Non-album songs in Rate The Song series

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Deep In The Heart" needs to be included. It's an officially released B-side and I think it will do better than half these tracks. It's one of my personal non-album favorites from that era.

Yeah much of it is just ambient filler imo. They could have made something of them, perhaps. There are some exceptions like Luminous Times Deep In The Heart etc but by and large...

Agreed. There was a lot of potential there, but most are just not finished songs. I can enjoy them sometimes when I'm in a relaxing mood, but mostly, meh, I got better things to listen to.

How would people feel if I added a third round of voting for TUF/TJT/R&H unreleased songs so that a few more could fit in? I'd rather not delay this, but I can definitely see that there's a lot of demand for more attention to be paid to these songs, and I can understand that, even if they're not generally my cup of tea.

How would people feel if I added a third round of voting for TUF/TJT/R&H unreleased songs so that a few more could fit in? I'd rather not delay this, but I can definitely see that there's a lot of demand for more attention to be paid to these songs, and I can understand that, even if they're not generally my cup of tea.

Your call, since you're the one doing all the work! Seems like you've done a lot as it is. I love this era's b-sides, as opposed to say, the AB and POP b-sides, most of which I find unlistenable.

Nick66 said:
Your call, since you're the one doing all the work! Seems like you've done a lot as it is. I love this era's b-sides, as opposed to say, the AB and POP b-sides, most of which I find unlistenable.

Keep in mind that, if I do allow more b-sides in here, then I will have to allow more 90s b-aides in too, especially if anyone requests it at all

Hm, to be honest I don't really see the point. Sure some are really great, but I think you got the majority of popular bsides already. So I doubt the ones you'd add will make much of a difference.

I don't think it could hurt, if for nothing else to balance out a few of the more inexplicably high marks being handed out to lesser songs (imo)

I do believe that the 3 I mentioned merit consideration and rating, again just my opinion on it.

here is a comprehensive list of everything from tuf/tjt/rah, excluding covers. of course everything doesn't have to be included, just listing it all. :)

boomerang 1
boomerang 2
love comes tumbling
the three sunrises
sixty seconds in kingdom come
bass trap
luminous times
walk to the water
spanish eyes
deep in the heart
race against time
silver and gold
the sweetest thing
hallelujah (here she comes)
a room at the heartbreak hotel
disappearing act
yoshino blossom
beautiful ghost
wave of sorrow
desert of our love
rise up
drunk chicken

Really good to see so many giving most of these non-album TUF and JT tracks the very high scores they so richly deserve. With only a few exceptions, almost all of these gems could be prime cuts on a regular release.

Those who are always screaming for U2 to make music without caring whether it's on the radio or not should give a second listen to these songs. This is what U2 as art sounds like. Most of these are the Seurat's people miss on the way to join the crowds at the Mona Lisa.

Most of these are the Seurat's people miss on the way to join the crowds at the Mona Lisa.

Nicely said – great (and sadly, true) visual. I don't know if I would call any of these songs masterpieces, but there's a lot of really good stuff there that too often get missed.

People are going over the top rating what amounts to no more than pleasant ambient U2 Muzak the same type of 9 or 10 that a masterpiece like Streets or Aiwiy or UF deserve. Entirely different leagues altogether!

People are going over the top rating what amounts to no more than pleasant ambient U2 Muzak the same type of 9 or 10 that a masterpiece like Streets or Aiwiy or UF deserve. Entirely different leagues altogether!

As long as they thought highly of those songs before those songs were considered cool on Interference, it's all okay.

I have always thought the JT b-sides (especially Luminous Times, Walk to the Water & Deep in the Heart) were as good as anything on JT. In fact I'd take any of those 3 mentioned b-sides over TTYW, IGC and MOTD.

But if we're talking Bass Trap, 60SIKC & B1 then I completely agree.

I'll clap politely whilst barely suppressing a snicker.

I'll just go back to sleep and have strangers take pics of me then...

But yeah, I'm pretty surprised that some of these Bsides are scoring so high. If I have to continue voting compared to that, I might as well have to dish out only 10s for AB in its entirety.

gvox said:

Stuck In A Moment is the closest U2 ever got to muzak, IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom