadcast'..

In 5 months there will still be people saying, "Didn't Edge say that they were going to open the shows with 'Vertigo'?" etc.etc.etc. so the whole things is going to go on and on and on...

Jim said:

I'll say it again, an announcment should still go on the front page about this. Those people that read the articles and asked questions need to be put straight, and I bet most of them never look into 'Inside Broadcast'..

you're right, i went there today for the first time in 4 years

SkeeK said:
JT has one vaguely weak track (TTYW).. the rest are very very strong for a variety of reasons. All the albums that came before have considerably more weak tracks.

for me the weakest song from JT was ISHF... maybe it's because it's so well known. but on the other hand WOWY and WTSHNN are also very well known, so i don't know...

anyway i think the album is just great. i love the moment when you start to listen to it: there are these quiet tunes from Streets and then the sound's growing and growing... every time i listen to it, from the very beginning i feel like i was going to listen to sth very special. and it is special (at least 4me).

SkeeK said:

Funny, it took a while for that track to grow on me, but now I honestly think it's great. For me, JT is the only U2 album that doesn't have a single weak track. I like 'em all.

My favorite tracks are probably Bullet The Blue Sky and In God's Country.

ThomasH said:

My favorite tracks are probably Bullet The Blue Sky and In God's Country.

I don't like JT's version of BTBS and i think that's the only weak track off the album...don't get me wrong: I said JT's version...BTBS is surely in my all-time top 5 but only in the live version: MUCH MUCH better and MUCH MORE powerful

I'm seriously wondering if this is just for shock value and holds no water in trying to provoke a thoughful discussion. I could be wrong, but I've seen this type of thread Many Many times.

not going to touch this one....good luck to all that do.

Back
Top Bottom