Petition by assholes for Bono to retire from public life!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
^ yeah, pretty much.

There are way too many Bono-haters out there to start a thread about it anytime someone stumbles across one of their sites.

(... but like he's really going to "retire" right before a new album and tour. Ha!)

I find writing powerful songs and books will make people more aware than speeches and talk. For example, Bad and Running To Stand Still make people more understanding and aware of the effect of drugs than if Bono talked for hours about. It also is more likely to inspire people.

I don't think Africa's plight can be summed up in a song.

this is just too ridiculous to comment on... it's a waste of a thread IMO..

I don't think its worth getting wound up about... let the morons do whatever they want to, who cares..:huh: as BC said.. move on..

I dunno if that's the best song to use as an example. The overlying question of the song is "do you think the Russians love their children too?" which is more eye-rolling than profound.

(But I do like the song - great use of Prokofiev.)

I've seen large concepts be summed up in a song. For instance, Russians by Sting captured the tragedy and senselessness of the Cold War. He could examine specific problems in a song.

But in the end Bono could do more for his cause then just write a song about it.

I dunno if that's the best song to use as an example. The overlying question of the song is "do you think the Russians love their children too?" which is more eye-rolling than profound.

(But I do like the song - great use of Prokofiev.)

Eye-rolling but it does capture the fear and anger of the Cold War. :wink:

I've got a better example. Bag Lady by Todd Rundgren is one of the most poignant songs ever. It is about the homeless and it really captures the tragedy of it more than a lecture could.

YouTube - Todd Rundgren - Bag Lady

But in the end Bono could do more for his cause then just write a song about it.

Which is exactly what he's doing. :up:

Beside the fact most of these idiots couldn't decipher the meaning of lyrics anyway.
Based on the statement that they've raised $796 more than (red) has, doesn't speak much to their ability to find out the facts.

There will be plenty more of this to come. So don't start wasting to much energy with things like this. The're just starting to come out of the woodwork. It'll get worse as the publicity machine for the new album kicks into gear.
(that's not directed at you david, I know you are aware of how it get's) :wink:

We are talking about making people aware of the problems. Songs can be far better at that than speeches and constant media appearances.

Well, yeah, I know. Take Bullet the Blue Sky for example. That was great.

But in my opinion I think Bono is doing more for his cause by giving himself and his time.

But in my opinion I think Bono is doing more for his cause by giving himself and his time.

Yes.

Writing and recording politically or socially-conscious songs is one thing, but it's either the performances or what you do other than that that leaves the mark on the public psyche.

Bono is a polarizing figure, but he and other famous figures use their celebrity to promote interest in these humanitarian issues, and I will always have great respect for people like that... but I can also understand why some question their credibility and whatnot.

"Russians" had as much of an impact on the Cold War in the '80s as Rocky IV... probably less.

Unfortunately, people begin to tune out someone like Bono because of the constant blitz of pressuring. A song introduces and conveys the feeling of a problem. It doesn't make you do anything. Bono pressures people by guilting them into believing his answer to Africa's problems. His One speech holds people hostage and takes advantage of them in a moment where their ears belong to the band. There are actually different views on how to best help African countries. In the end, he actually turns people off the subject and they stop listening to him. A song doesn't expect anything of you. It doesn't demand you to do anything. A message in a song is a hope not a demand of the listener.

Unfortunately, people begin to tune out someone like Bono because of the constant blitz of pressuring. A song introduces and conveys the feeling of a problem. It doesn't make you do anything. Bono pressures people by guilting them into believing his answer to Africa's problems. His One speech holds people hostage and takes advantage of them in a moment where their ears belong to the band. There are actually different views on how to best help African countries. In the end, he actually turns people off the subject and they stop listening to him. A song doesn't expect anything of you. It doesn't demand you to do anything. A message in a song is a hope not a demand of the listener.

Yeah, but now-days we have people that tire of songs and start threads on here about how a certain song should be retired because it's lost its passion. Bullet the Blue Sky, again, as another example.

I can understand why you feel this way, because you are at a concert to be entertained.
But why should you or anyone feel guilty about anything?
Why wouldn't you just look at it as something he does and go get a beer or something?

Did he or the music strike a nerve, because it happens, you know.

and while it's true
a song doesn't expect anything of you
Music in general,has always expected more and promoted change.
It began way before U2.

What people seem to forget is that 2/3 of Bono's political work takes place behind the scenes. It's only the occassional public events that we become aware of, but most of it is done on another level, we just don't read and hear about it. Sometimes things have to be made public, because it's about public awareness after all.

Basically, most of the time I'm more worried about Bono personally than about the effect his may have on the music, he seems to take a lot, too much if you ask me, upon himself and the pressure must be hard to deal with. That's why I say I wish there would be other people doing this job, though I accept that some stuff can only be done by someone as famous as Bono.

How is Bono making One speeches any different from Bono the white flag waving kid during War tour or Bono the anti-apartheid/the anti Reagan "messiah" on JT tour ? Their political beliefs were always a part of the game, and if you see it that way he's always held the people "hostage". Rock music has a long history of getting involved in political issues.

I agree a big part of people being sick of him is because it is Bono, already a huge star on his own without Africa. But Bono of today does far more for the cause than Bono the slogan shouter from the 80's.

As for writing a song, I don't think so. If people have issues with listening to a message for a few minutes during a 2 hour+ concert, I doubt they'll have the patience with Africa in the lyrics. As he said himself "statistics don't rhyme".

He'll get critisized no matter what : if he gets an audience with a politician, people whine. If he talks about it at a U2 show, people whine. If he'll start writing about it, people whine.

I've seen large concepts be summed up in a song. For instance, Russians by Sting captured the tragedy and senselessness of the Cold War. He could examine specific problems in a song.

This is just too ridiculous for words. How can you possibly equate the effect of a song with the effect Bono has had on these issues through his campaigning? You can find quotes from numerous politicians and activists involved in the Drop the Debt campaigns who state unequivocably that without Bono this would NEVER have happened on anywhere near the scale that it has. Sure he didn't do it alone, but he was the major driving, inspiring, unifying voice that pushed it through and his celebrity is what linked the issue to a social movement that convinced the politicians that ordinary people cared about this issue. The majority of the members of the ONE campaign were recruited during the time U2 was touring the US and heavily campaigning. The results speak for themselves. Something like 29 million children going to school in Africa due to debt relief. 2 million plus lives saved with anti-retroviral treatment. PEPFAR as imperfect as it may be would never have happened and it is saving millions of lives. There's no way a song would have accomplished this. Bullet the Blue Sky was a fantastic comment on El Salvadore and Nicaragua but I challenge you to prove to me that it had any effect whatsoever on the situation. The number of people who actually got involved and did anything was minimal.

But even leaving all that aside, if you truly listen to Bono himself then you will see that HE needs this work to feed his own soul. He can't justify his spoiled rock star life to himself without doing things to make the world a better place. Instead of griping about how Bono should get back to the music, maybe everyone should say a prayer that Bono thought the music was important enough to stay a part of the mix way back during the recording of October. Both the music and the activism are essential to Bono and giving up either would cripple him emotionally. I could never see Bono choosing to forego embarrassment when the price is paid in lives lost that could have been saved and as melodramatic as that may sound the bottom line is that what he has accomplished over the last 10 years has shown this is the truth. He has saved countless lives just as Geldof did with Band Aid.

Dana

.........But even leaving all that aside, if you truly listen to Bono himself then you will see that HE needs this work to feed his own soul. He can't justify his spoiled rock star life to himself without doing things to make the world a better place. Instead of griping about how Bono should get back to the music, maybe everyone should say a prayer that Bono thought the music was important enough to stay a part of the mix way back during the recording of October. Both the music and the activism are essential to Bono and giving up either would cripple him emotionally. I could never see Bono choosing to forego embarrassment when the price is paid in lives lost that could have been saved and as melodramatic as that may sound the bottom line is that what he has accomplished over the last 10 years has shown this is the truth. He has saved countless lives just as Geldof did with Band Aid.

Dana

Agreed 100%, Dana.:up:

Some of the ignorant believe he should shut his mouth and donate his money and that would be more beneficial. Ignorance is NOT bliss anymore.

It really does come down to ignorance and jealousy. That's all it is. People see and believe what is on the surface and then they are sold and they choose to not 'waste their time' by doing some research and seeing what good people U2, especially Bono is. I mean for Christ's sake, the band is rich as hell. When people bitch about the fact that he tells people to donate money and they complain that he has private jets and good clothes I want to say "You idiot! You're honestly trying to tell me if you had all of that money you wouldn't spend some of it on yourself so you had good things? That you would live humbly?" And for everyone who says yes to that is either lying or stupid.

It's fact: The more money you earn, the more money you spend, on yourself. Those people who are rich - athletes, musicians, politicians *cough cough*, and other CEO's who don't donate their money to charities and keep all of their money to themselves, those are the people that these people who hate Bono should really be going after.

I let it roll off my back most the time, but sometimes it just builds and enough is enough.

But, because I'm a Constitutionalist, whole other story, I support these idiots rights to express their ignorant and jealous thoughts, even though I don't agree with it for one bit.

In the words of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog, "These people bring up good points.....for me to poop on!"

Some people have too much time on their hands...Bono is a great person and a great musician. Leave him alone...find someone less deserving to pick on.

Just another fool wanting his 15 seconds of fame. Good to see somebody from the RED campaign trying to show them the facts. Whether they believe them or not is another question.

Bono hasnt ever held anybody hostage, if you dont like the political message in U2 shows dont listen to it.

Personally I wish more people would stand up and be counted, rather then "not doing anything", because that in the end is the biggest problem. If people were energetic and tried to do something many more problems would be solved in the world, from poverty to medicine to humanitarianism, the world would just be a better place if everybody did what they can to make it better.

I don't have a problem with Bono's causes. In fact, I greatly admire the work that he does.

I'm going out on a limb. Because, I don't read too many of Bono's interviews. But, some things he has said, really stick to my mind. I can't quite him or anything like that. But, Bono did make it clear on how he felt about extreme poverty. He used terms like "Catholic Guilt." And direct references from The Torah, The Bible, and Holy Koran as to exactly what we are to supposed to do, for those who do not have food and shelter.

We are our brother's keeper.

I don't agree with the petition.

I don't have a problem with Bono's causes. In fact, I greatly admire the work that he does.

I'm going out on a limb. Because, I don't read too many of Bono's interviews. But, some things he has said, really stick to my mind. I can't quite him or anything like that. But, Bono did make it clear on how he felt about extreme poverty. He used terms like "Catholic Guilt." And direct references from The Torah, The Bible, and Holy Koran as to exactly what we are to supposed to do, for those who do not have food and shelter.

We are our brother's keeper.

I don't agree with the petition.

hmmmm biatches those people are but IS BONO OKAY????

Sigh.

If only they knew the real Bono... the Bono that was visible more during the 80s and 90s, the Bono that the media doesn't publicize.

hey guys

it's me, the REAL bono

i'm not okay

because the heart and soul of africa is on its knees

the thing I shall never understand is why people even BOTHER to seriously argue about this :| what was that saying again about bringing water to the sea?

Back
Top Bottom