No need for a title cos the post is pretty self-explanatory!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Zootlesque said:
Yes. I was tired of screaming that the last 2 albums are really uninspired lyrically... and decided to throw this party! :happy: :| :wink:

That isn't fair.

Want me to bring about the "sky, high" nonsense from the JT and AB days?

Bono has his favorite words. You found three. "Sky" is another. I read a brief snippet once where band members forbade Bono using certain words. He was good for a little while... ;)

Are Acrobat and Zooropa inferior songs in your eyes?

"Dream out loud."

We're boyond repeated words here. We're into phrase territory.

Hell, they even mean the same thing in both songs. Whereas "kneel & knees" have multiple meanings depending on the song: prayer, reverence, a hang-over, subjugation.

Don't be a hypocrite. Apply the same logic you've applied to ATYCLB/HTDAAB to Acrobat/Zooropa.

But on a greater scale, cause it's a repeated phrase, not word.

The Goal is indeed, Soul

It's A Beautiful GOAL!

Scored by a mole.....in a hole.

But seriously, even though the words are repeated, I can't say the overuse annoys me.

I think every "time period" of U2 has had words or themes that were used again and again.

It's just easier to bitch about them when you don't like that paticular album.

Someone could easily make the same exact thread for JT, or the 90's or whatever and they would get crucified.

doubleU said:
Someone could easily make the same exact thread for JT, or the 90's or whatever and they would get crucified.

Who says so? Do you know? Have you tried making one? Please don't make assumptions. And if you aren't, then show me an example... bump up an old thread that does what you claim!

"and now deep thoughts from Jack Handy".................you know if you play the last 2 U2 albums backwards you hear words like....luos, leenk and seenk...........wow. :laugh:

Zootlesque said:

Who says so? Do you know? Have you tried making one? Please don't make assumptions. And if you aren't, then show me an example... bump up an old thread that does what you claim!

Just basing it on the fact that there is a large number of posters in here that find that era to be untouchable.

No seriously... if you guys feel that the 80s or 90s had worse lyrics, why don't you make threads about it??? Is it because you get shot down... or is it because there's not much material to write negatively about? And so what if you get shot down.. or 'crucified' as doubleU put it? The people who criticize the 00s get crucified too! :shrug:

I think the point some people are trying to make is that the general double-standard around here is that it's ok and validated to say that you think U2 needs to change their ways because their 00 work is inferior and contrived and lame and shit and the worst thing U2 has ever done, but to have the opinion (which is perfectly fine) that the 90's material is inferior and contrived and lame and shit and the worst thing U2 has ever done is met with :eyebrow: :| :rolleyes: :down: :coocoo: Like you're some fucking loon that just got out his/her straight-jacket.

catlhere said:
...but to have the opinion (which is perfectly fine) that the 90's material is inferior and contrived and lame and shit and the worst thing U2 has ever done is met with :eyebrow: :| :rolleyes: :down: :coocoo: Like you're some fucking loon that just got out his/her straight-jacket.

And I'm asking... how do you know if that's true? Show me some thread bashing the 90s as proof. Is that too much to ask for?

I personally think whatever era of U2 you bash, you get bashed and crucified in return!

catlhere said:
Like you're some fucking loon that just got out his/her straight-jacket.

... and that made me laugh! :lmao:

Zootlesque said:
No seriously... if you guys feel that the 80s or 90s had worse lyrics, why don't you make threads about it??? Is it because you get shot down... or is it because there's not much material to write negatively about? And so what if you get shot down.. or 'crucified' as doubleU put it? The people who criticize the 00s get crucified too! :shrug:

I never said, the lyrics were worse. I mean some of them were, and some of them were superior.

But there's repeated words and themes there too. And it just seems very dead horse beating of you to start this thread.

Are we going to count how many times Bono used the word desire from UF to AB? Or how many desert references? What would be the point.

Are we also going to overlook the fact that the knees thing was so cool back in Mysterious Ways.

Every artist has certain themes, words, analogies that they use often. So?

i do have to say i kinda agree with catlhere that the 90s seem to be this untouchable decade that no one's allowed to knock, while i've seen oodles of posts and threads criticising various things about the 00s. sure there's been heaps of praise as well, i'm just saying it's been one-sided for the 90s but rather equal (although some might argue more negative) for the 00s.

as for the 80s, i have seen some criticism for things like "the lyrics for october were rushed" but it seemed to be presented in such a light that given the circumstances, it was understandable that the lyrics suffered.

and this is coming from a 90s fan :shrug:

Apply your own logic to Pop.

How often is "Sun" used:

Miami
Gone
Staring At The Sun
Do You Feel Loved
Last Night On Earth
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Whoa! That's 1/2 the record.

You have to hate Pop now.

Zootlesque said:

And I'm asking... how do you know if that's true? Show me some thread bashing the 90s as proof. Is that too much to ask for?
I personally think whatever era of U2 you bash, you get bashed and crucified in return!
... and that made me laugh! :lmao:
It's funny cuz it's true :wink:

Yes, any bashing of a certain era is met with angry faces. However, anyone who visits this area of Interference in particular can sense that there definitely is a "golden child" when it comes to U2 body of work. And it's the 90's. I think people get upset when people point out the favouritism, like it's some well hidden secret. It's nothing to be ashamed of, it's just something people notice.

doubleU said:

But there's repeated words and themes there too. And it just seems very dead horse beating of you to start this thread.

It was merely an observation that I made last night while I was on u2wanderer.org and was frankly astonished by the overuse of the words kneel and especially, soul on HTDAAB... not so much ATYCLB even. To me it comes off as Bono running out of ideas. :shrug: And no, I don't live to bash ATYCLB/HTDAAB and this is not my single point agenda as some may think. :wink:

doubleU said:

Are we going to count how many times Bono used the word desire from UF to AB? Or how many desert references? What would be the point.

The point would be to show the people that are critical of the 00s (such as myself) that this is nothing new. And that Bono has always done this. Otherwise you're just gonna keep hearing stuff about the 00s, if not from me then somebody else. There's no smoke without fire, you know. :whistle:

Bono can just be like Bill Cosby and make up his own words

would people complain then? :shrug:

KhanadaRhodes said:
as for the 80s, i have seen some criticism for things like "the lyrics for october were rushed" but it seemed to be presented in such a light that given the circumstances, it was understandable that the lyrics suffered.
I'd go as far as to say the 80's are hardly even mentioned on this forum unless it's The Unforgettable Fire. and even then it's a rarity. I'd go as far to say that if someone who had never heard of u2 or anything they had done visited this site, they would leave thinking october,war, and the joshua tree never existed, i can almost bet on it.

catlhere said:
I'd go as far as to say the 80's are hardly even mentioned on this forum unless it's The Unforgettable Fire. and even then it's a rarity. I'd go as far to say that if someone who had never heard of u2 or anything they had done visited this site, they would leave thinking october,war, and the joshua tree never existed, i can almost bet on it.
mayhaps :(

catlhere said:

I agree with October, but War and The Joshua Tree are still wildly successful and even my friends who don't like U2 know Sunday Bloody Sunday or the Holy Trinity of JT

LemonMacPhisto said:

I agree with October, but War and The Joshua Tree are still wildly successful and even my friends who don't like U2 know Sunday Bloody Sunday or the Holy Trinity of JT
Well of course, I meant literally someone who had NEVER heard of U2 (which would be scary) or any of their music. Not someone who's just unfamiliar with them. :)

MrBrau1 said:
Apply your own logic to Pop.

How often is "Sun" used:

Miami
Gone
Staring At The Sun
Do You Feel Loved
Last Night On Earth
If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Whoa! That's 1/2 the record.

You have to hate Pop now.

See, there's a valid counterpoint! I like this.

But I disagree. As mobvok intended with his post, I just don't think it was very obvious in those albums as to how many times a certain word was repeated. Maybe because the songwriting overall was much better? And back then, Bono never used to hammer his point home with as much subtlety as a brick in the face. Just my opinion.

Sad song sad song-11 o clock tick tock

I try to sing this song loud-Gloria

How long, how long must we sing this song-Sunday Bloody Sunday

I will sing, sing a new song-40

Like a song I have to singI sing it for you-Like a song

Do I ever feel dumb-I used to like early U2. That is until I noticed how many times the word "Song" comes up in the um, songs.

:|

catlhere said:
Well of course, I meant literally someone who had NEVER heard of U2 (which would be scary) or any of their music. Not someone who's just unfamiliar with them. :)

oh, now I see what you mean

there are pygmies out there who only listen to Megadeth :shrug:

Zootlesque said:

It was merely an observation that I made last night while I was on u2wanderer.org and was frankly astonished by the overuse of the words kneel and especially, soul on HTDAAB... not so much ATYCLB even. To me it comes off as Bono running out of ideas. :shrug: And no, I don't live to bash ATYCLB/HTDAAB and this is not my single point agenda as some may think. :wink:

And there you have it! Wake up and smell the coffee people! They've started making epic concept albums about kneeling and having soul!

^ Oh, but this does seem like an agenda.

Zootlesque said:

The point would be to show the people that are critical of the 00s (such as myself) that this is nothing new. And that Bono has always done this.

Just seems fairly obvious. I mean this thread has already had quite a few observations proving this.

Zootlesque said:

But I disagree. As mobvok intended with his post, I just don't think it was very obvious in those albums as to how many times a certain word was repeated. Maybe because the songwriting overall was much better? And back then, Bono never used to hammer his point home with as much subtlety as a brick in the face. Just my opinion.
so basically up until 2000, it was okay for bono to use the same word repeatedly in an album, but suddenly with the release of their past two albums, it's become not okay because you claim the songwriting's weak?

lame :|

KhanadaRhodes said:

Okay. That's your opinion... just as I'm entitled to mine, right?

I don't understand why people can't just go 'Ohh... so that's what you think? I don't agree but okay... I still respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it.'

It's like it's in our blood to fight, argue and prove the other person wrong! :mac:

As catlhere just said, let's agree to disagree. :wink:

Zootlesque said:

What about this?

MrBrau1 said:
Are Acrobat and Zooropa inferior songs in your eyes?

"Dream out loud."

We're boyond repeated words here. We're into phrase territory.

Hell, they even mean the same thing in both songs. Whereas "kneel & knees" have multiple meanings depending on the song: prayer, reverence, a hang-over, subjugation.

Don't be a hypocrite. Apply the same logic you've applied to ATYCLB/HTDAAB to Acrobat/Zooropa.

But on a greater scale, cause it's a repeated phrase, not word.

Zootlesque said:
Okay. That's your opinion... just as I'm entitled to mine, right?

I don't understand why people can't just go 'Ohh... so that's what you think? I don't agree but okay... I still respect your opinion. I just don't agree with it.'

It's like it's in our blood to fight, argue and prove the other person wrong! :mac:

As catlhere just said, let's agree to disagree. :wink:
i just think you're being harsher on atyclb and htdaab because you dislike the albums but the same thing on other albums gets a free pass.

i think they've written shitty songs pre-atyclb and they've written shitty songs post-atyclb. you could look at every album and at least one song might at least have a verse that would make you groan or roll your eyes. i just think you're being a bit too heavy-handed with the 90s bias.

Back
Top Bottom