NTSC/PAL for Joshua Tree DVD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jmelrose

The Fly
Heh...

I ordered my copy of The Joshua Tree (2CD/DVD) set from Amazon.uk when it first became available, because I am easily duped when I read that it will be available as a "super limited edition." *I* think, "Oh, it is extremely limited numbers," and not, "Oh, it's super, like, 'super-duper-wowee-amazing'." Anyway, once it became available on Amazon's US site I ordered it from there and kinda forgot that I ordered it from the UK site.

Anyway, long story short, I ordered it from Amazon and kinda forgot I did so until I got a shipping notification and today it arrived. I can't find any indication on the page about if the DVD is usable in US DVD players. It is a Region 0 DVD, but the US version says NTSC on it very clearly. This UK version does not.

I don't want to open it to find out, as I will give it as a gift to my brother if it will work here in the states (I was going to get it for him anyway) but I'll return it if it is useless to us here.

Anyway, now that the UK version is available, can anyone over there tell me what I should expect if I nervously watch my brother pop the DVD into a US player on Christmas day? :)

Thanks!

Last edited:
Don't know for sure but it's probably PAL. Cheaper DVD players will play PAL as well as NTSC; some brands I know will play PAL are TruTech, Apex, Ilo, and GPX.

jmelrose said:
Heh...

I ordered my copy of The Joshua Tree (2CD/DVD) set from Amazon.uk when it first became available, because I am easily duped when I read that it will be available as a "super limited edition." *I* think, "Oh, it is extremely limited numbers," and not, "Oh, it's super, like, 'super-duper-wowee-amazing'." Anyway, once it became available on Amazon's US site I ordered it from there and kinda forgot that I ordered it from the UK site.

Anyway, long story short, I ordered it from Amazon and kinda forgot I did so until I got a shipping notification and today it arrived. I can't find any indication on the page about if the DVD is usable in US DVD players. It is a Region 0 DVD, but the US version says NTSC on it very clearly. This UK version does not.

I don't want to open it to find out, as I will give it as a gift to my brother if it will work here in the states (I was going to get it for him anyway) but I'll return it if it is useless to us here.

Anyway, now that the UK version is available, can anyone over there tell me what I should expect if I nervously watch my brother pop the DVD into a US player on Christmas day? :)

Thanks!
I don't think it's worth the shot. Look up your DVD player online on sites that list region codes. You can find such sites by typing into google.com "DVD player region code" or something. If it's not there, your player can't play region 2 DVDs. This set will definitely be for Region 2 and almost definitely a PAL DVD. My parents bought me a Pulp DVD from England 2 months ago and I can't play it here. Just get the American box set.

There are 2 things you can do to get back your money for the UK set. Look for a scratch, dent or anything, so you can declare it defective and ask for a refund. They probably won't check anyway.

In future, never EVER buy a DVD from Europe or anywhere outside North America.

^ ditto. was going to say that. something similar happened to my friend who bought a PAL version of the popmart dvd, but i offered to trade b/c my dvd player is region free

tuwie said:
^ ditto. was going to say that. something similar happened to my friend who bought a PAL version of the popmart dvd, but i offered to trade b/c my dvd player is region free
That's pretty nice of you. So region-free players can play PAL also?

My Pulp DVD was made by a really cheap company that said it was region-free, but many reviews online said this was a lie. It's too bad. The whole region-specific thing was designed to protect various prices among regions, but they don't even make the DVD for North America, so the manufacturer really screwed up and lost out on many North American Pulp fan customers.

My DVD is in NTSC and was ordered from amazon.co.uk. Rather annoying as my TV displays it in lovely black & white rather than the full colour it should. :S

Lecai said:
My DVD is in NTSC and was ordered from amazon.co.uk. Rather annoying as my TV displays it in lovely black & white rather than the full colour it should. :S

Ah-ha! That's what I wondered...

Does anyone actually HAVE the set and can see on maybe the booklet inside if it is PAL or NTSC? Since the NA version is Region 0, I was wondering if maybe they just mastered 1 DVD worldwide (since Region 0, I believe, is essentially "no region") and that's what is in there. However, I'm stuck if I open it and it isn't...

Thanks for the input from all thus far!

jmelrose said:
Heh...

Thanks!

I have it, and the UK DVD is also NTSC and is also Region 0.

Lecai said:
That's terrible! You should request a replacement from amazon just in case. This is a disgusting for Universal to do this.

Back
Top Bottom