MERGED --> Sssooo, the album COVER... + Bomb on the HTDAAB back cover + Opinions on..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aardvark747

Blue Crack Addict
Sssooo, the album COVER...

For all those ppl who, a few weeks ago were dissing the picture on the cover, some even saying they would go as far as not buying the album(!?), how do you all feel now, after listening to it?
Are there still some of you who wont be buying the album?
And does the cover fit the album? (Another huge debate that raged not so long ago, bizzarely imo!):huh:

Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing last night Aardvark747. Now that the album is out who gives a rat's @$$ about the cover? I mean if someone is willing to pass up this gem because they don't like the picture on the cover....well then they are obviously dealing with issues I won't attempt to uncover....:wink:

I get the feeling that now that we've all heard the songs--or that most of us have, anyhow--the album cover won't be so big a deal; if somebody decide's not to purchase an album based on the cover, I think something's kinda' off...

That said, I love the album. I think the cover is a great photograph, but unlike most of their other albums, I don't think that it fits the mood of the album at all.

The cover to the last album was boring, predictable and bland...just like the music. The Zooropa cover was chaotic, rough, and untamed...just like the music. There are obviosly many more examples of this...from Boy to Pop.

This cover doesn't seem to fit the album in my opinion, but I DO like the way it looks...I guess that I'll survive, you know? It could be a whole lot worse...

JOFO said:
album rules.
cover sucks.
who cares?

I do! And plenty of others a couple of weeks ago did too! I havent heard the album yet, but cos of all the slagging that the cover got recently, and the fact that some ppl on here were defiant they wouldnt buy it for that reason, I wanted to know now some of them have heard it, do they stick by that decision?

I don't think anyone actually said they wouldn't buy the album. A lot of the people who didn't like the cover just said it would affect their whole album experience, (if I recall correctly).

Not sure what that meant, since I'm one of the cover lovers, I can't related.

I hope things work out for the cover dislikers though.

I didn't see anyone saying they would not buy the album because of the cover.

And yes, it affects the whole "new U2 album experience".

Want you or not, the cover IS part of the record.

Said that, it's a TERRIBLE cover, boring, ugly, with Bono's head looking very "photoshop", Edge's looking like hes in some kind of middle age crisis trying to look careless and punk...

Well, it's a bad bad cover.

I'd prefer the cover to be just like the limited box cover... No picture...

A terrible cover for a great record...

U2_Guy said:
I didn't see anyone saying they would not buy the album because of the cover.

And yes, it affects the whole "new U2 album experience".

Want you or not, the cover IS part of the record.

Said that, it's a TERRIBLE cover, boring, ugly, with Bono's head looking very "photoshop", Edge's looking like hes in some kind of middle age crisis trying to look careless and punk...

Well, it's a bad bad cover.

I'd prefer the cover to be just like the limited box cover... No picture...

A terrible cover for a great record...

What he said ...and you can't even see all of Larry. :eyebrow:

I dont see anything wrong with the artwork on the album as well as the singles...it is simple and effective.

it looks like edge is wearing one of those sunglasses OAP's tends to wear. And half the members of u2 are missing legs:eyebrow:

i don't like it:|

Anyone know if the box set includes a jewel case? I'l like to store my cd with the others, just curiois really! lol :wink:

I haven't heard the album yet... although i bought two of the Vertigo singles today, and i dig the graphical scheme they use... An article about this punk style (and its soviet origin) is on interference, very interesting.

I didn't get the font at first, but after reading that article i understood the choice better. I still think that how they use the font on the cover is poor, but i do like the cover as a whole.

A special mention goes to the special edition cover which really is something. Minimalistic and clean graphics. Love it.

I can't stand the cover. It doesn't suit the music at all. But that doesn't matter - the music is great. U2 could have put a coffee bean on the cover, and I wouldn't have cared less. When it's all said and done, the only thing that really matters is the music.

My guess is that they rushed the cover, had the vertigo single identity established and applied a few attributes to a very lazy photo. Is this photo by Anton?

C'mon!

The album i sincredible, but the cover is soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo bad, it hurts. I honestly do not understand how they chose it. Prefer the atmospheric look of the 2005 calendar cover.

If you shout... said:

The cover to the last album was boring, predictable and bland...

Actually, that is true for the cover of this one. Easily tied with October for the worst ever.

With a title like that, they are sitting down, black and white (again, after such effective use on ATYCLB), and one word: Edge. Trying oh so hard to look cool.
:no:

...ends up like a bunch of 40 years old waiting for the bloody bus...

Such a terrible cover...

And Antoin did some wonderful work in the past...

Why not the limited box cover or even the Vertigo single cover?

I think the cover will be interesting to examine up close. There may be some intentional visual tricks or symbolism in it. They probably doctor a lot of their photos. There's probably something deeper going on much like the "J33-3" reference to the bible on the atyclb cover which you don't necessarily "see" at first glance.

But at first glance I agree this is an odd and unimpressive cover.

I think ATYCLB will be regarded as a classic album cover, as will this one....I haven't heard any of the new album yet (I love torture) so I don't know if the cover fits the content. But, I think they went with a cover that could fit the atmosphere of any album they put out. For example, didn't want a cover to sway people's opinions of the songs. Wanted it to be about the music.

believer75 said:
I think ATYCLB will be regarded as a classic album cover, as will this one....I haven't heard any of the new album yet (I love torture) so I don't know if the cover fits the content. But, I think they went with a cover that could fit the atmosphere of any album they put out. For example, didn't want a cover to sway people's opinions of the songs. Wanted it to be about the music.

Your name really suits you: believer.

innocent_eyes said:
Anyone know if the box set includes a jewel case? I'l like to store my cd with the others, just curiois really! lol :wink:

No, the box set will come in a hardbook case (similar to Green Day's American Idiot) with the CD and DVD enclosed in slits. The regular and DVD versions will be in jewel cases, though.

:wink:

withashout said:
There's probably something deeper going on much like the "J33-3" reference to the bible on the atyclb cover which you don't necessarily "see" at first glance.

???
:eyebrow:

U2_Guy said:
...ends up like a bunch of 40 years old waiting for the bloody bus...

:lol:

Now that you mention it, that's exactly what it looks like!

Back
Top Bottom