OFFICIAL - New Album Delayed Until 2009

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Actually people have known about that for at least a month. :shrug:

I don't know why you bother.

The info has been around for a while, but there has been no hype. It's been in the Big W store for over a month, but noone actually believed it would be released or that it would be official.

My point, which you seem to miss every time you offer up your arbitrary, contrary nonsense, was that the hype and publicity machine was not in overdrive, there was no major announcements, no major hype, just it appeared in some online stores. No official word from the band, nothing.

Here's one for you Screwtape:
During the day, the sky is blue. Sometimes when it's cloudy, the clouds can be white, grey, black or even orange and red depending on whether or not the sun is shining on those clouds. Tell me I'm wrong. I know you will, just prove my point and tell me I'm wrong

The REAL REASON 4 the delay of the NEW ALBUM IS HERE!

en00115730002pd0.jpg

Bono needs few months more for his GREAT DIET!!:lol:

You don't appear to care how much your album sells (i.e., you don't release it right before the biggest shopping season of the year--you let the music, not the season, dictate its sales). I don't even know why I'm arguing this. I don't even really care that much--it'd just be nice to see the band get out of the rut and release an album in the spring/summer (for those of us in the northern hemisphere).

the music will always do the talking...if the album sucks it won't get the sales..simple as that...it's not like all U2 have to do is release it at a certain time and boom...millions of copies are sold. Paul will always try to maximize sales...it's called being a good businessman...there's nothing wrong with this at all...I don't know why you would ever be put off by this. :shrug:

the music will always do the talking...if the album sucks it won't get that many sales..simple as that...it's not like all U2 have to do is release it at a certain time and boom...millions of copies are sold. Paul will always try to maximize sales...it's called being a good businessman...there's nothing wrong with this at all...I don't know why you would ever be put off by this. :shrug:

In the end, it doesn't matter what you say to legitimately defend the band, the naysayers always claim its blind ignorant devotion.

People seem to forget that U2 will sell 5 million copies of this album whether its released in november or june or Feb 29th. Consider that they get a great advantage from releasing in November, as well as sales... It wraps the 3rd leg of the tour up just before xmas... lets them have a break, and if they are going to keep going, they have a month with their family, the refresh the show and are off again. They are very structured in their processes... they have to be, or we will have another Popmart fiasco where they don't know the songs come first gig.

I don't know why you bother.

The info has been around for a while, but there has been no hype. It's been in the Big W store for over a month, but noone actually believed it would be released or that it would be official.

My point, which you seem to miss every time you offer up your arbitrary, contrary nonsense, was that the hype and publicity machine was not in overdrive, there was no major announcements, no major hype, just it appeared in some online stores. No official word from the band, nothing.

Here's one for you Screwtape:
During the day, the sky is blue. Sometimes when it's cloudy, the clouds can be white, grey, black or even orange and red depending on whether or not the sun is shining on those clouds. Tell me I'm wrong. I know you will, just prove my point and tell me I'm wrong

There was no hype because it isn't being released by U2. It is being released by a independent company. Why would you hype something that you didn't have complete creative control over?

Oh and clouds are never red or orange. What you are seeing is actually sunlight. The clouds themselves are different color than what you are seeing. So you're wrong about that part. :wink:

the music will always do the talking...if the album sucks it won't get the sales..simple as that...it's not like all U2 have to do is release it at a certain time and boom...millions of copies are sold. Paul will always try to maximize sales...it's called being a good businessman...there's nothing wrong with this at all...I don't know why you would ever be put off by this. :shrug:

So on December 26th, 2004 when my store (one of many, many retailers which carries music) got about 50 returned unopened copies of HTDAAB, those initial sales were all the album talking? No. They were "safe" music Christmas presents with good intentions given to teenagers who couldn't care less about U2. But by that time, the sales numbers are already there. So imagine it's not a fluke and it's not just my store which had "safe" music returnings (I know for a fact that it wasn't just my store because I have friends who also work retail). That's a lot of purchased albums where the music didn't do the talking. That's a lot of purchased albums that were solely based upon the season.

There was no hype because it isn't being released by U2. It is being released by a independent company. Why would you hype something that you didn't have complete creative control over?

Oh and clouds are never red or orange. What you are seeing is actually sunlight. The clouds themselves are different color than what you are seeing. So you're wrong about that part. :wink:

Actually then, we can use the arguement that nothing is ever any colour. Colour is only made apparent by light on anything. That's why when you turn off lights, things go dark :up:

If sunlight shines on a cloud and makes it look oragne, it is orange. The colour is filtering through it to create the colour, just as light brightens other items to make them visible.

Anything that features a concert by my band, I would be acknowledging it's release. It may not recieve the attention that a new album would, but it would sure as shit get some acknowledgment.

What colour is the ocean screw? what colour are green leaves?

Yes, and yes. :up:

I wish I had superheroes in the music industry. Ones who can do no wrong. It must really be nice to see nothing but diamonds in a field of coal. :up:

So on December 26th, 2004 when my store (one of many, many retailers which carries music) got about 50 returned unopened copies of HTDAAB, those initial sales were all the album talking? No. They were "safe" music Christmas presents with good intentions given to teenagers who couldn't care less about U2. But by that time, the sales numbers are already there. So imagine it's not a fluke and it's not just my store which had "safe" music returnings (I know for a fact that it wasn't just my store because I have friends who also work retail). That's a lot of purchased albums where the music didn't do the talking. That's a lot of purchased albums that were solely based upon the season.

you speak like something is only able to be bought as a xmas present because it was released close to xmas. what about birthdays? surely things get returned all year round?

What about the benefits to poor hardcore u2 fans that wouldnt be able to buy the cd, but have it given to them as a xmas present?

If it was released in June, you would still have people buying it as a safe xmas present anyway...

I wish I had superheroes in the music industry. Ones who can do no wrong. It must really be nice to see nothing but diamonds in a field of coal. :up:

see my response to rob re legitimately defending the band... Some people just love coming here to cause arguements.

Discussion is healthy, barefaced contradiction based on loosely formed opinions is neither productive, nor is it really wanted. Again, I find it amazing that someone has the time to spend making 14,000 posts on here, yet when it comes down to it, likes the bands old music, but doesnt really respect them... The life of a struggling musician ay?

:lmao: How many people buy Christmas presents in June or the album months later when it is buried with the U2 albums?

people that like u2 that want to share music with friends and family?

buried with the other albums? at my local record store the bomb is still out ranking other albums at least 3 to 1, and there is a display above the bands section with the most recent album.

Apparently albums are only available for a short window when they are released, and then never allowed to be bought again??? I bought HTDAAB as birthday presents for a few friends well into 2005. Hell, I even gave Boy to a friend in 2003... hope that was ok with you guys?

see my response to rob re legitimately defending the band... Some people just love coming here to cause arguements.

Discussion is healthy, barefaced contradiction based on loosely formed opinions is neither productive, nor is it really wanted. Again, I find it amazing that someone has the time to spend making 14,000 posts on here, yet when it comes down to it, likes the bands old music, but doesnt really respect them... The life of a struggling musician ay?

I post here because I have friends here from when U2 was my favourite band. There is an entire forum outside of EYKIW. I'm rarely in this part of the forum. Maybe 2,000 of my posts have been about U2 in my 5 years here. But anyway, you could always put me on ignore if you don't think my opinions are productive or wanted. :shrug: I won't lose any sleep over it.

I post here because I have friends here from when U2 was my favourite band. There is an entire forum outside of EYKIW. I'm rarely in this part of the forum. Maybe 2,000 of my posts have been about U2 in my 5 years here. But anyway, you could always put me on ignore if you don't think my opinions are productive or wanted. :shrug: I won't lose any sleep over it.

I just find it baffling that you even have the energy to argue these points if you feel that strongly. If you think U2 have sold out, your opinion, adn you are entitled to it. But aside from objectively stating your opinions, this isn't the place for an all-in band bashing session...

I just find it baffling that you even have the energy to argue these points if you feel that strongly. If you think U2 have sold out, your opinion, adn you are entitled to it. But aside from objectively stating your opinions, this isn't the place for an all-in band bashing session...

It's not all-in. It's a 00's band bashing session. Not all of U2's albums have been released in the late fall. Just the ones since they've been actively trying to be the biggest band in the world.

It's not all-in. It's a 00's band bashing session. Not all of U2's albums have been released in the late fall. Just the ones since they've been actively trying to be the biggest band in the world.

and their frist two, and a few after that (someone posted all of them before).

What is wrong with trying to be the biggest band in the world? What's wrong with getting your message to as many people as possible? It's not like they need more money.. They could happily retire and live like kings for generations on what they've made...

and their frist two, and a few after that (someone posted all of them before).

What is wrong with trying to be the biggest band in the world? What's wrong with getting your message to as many people as possible? It's not like they need more money.. They could happily retire and live like kings for generations on what they've made...

Just because people don't need more money doesn't mean they don't want more money. Need and want are two very different things.

Just because people don't need more money doesn't mean they don't want more money. Need and want are two very different things.

So by that logic, U2 are nothing more than money-grubbing empty shells, only making music to wring the last miserly buck out of the music industry that they can?

U2 haven't made an official statement saying that the album will be released in 2009. Its all rumors at this stage. I am still hoping for a November release which I think will happen.

This place is starting to confuse the hell out of me. First people whine because U2 - according to rumors - consider pushing the release date of their album back to 2009 instead of releasing it before Christmas while at the same time there is a lot of complaining about U2 always releasing stuff before Christmas because it appears to be a business strategy. :scratch: Other than what some of you are calling the "U2 police" who thinks they "can do no wrong" I might consider some people here the opposite of that, because apparently, U2 can do no right.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I can't believe it...screw are you serious? There's absolutely nothing wrong with U2 wanting more money even though they don't need it....who the hell doesn't want more money? Bill Gates is a billionaire and has been for a long ass time...yet he still wants as much money as he can get his rich hands on...it's natural, everyone wants money. When you make money, you only want more, and this cycle keeps repeating on a daily basis....Obviously Paul McG wants money, and obviously they don't need it....but they're going to fucking get it cause it's a business at the same time! Honestly some of these arguments are so baseless and senseless! It's like some of you want so badly to find fault with the band for things that are so completely normal! Give it up already....

I'd argue that the latter is more important but let's not start that debate.

I don't think you even have to argue that point.

Its pretty much paramount at this point in the music biz....no matter who you are.

When a band has the ability to make 300-500K people get up off their keester and go to their local music store/mega mart and plop down $15 on a CD in the first week of its release...its pretty safe to say that selling records is very...VERY important.

so people are saying they have done these little video's on the website, just for them to delay the album until 2009?

hmmm ye right

according to U2.com Edge is going to be in London next week! someone get there and ask him when the albums gonna be released!!!:D

They may have made the "re-applying for the job" statement pre-ATYCLB, but do you really think U2 didn't have the ambition to be the biggest band in the world in the '80's and '90's?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom