Potential album tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

intedomine

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
It's getting really confusing and everything with there being about 20-30 rumoured song titles in circulation.

But i was just wondering, who and what are the sources of the song titles.

Who gave us the titles "jahweh" and "the sun the moon and the stars"?
Is there any proof of their existence?

What of the rumuored song titles have actually been played, or lyrics are already known?

"native son" seems to be one of the only titles the band have personally spoken of...

How valuable are these rumoured song titles, its getting frustrating.

I found another probably fake tracklisting on the net, once again containing the same old rumoured song titles, and another album name.

FULL METAL JACKET

1. american prayer
2. tough
3. native son
4. one step closer to knowing
5. bulldozer
6. the sun the moon the stars
7. jahweh
8. smell the flowers
9. sometimes you cant make it on your own
10. xanax and wine
11. skyhawk
12. a blessing in disguise
13. all because of you

13 tracks, an attractive prospect, but can it be taken seriously?
I dont think so.

I think these are the few possibilities that will end up on the album.

2. tough
3. native son
4. one step closer to knowing
5. bulldozer
6. the sun the moon the stars
7. jahweh
9. sometimes you cant make it on your own
10. xanax and wine
11. skyhawk
13. all because of you

Some of these have been mentioned in other articles by the band. It's just a matter of time when U2 picks the ones that will make the album!

This tracklisting forgot to include one of the mentioned songs! 'Love and Peace or Else' is missing.

I'm sure at least a couple of the songs titles we've seen crop up (or will see crup up) will not make the album, and a few we haven't seen will make the album.

Here are all the *new* songs we've heard about so far that could make the album IMO:

1. All Because of You
2. Native Son
3. One Step Closer To Knowing
4. Jahweh
5. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
6. Xanax and Wine
7. Skyhawk
8. Tough
9. Love and Peace or Else

I'd say at least two tracks from the ATYCLB sessions will make the album, most notably the following:

10. Original of the Species
11. The Sun the Moon and the Stars (not too sure about this one)
12. Bulldozer (also not too sure about this one)

They obviously have enough songs to make a 12 song album. And I'm sure they have more songs than this going right now, so they'll have to narrow it down. Which songs actually end up on the album will be a surprise to everyone, no doubt. This is what makes it fun. We don't know everything yet!

Last edited:
Of course! Here's the revised list:

Here are all the *new* songs we've heard about so far that could make the album IMO:

1. All Because of You
2. Native Son
3. One Step Closer To Knowing
4. Jahweh
5. Sometimes You Can't Make it on Your Own
6. Xanax and Wine
7. Skyhawk
8. Tough
9. Love and Peace or Else
10. Lead Me in the Way I Should Go

I'd say at least two tracks from the ATYCLB sessions will make the album, most notably the following:

11. Original of the Species
12. The Sun the Moon and the Stars (not too sure about this one)
13. Bulldozer (also not too sure about this one)

Not that it really matters, but Bono's been coming up with some awfully clunky titles over the past couple years. Of course, this doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the song, so I don't know why I even bring it up...:shrug:

Dorian Gray said:
Not that it really matters, but Bono's been coming up with some awfully clunky titles over the past couple years. Of course, this doesn't have any bearing on the quality of the song, so I don't know why I even bring it up...:shrug:
I know, it's like he's been reading too many Carlton Cards or something. The titles are usually taken from the chorus of the song, so maybe that says something about the lyrical direction of the songs? U2 songs have historically had fairly big choruses, which rely on vowel sounds that enable Bono to open his voice up. Typically, words and phrases with a lot of vowel sounds are fairly basic, and non descriptive - which leads to a generic sounding title pointing to some big idea or sentiment - ie, 'In The Name of Love', 'I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For', etc. Thankfully, the lyrics in the verses are generally more poetic. Some of U2's most poetic titles are taken from places other than the chorus, such as 'Running To Stand Still', taken from the last line in the last verse - though perhaps a bad example since it, too, has strong vowel sounds.

Last edited:
As I have kept an archive for questions like this.....

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Left off of Behind:
Love and Peace (Soul)*
Original of the Species*
Yesterday and Tomorrow*
Sun Moon Stars *
Stir My Soul
Stranded *
Bulldozer *
Levitation-Bono describes this song as a direction that the album could have gone.
Jubilee
Novelty Act-rumoured song to appear on Stuck in a Moment single.
Busy Bee-seen on Beautiful Day video. Again the white board under Elevation.

The proof of these most of these titles is from Propaganda. The white board was listed and these were songs listed. (*) Some of these songs are mentioned often and could land on the next album.

New and Improved:
One Step Closer to Knowing (Bono quote in magazine)
Tough
Sky Hawk (U2 log)
Sometimes you can't make it on your own
or
Sometimes you can make it on your own (sang at fathers funeral)(Q magazine)
You can't give your heart away (Q magazine)
I Love You (played during the elevation tour on Edge's b-day)
All Because You (5/10) (Bono quote and ignoreland)
An American Prayer (12/02)
Native Son (2/14) [used to be full metal jacket](7/13) (ignoreland)
Lead Me in the Way I Should Go (2/22) (Q magazine)
Xanax and Wine (ignoreland)
Jahwah (7/13) (ignoreland and u2log)

Interesting that "Love and Peace" is another song that has survived and has recently come back up again.

Last edited:
don't worry about it..when I see these kinds of posts......well lets just say that I know too much about supposed songs and there titles........

ZigZag said:
But if the songs wern't good enough for ATYCLB, why would they be good for the new album?
It's not necessarily that they weren't good enough for ATYCLB, but simply not the right fit. If, for example, they were harder edged songs with heavy guitar, then they may not have fit in with the songs on ATYCLB. Or perhaps they didn't fit in for any number of other reasons, be it thematically, sonically, or what have you. The same thing happened with 'Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me...' and 'If God Will Send His Angels' during the Zooropa sessions. They didn't think it fit, so they saved them for different projects. It wasn't that they weren't good enough for their respective albums, just too different. Another possible reason these songs weren't inlcuded on ATYCLB is that there were simply too many songs to choose from. They had to pick about 11 songs that combined together in the best possible way, and as such there would inevitably be some quality tracks left over. Even Adam said in a Rolling Stone article back in 2002 that there would likely be some leftovers surfacing on the next record because "they're good".

Last edited:
Lanois also said that the band had spent a lot of time on a couple of rockers but they ultimately didn't make the album.

I could certainly use some "rockers". When I say "rockers", I don't mean beautiful day or discoteche. I mean more along the lines of Exit, Acrobat, The Electric Co, God II, SBS....

People keep mentioning Tough as a "new" song, but I'm almost certain I remember hearing about this track before ATYCLB came out. I even remember a quote from Bono saying that song was about his old man and how when Bono was a kid he wished his dad didn't have to be so "Tough" all the time.

I've also heard of a track called, "A Man's Man". I'm wondering if Tough and A Man's Man are one and the same.

I believe those 2 tracks are one and the same from different articles i've written. I head that too that "Tough" was to be on ATYCLB - as well as Bulldozer

I at least hope we hear those songs as b-sides! They sound too cool not to be heard! Tough and Bulldozer, I'm really looking foreward to hearing those!!! lol

i heard tough turned into grace and bulldozer turned into peace on earth

dont hold me to it, its just what i heard

Mango said:
I've also heard of a track called, "A Man's Man". I'm wondering if Tough and A Man's Man are one and the same.

i think 'a mans a man' actually turned into 'hands that built america'....

im just curious about where 'a blessing in disguise' came from

i got the tracks: the album calls: "SIR DRINK A LOT"

1irish car bomb 2drunk in a moment you can't get out of
3my guinness pt1 4living like homer simpson
5where's the bar, man? 6pint sweet pint 7duff beer for me, duff beer for you, i have a duff, you have one too 8my guinness pt2
9my friend jack from tennessee 10long john 11enemy of water 12dry throat 13urine smell 14ali's fist 15headache 16finally sober

:lol: babyman!

:hmm: I wonder what Headache will have to say about your song number 15...

u2girl, i swear, these are the right titles! in headache you hear just : "boom, boom, boom ,boom"... it's bono's head banging, hit by ali on one night when he returned drunk at home, stinking of beer. this will be a very autobiographical record about bono's hangovers, but how you see, there's a happy end after ali's intervention... "finally sober" :happy: :happy: here bono sings: "in the naaaaaaame of beer, NO MORE in the name of beer!" :)

With the album coming out probably around next australian spring (october/september_, i decided to reignite this thread i posted regarding tack listing, anymore rumours regarding new songs?

haha everyboy is soo sure full metal jacket turned into native son as if somebody has ever heard any of those songs. yeah yeah bono said something about fmj. well: haha that doesnt mean anything.

btw if american prayer is to be the opener of this album i wont buy it.

Man...with They Might Be Giants new album "The Spine", they've played many of the new songs live, hinted at them, and the track list has just been revealed. (16 tracks!) Not only that, but the album is coming out a month before it was expected to.

And then I come to check the U2 album...and...well...it doesn't even seem like I'm waiting for anything anymore.

Back
Top Bottom