'Pop' the album and '90s DM

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
This is not an attempt at starting a Pop vs. ATYCLB fight. So please don't turn it into one. I was listening to Depeche Mode's singles 86-98 compilation today which, by the way is absolutely amazing if you haven't heard it. And I realized that I really dig songs like Barrel Of A Gun, It's No Good and Home... It's the electro rock/techno rock/dance thing that Pop has too. I was thinking maybe the people who don't like Pop don't like 90s Depeche Mode either. And maybe they don't care for that whole genre. Is it true? Personally, it is one of my favorite genres. Cmon, you Pop haters... gimme some answers.

:wink:

Yeah Zootlesque, I got that idea too!

I frequently listen to DM's 86-98 and "Exciter" and there are many songs which elements remind me of some U2 song from the 90's...
Depeche Mode rocks too!!

Zootlesque said:
I was listening to Depeche Mode's singles 86-98 compilation today (...) And I realized that I really dig songs like Barrel Of A Gun, It's No Good and Home... It's the electro rock/techno rock/dance thing that Pop has too.

Leave the singles and buy the album "Ultra" by DM... it's their best record IMO... and it's the one released sometime around the "POP"s era...

The piont that you would/should get here, but you wont because people in America already forgot DM (like many other artists that are still very popular in Europe) is that DM always did electronic music and only used some of Rock elements, while U2 always did rock music and (on POP) used some electronic elements (maybe electro rock/techno, rock/dance are to big words here... it's just small elements of it)... and then you would get some stupid, pointless, meaningless and not true insults towards POP that your avarege POPbasher would invent and write here to troll alittle...

If you like this "era" of DM than you should also check the solo album of DM's singer Dave Gahan titled "Paper Monsters". It's almost the same style of electronic rock... released in 2003.

Last edited:
like bathiu said, "ultra" is also for me the best dm record, and surely one of the best records from the 90's. it was released i think only a couple of weeks before pop. in fact, i remember that i heard "barrel of a gun" for the first time on the radio on the same day that i heard also discothèque.
there were some sonic similarities between both albuns, as well as with "earthling" from david bowie, also from 1997.

Depeche Mode's highlight was Somebody. A few hits here and there after that, and then it was downhill for them.

One of my favorite tracks though is a b-side called "Fools" but it wasn't a hit.

Cheers,

J

I liked 'I feel You' and 'walking in my shoes' by DM..

They're not a band I could really get into, but I drag them out once in a while.

jick said:
Depeche Mode's highlight was Somebody. A few hits here and there after that, and then it was downhill for them.

One of my favorite tracks though is a b-side called "Fools" but it wasn't a hit.

Cheers,

J

Yeah, just a few hits after that:

Stripped
Never Let Me Down
Question of Time
Question of Lust
Strangelove
Behind the Wheel
Personal Jesus
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth
I Feel You
Walking in My Shoes
Barrel of a Gun
It's No Good
Dream On

U2 just had a few hits after Pride as well.

bsp77 said:

Yeah, just a few hits after that:

Stripped
Never Let Me Down
Question of Time
Question of Lust
Strangelove
Behind the Wheel
Personal Jesus
Enjoy the Silence
Policy of Truth
I Feel You
Walking in My Shoes
Barrel of a Gun
It's No Good
Dream On

U2 just had a few hits after Pride as well.

Stripped is a Christina Aguilera album.

Never Let Me Down was a provisional title of a song Bono and Lanois were working on in the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack but was eventually changed a bit.

Strangelove is the surname of a popular doctor.

Personal Jesus is a Johnny Cash song.

Walking In My Shoes is a Weird Al Yankovic parody of The Police's Walking On The Moon.

It's No Good is a catch phrase derived from U2 fans who are constantly asked about the POP album.

Dream On was their sequel to their bigger hit, Dreaming Of Me.

What did I miss?

Cheers,

J

I am no fan of Pop or Depeche Mode. YES it IS the genre, the style of music that I dislike, and it always has been that! That's why all the 'don't get it' and 'bad fan' comments bug me so much. I just plain dislike that style of music, the same way I dislike rap metal and whiney country ballads. It's all about personal TASTE, that's all!

U2girl said:
Not that getting music has anything to do with liking it. That's always been a ridicioulus argument.

People are not composers yet they like classical music, for example.

Exactly what I've been trying to say for years :up:

I've sort of re-discovered POP as part of my deeper and longer and more intense re-discovery of U2, and I think the record is very important in the band's evolution.
I'm actually loving several tracks on it generally and seeing POPMART as spectacle as the extreme parody/critique it was intended to be.
Oh, and by the way, while not a huge fan of DM, I like them, too.
(And seeing Skinny Puppy last summer was incredible.)
love, Anu

Re: Re: 'Pop' the album and '90s DM

bathiu said:

Leave the singles and buy the album "Ultra" by DM... it's their best record IMO... and it's the one released sometime around the "POP"s era...

The piont that you would/should get here, but you wont because people in America already forgot DM (like many other artists that are still very popular in Europe) is that DM always did electronic music and only used some of Rock elements, while U2 always did rock music and (on POP) used some electronic elements (maybe electro rock/techno, rock/dance are to big words here... it's just small elements of it)... and then you would get some stupid, pointless, meaningless and not true insults towards POP that your avarege POPbasher would invent and write here to troll alittle...

If you like this "era" of DM than you should also check the solo album of DM's singer Dave Gahan titled "Paper Monsters". It's almost the same style of electronic rock... released in 2003.

Yeah, I've always been curious about Ultra. Cos I just love Barrel of a gun, It's No Good and Home to death. :rockon: I totally agree with your comment about DM forgotten in America. Most people consider them an 80s band. And they drastically changed their sound in the 90s. They may have been techno w/ some rock elements in the 80s. But in the 90s, they sounded like rock w/ a techno element.

jick said:

Stripped is a Christina Aguilera album.

Never Let Me Down was a provisional title of a song Bono and Lanois were working on in the Million Dollar Hotel Soundtrack but was eventually changed a bit.

Strangelove is the surname of a popular doctor.

Personal Jesus is a Johnny Cash song.

Walking In My Shoes is a Weird Al Yankovic parody of The Police's Walking On The Moon.

It's No Good is a catch phrase derived from U2 fans who are constantly asked about the POP album.

Dream On was their sequel to their bigger hit, Dreaming Of Me.

What did I miss?

Cheers,

J

Is this supposed to be a joke? Cos it's not funny.

Back
Top Bottom