OOtS... I don't get it...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dr_Macphisto

War Child
So, what is the deal with everyone saying this is one of the best U2 songs ever? I am not trying to pick a fight, but I just don't see where all the love it coming from. The lyric "I want a lot of what you got, and I want nothing that you're not" em-bare ass-es me almost, and then the rhyme combo of steal-feel-kneel ain't that hot either.

I really just can't understand how this pop song is considered epic and classic U2.

(Note* - Please... no one say "to each their own:wink: )

Everywhere you go, you shout it
You don't have to be shy about it

and

Do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do!
Do, do, do, do, do, do, do!
Sugar c'mon
Show your soul
You've been keeping your love
Under control. . .

edit: and Edge's guitar!!!!

discothequeLP said:
Everywhere you go, you shout it
You don't have to be shy about it

and

Do, do, do, do, do, do, do, do!
Do, do, do, do, do, do, do!
Sugar c'mon
Show your soul
You've been keeping your love
Under control. . .

edit: and Edge's guitar!!!!

I personally find the lyrics a little cheesy... Bono's overuse of "soul" and "kneel" on HTDAAB is kinda insulting.

Dr_Macphisto said:

I personally find the lyrics a little cheesy... Bono's overuse of "soul" and "kneel" on HTDAAB is kinda insulting.

Insulting? How?

I think the beauty of OOTS is that it is reminisent of a classic Beattles song(s). The song structure and melodies remind people of Hey Jude or others. It starts at point A, travels effortlessly to point Z, and then circle back to point A again. It soars with beauty and we can tell the band had lots of fun with it.

I love it b/c it's a sweet little song and really good for singing along! :wink:

i think it's a gorgeous song, one of my faves off of HTDAAB

my favorite : "baby slow down, the end is not as fun as the start, please stay a child somewhere in your heart"

i think it's a good message - to stay a child somewhere in your heart - i think we all need to, imho.

lauren430 said:
I love it b/c it's a sweet little song and really good for singing along! :wink:

Hm... few years later, you'll all think of it like Wild Honey now...:wink:

But seriously, I find the song "weird". Strange key-change, and I don't think that "orchestral" part should be there. It has some great melodies and parts (the guitar in the chorus and the acoustic in the verse), but they could've been used in an other way...

P.S. My sister and her boyfriend (who are not big U2 fans) adore it... :eyebrow: (maybe that "sweet little song" thing...)

It's an ok song...but almost TOO poppy for U2. The lyric "i'll give you everything that you want, except the thing that you want" (or something) is the really embarassing lyric. C'mon, Bono, you can do better than that.

And i agree that Bono repeats some of the words way too many times on this album's songs. I mean he rhymes "tracks" with "backs" on two different songs (LAPOE and ABOY)!

I came to conclusion that Atomic Bomb is a record with overproduced B-sides. :|
(it's exactly how i feel 'bout the songs)

OOTS was a song that I loved and hated at first for different reasons. As with most of the flaws on this album, it can be attributed to Bono. Edge sounds great and the actual music is good. Lyrically is where this song falls short.

I have learned to appreciate this song more by focusing on the strengths.

that song is one big chorus,and i don't mean it in a positive way.
the only thing that saves the song from drowning in all its "chorusness" is "sugar come on...." part.

I love it just because for me, it's the way a girl wishes her Dad would talk about/to her.

Perhaps it's an emotional song for women who always longed for that love and never got it, well that's why it is for me

Not just for women either, I think a man could feel the same way about it for the same reasons

Last edited:
Its just getting better and better for me..I love the odd song structure and the chorus is wonderful and emotive.

I love OOTS. Yes its verrrrrrrrrrry singalong but its done superbly. I love this song, hit me straight away and I still love hearing it. Reminds me, in a way, of Ultra Violet, not so much the music but the feeling the song gives me. Great tune. Best song on the album along with Love and Peace Or Else.

Its an awesome song. To me it sounds like pure joy, so uplifting. Bonos little laugh near the end sums up OOTS for me!
:) :)

uninspired lyrics (short verse, long chorus repeated a lot of times), melody for a teenage pop band (maybe that's the intention), and why the hell sounding like the beatles is a good thing?
the guitar is ok
could be a b-side

bedouin fire said:
uninspired lyrics (short verse, long chorus repeated a lot of times), melody for a teenage pop band (maybe that's the intention), and why the hell sounding like the beatles is a good thing?
the guitar is ok
could be a b-side

Awful post, wrong on every level.

Sleep Over Jack said:

Awful post, wrong on every level.

Hang on its an awful post cos he don't like the song? He is entitled to his opinion. I reckon its the best track on the album but that don't make me right.

Back
Top Bottom