Petition by assholes for Bono to retire from public life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^

Yeah that was my reaction too. Good for a laugh. :lol:

Yeah, but unless they raise more like $100 million or so it is pathetic. If they're argueing that (RED) does more harm than good then they need to be able to raise more than (RED) has.

Dana

Sigh.

If only they knew the real Bono... the Bono that was visible more during the 80s and 90s, the Bono that the media doesn't publicize.

Yeah because YOU - or any of us - know the REAL Bono!
I congratulate you because obviously you're friends with him or even living with him. Wow.

:lol:

Would the REAL Bono please FINALLY stand up?

I want Bono to give up this Africa / third world debt and Aids business but lets face it, politicians wouldnt take up the mantle. I really do wish he would put more effort back into the music.

Yeah because YOU - or any of us - know the REAL Bono!
I congratulate you because obviously you're friends with him or even living with him. Wow.

:lol:

Would the REAL Bono please FINALLY stand up?

I think I know who Bono is better than the people making this petition who only know one U2 song (Vertigo) and judge the band by it...

Hahahahha thats the funniest shit I've read regarding the band. SO what if Bono doesn't retire (like mentioned here already) they will keep the money they raise and use it for alcohol research umm i mean drinking? or perhaps they will take a nice vacation with it?? It is obvious that this petition is certainly not going to stop Bono and they know it too so it almost seems like a plot to steal money from the poor morons who actually donate to these people. And it is laughable that because they raise 1000 dollars that Bono is going to stop. I mean come on 1000 dollars is nothing but a drop of water in an ocean compared to what Bono has raised to fight aids and equality and so on. Well I guess they will surely enjoy those 1000+ dollars they raise although I can't say I feel bad for the people who donated this money cos they are just as moronic as the person who started this pettition. Infact I hope they donate all their money only to get nothing in return cos that would be funny.

Anyway my stomach hurts now from laughing so hard... thanks alot guys!

I want Bono to give up this Africa / third world debt and Aids business but lets face it, politicians wouldnt take up the mantle. I really do wish he would put more effort back into the music.

Why do you want him to give up something he believes in?

Bono will NEVER stop this, he's in there for the rest of his life, like it or not.
Don't you think people will get even more cynical and bash him even more if he gave up the whole thing now?
Besides, I would be very disappointed if he did.
And I may be naive, but I think this is the REAL Bono or as close as it gets, because obviously Bono has found something he's really passionate about, besides the music, and he's on a mission now.
Say what you want about his ways and motives, but he's surely a passionate fighter for what he believes is right.
I don't believe he's the person to ever give up such a fight.

Sigh.

If only they knew the real Bono... the Bono that was visible more during the 80s and 90s, the Bono that the media doesn't publicize.

This is just... well to keep it nice, very uninformed. It always amuzes me when younger fans come in here and think they know how the 80's and 90's were...

People were making the same types of gripes about Bono back in the 80's and 90's. He was just as annoying to some folks back then as he is to others now. Rock stars who do anything outside of just playing music will annoy some folks. Sad but true. So don't think for a minute that this is something new.

I love that Bono cares enough about his fellow man to give of his time, and how is his music affected in a negative way because he does? I think it richer for it.

And who says the new material will be lacking?

I don't mean to come off as attacking anyone personally, but geez, how often have I heard statements just like this! I just don't get it.

Wow...that made my day. Bono retiring. Wow, not gonna happen.
Him and Mick Jagger both--death on stage when they're 100.

Well then thank God it's them instead of you...

I'm sorry but it amazes me sometimes how causually people can throw off this whole issue. It's like "Yeah yeah Bono, kids dying...people starvin'...no drugs...blah blah - c'mon, we know! Now play some tunes already!" I know it's very difficult to grasp the reality of it in our comfortable world of plenty, but people are actually dying as we speak because their too poor to stay alive. Bono has said he would love to retire from all that political "business", but there's just not enough people doing the hard work and holding the leverage he has.

Bono's work may seem like just high-minded rhetoric to some people, but the projects that he has worked on (take RED for example) have actually meant life to people who would otherwise have died. And the important thing to remember in that is, 'those people could've very well included me'.

^I totally agree with you :up:

Hahahahha thats the funniest shit I've read regarding the band. SO what if Bono doesn't retire (like mentioned here already) they will keep the money they raise and use it for alcohol research umm i mean drinking? or perhaps they will take a nice vacation with it?? It is obvious that this petition is certainly not going to stop Bono and they know it too so it almost seems like a plot to steal money from the poor morons who actually donate to these people. And it is laughable that because they raise 1000 dollars that Bono is going to stop. I mean come on 1000 dollars is nothing but a drop of water in an ocean compared to what Bono has raised to fight aids and equality and so on. Well I guess they will surely enjoy those 1000+ dollars they raise although I can't say I feel bad for the people who donated this money cos they are just as moronic as the person who started this pettition. Infact I hope they donate all their money only to get nothing in return cos that would be funny.

Anyway my stomach hurts now from laughing so hard... thanks alot guys!

Well, if they did pay for Bono to get out of the puclic sigth, they deserve to be robbed :yes:

Bono's work may seem like just high-minded rhetoric to some people, but the projects that he has worked on (take RED for example) have actually meant life to people who would otherwise have died. And the important thing to remember in that is, 'those people could've very well included me'.

To play devil's advocate for a second, couldn't Bono work on those projects behind the scenes and not be so public about them? Bono should just say check out these websites and organizations in public and move on to whatever he was doing. There isn't a need for lengthy speeches and whoring himself out at every chance. If he wants to talk about Africa than put it in your songs or write a book. While I don't agree with this petition, Bono could and probably should not be so public about Africa.

To play devil's advocate for a second, couldn't Bono work on those projects behind the scenes and not be so public about them? Bono should just say check out these websites and organizations in public and move on to whatever he was doing. There isn't a need for lengthy speeches and whoring himself out at every chance. If he wants to talk about Africa than put it in your songs or write a book. While I don't agree with this petition, Bono could and probably should not be so public about Africa.

Isn't the point of Bono being involved in the issues, to make the public more aware of them? I am all for Bono's intentions, and would be gracious if he decided one day to stop making music and put all of his efforts into charities and noble causes. Don't get me wrong, I love U2 and want them to release new material for many more years to come, but there are bigger more important things in life, and the issues Bono puts a lot of his time into are definetely some of them.

^^Sorry, I can´t agree, the more publicity his causes have, the more people they will get :shrug:, and as a guy on TV said once, U2 sees their fans as a potencial source of good (or something like that), so I guess he do what he can, bringing people and attention to this "causes" more than bring money to them :shurg: and if he does it because of publicity for himself, I really don´t care, at least someone is making something, it is not so different from other celebrities who do the same :shrug:, but sincerely, I don´t think that´s his reason for doing what he does :D

PD: Hope I made sense :reject:

edit to say: Sony we were writing at the same time :D

Isn't the point of Bono being involved in the issues, to make the public more aware of them? I am all for Bono's intentions, and would be gracious if he decided one day to stop making music and put all of his efforts into charities and noble causes. Don't get me wrong, I love U2 and want them to release new material for many more years to come, but there are bigger more important things in life, and the issues Bono puts a lot of his time into are definetely some of them.

I find writing powerful songs and books will make people more aware than speeches and talk. For example, Bad and Running To Stand Still make people more understanding and aware of the effect of drugs than if Bono talked for hours about. It also is more likely to inspire people.

A movement to get Bono to retire from public life? Well, I was going to make a comment about how some people really need to find something better to do with their time, but then I remembered that I am on an internet message board, so I think I'll just hush up and move on to the next thread.

Um, actually they say they will not actually collect the money until Bono retires so what they are really doing is collecting pledges which is even more meaningless because since people don't actually have to cough up any money they will feel free to pledge whatever. The pledge system in charity collection usually works out not because everyone actually sends in their money but because usually enough people send more than originally pledged that it generally makes up for those who don't send in their pledges at all. I would be willing to bet that a lot of people will pledge money for this that have absolutely no intention of actually sending anything in because they will feel quite confident that Bono will not ever retire. I refuse to even visit this website but just out of curiousity if anyone hear actually looked at it, do these people ever actually say who they are as in giving their actual names rather than just calling themselves AIDS activists?

Dana

Back
Top Bottom