of all the opening acts on the vertigo tour...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

europop2005

Refugee
who have you most become a fan of? i'm finally getting some time to discover new music, and I love the Secret Machines and Kings of Leon...as well as a certain Arcade Fire :wink:

In terms of "live" I really liked Kanye. He was great and I wished I taped him...

i like the killers, arcade fire, and the secret machines. Unfortunately I had Damien Marley as my opening act. I like Bob but I had no clue what Damien was saying.
And Pearl Jam is my second favorite band so that worked out perfectly.

elevated_u2_fan said:
Definitely The Arcade Fire and while I think they only opened for 1 show, Doves...

Doves opened up for U2???? Doves are so underated in the US. So sad.

Kings and Secret Machines. Secret Machines filled up the stadium in Monterrey Mexico :)

Kanye
Damian Marley (for the appearance of Stephen, even)
Arcade Fire

I thought Kings of Leon and that foolish Gavin Rossdale thing and Dashboard Confessional to be utterly atrocious.

Last edited:
I was already a fan of KOL before they opened for U2, but I still really like them. I've been listening to Kanye West a lot lately, too. And let's not forget about Rocko and the Devils :wink:

I like Arcade Fire and the Killers, too, but haven't been listening to them much lately.

We saw the Kings of Leon at one show and Dashboard Confessional at the other. Neither one of them did much for me. :( I would have *much* preferred Arcade Fire, the Killers, or Franz Ferdinand. Or Editors . . . .

I was unfortunate enough to witness Dashboard Confessional opening for U2. Let's just say I wasn't rushing out to buy their album after the concert.

I saw Arcade Fire open for U2 three times over a 4-day span and immediately loved them. They're now one of my favourite bands.

I saw Dashboard Confessional at Toronto IV and was not impressed at all.

I saw Kings of Leon, Keane, Damien Marley and Kanye West.

I'm not a big reggae fan, but I do like Marley's CD. I thought Keane and Kanye were great and enjoy their CDs, and like I've stated elsewhere on the forum, I find KoL much more likable on record than live.

Of all the openers U2 had, Arcade Fire gets my top pick, though. Love both their albums and they're incredible live. :up:

Was it the bass player for Institute or Kings who wore the same nasty wife beater at every show?

And then there was the guitarist who kept spitting into the walkway in btwn the stage and the audience....can't remember which band did what, it was all a blur..

I saw Razorlight and the Swedish group The Soundtrack Of Our Lives at our gig up here, and while I didn't enjoy Razorlight I was surprised about how good The Soundtrack Of Our Lives were.

I found out about Snow Patrol via an article in Q Magazine (The New Coldplay or something) and saw that they were an opening act for U2 as well so I decided to check them out. I'm happy I discovered them as they're one of my favourite groups now.

Arcade Fucking Fire
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

48085998pd4.jpg
48085998pd4.jpg
48085998pd4.jpg

What is funny is I taped every opening band I saw on Elevation (4 shows total, PJ Harvey and No Doubt X3) but I only taped Rocko and PJ this time around (1 show, 2 artists out of 7 1/2 different shows I taped)

Kings of Leon:drool: :drool: :drool: I went to their show recently. They're amazing! I LOVE their bass player - Jared. And on their new album, the opener (Koocked Up) sounds suspiciously Edge-esqe. A couple of their other tracks also kind of remind me of Edge....if he was southern fried. I think they picked a few tips on the road!

Weird. I think the wife and I skipped out on whoever opened in Cleveland. Usually don't do that, but we were having such a good time being out and childless. Must have been somebody that I didn't want to see in the first place...

It was rather nice grabbing a cab to the arena, walking in, and shortly after hearing "Wake Up" knowing that it was ON.

I only went to one show, and I missed Kanye because I was having dinner. I regret this.

I must say, none of the bands that supported them really appeal to me at all.

Chrisedge said:
What is funny is I taped every opening band I saw on Elevation (4 shows total, PJ Harvey and No Doubt X3) but I only taped Rocko and PJ this time around (1 show, 2 artists out of 7 1/2 different shows I taped)

Ok now that's just criminal, knowing that!

:sad:

ETA far as I'm concerned, Kanye OWNED that stage (and the ellipse ramp, numerous times over) more than any other opening act I saw. He just commanded it like he was headlining. Fucking awesome! Second to that in terms of a "stage-commanding" performance was Damian Marley, imo.

I didn't like Kings of Leon. I'd much rather have had The Soundtrack of Our Lives, Arcade Fire, Keane, Editors, the Killers, Franz Ferdinand etc.

Back
Top Bottom