MERGED--> Did anyone see + New 'One' Music Vid has just premiered on C4 (British TV)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i saw it, with no audio, and the original one playing, the images were good, but the eternal question, why bother with this instead of something new?

i guess, but come on, something new wouldve been better, even she can see that, or at lest not a songle

great video, great remake of a great song.

MJB is awesome, her voice is spectacular, and I love her vocals on the new song.

I'm happy a complete legend in the R&B world wanted to cover my favorite song of all time.

dabiggestu2fan said:
Didn't really like it. I thought MJB coming in was like showing how rich she is or she was showing off. Plus i didn't like how she sang ONE sometimes it didnt seem like the same song. Also didnt like how it seemed MJB was the whole spotlight. I give it two thumbs down

I know the collaberation of One is on MJB's new album, but the video almost reduces Bono to a cameo appearance & Edge, Adam and Larry to a back-up band. It looks like the band is bending over backwards to give MJB the spotlight with their song & I don't really understand why they are doing this. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe U2 is appealing to possible new fans with this cover. Existing fans seem deeply divided over it & might be more accepting of a new song collaberation rather than changing a U2 icon.

Last edited:
SunBloc said:

The only explanation I can think of is that maybe U2 is appealing to possible new fans with this cover. Existing fans seem deeply divided over it & might be more accepting of a new song collaberation rather than changing a U2 icon.

Have you seen the stats lately? U2 out selling every other artist on this tour, ever!!
Quite frankly this changes nothing.. They are collaberating with another artist that they admire and the fact that you and or many others hate the collaboration - matter's none at all.
They will do what they damn well please.. because they can.:yes:
You'll just have to live with or without it.. :wink:

I liked the video a lot b/c of the film stock and the shots... its like a hip hop video with an Anton sensibility/ look. Its cool that U2 played it like the live version instead of it being totally redone (which I was so afraid of) or Mary J just singing karaoke over it. Definitely a better video than most of U2's other music videos (alah Original of the Species).

The song was great. Obviously its a studio recording BUT its the best version of One Mary J has sung that I've heard to this point and Bono didn't suck in this version either while dueting.

SunBloc said:

I know the collaberation of One is on MJB's new album, but the video almost reduces Bono to a cameo appearance & Edge, Adam and Larry to a back-up band. It looks like the band is bending over backwards to give MJB the spotlight with their song & I don't really understand why they are doing this. The only explanation I can think of is that maybe U2 is appealing to possible new fans with this cover. Existing fans seem deeply divided over it & might be more accepting of a new song collaberation rather than changing a U2 icon.
I just assume it's because this particular version of the song is off of MJB's new album. Also, I think the band got quite a bit exposure in the video... :scratch:

SunBloc said:

The video reduces the guys to cameo/ backing band appearances b/c Mary J's the one singing the majority of the song until they start dueting (Bono and her though Bono got some camera play early on as well).

I mean thats the same for like any if not almost every band video. When do you see people/ music videos focusing on the "fookin" drummer or a Colin Greenwood or a Nick Zinner in a music video. Its usually the Scott Stapps, Thom Yorkes of the band who get camera. Larry Mullen Jr fulfilling his dream to become an actor was one of those exceptions (in Electrical Storm).

To be honest, this is as good of a collaboration as U2's done with the majority of artists that they have worked with. IMO it could be up there with Johnny Cash, Robbie Robertson, and Bill Preston. Definitely better than the B.B King duet and the Bob Dylan thing. WAAAAAAY better than Bono's duet with Wyclef.

Last edited:
sue4u2, I take it from your smilie, you are being sarcastic???? Anyway, as I said in an earlier post - I think the video is ok. I never said I hated it. Everybody here knows U2's stats, and we all know their choices have gotten them to the level they are today. I have no problem with your opinion about little details of a collaberation video being a little different than mine, but I won't stoop to shooting you down for having it. Everyone here is entitled to his or her own opinion. :)

Last edited:
I think the video is a bit dull, but I'm not a fan of performance videos in general. I guess my problem with it is "what is it trying to say?"
I guess the whole not trying thing is cool at the moment.

As for the song, I think it is a good revision of the original song. As for people saying why don't they do another song - people have always made cover songs and will continue to do so. If she wanted to cover it, thats fine - but she wanted the band to be in it - so credit to her for that decision.

I am curious to see if it is officially credited as MJB FEAT U2 or MJB & U2, since that will make a difference to awards/sales etc will it not?

I wouldn't mind seeing them play the song on the final 10 shows in this way, with Bono & The Edge sharing vocal duties. Might be a good way to reinvigorate it after not missing a show ever.

Booyah said:
I still would have preferred if they'd recorded a new song together, instead of recording something that everyone will compare to the original. Bono seems to have lyrics coming out of every orifice sometimes, so I'm sure they could have done something new.

Agreed.

I still hate this version of One (well, original's better, MJB screams - don't sing there - and I can't almost hear Bono, she altered every note of the original vocal tablature, and... this is a rock song, not an R'n'B song), but ok, the video is not thaaat bad, MJB looks very beautiful there (I think she's beautiful, don't you think?), I like Bono's overexposed chest. I only complain that Adam and Larry appear few times and that the video is credited as MJB f/ U2 being this a U2 song and she gets too much spotlight... It can be her album, but it's THEM (U2) song.

It sounds like U2 doing a poor job covering themselves and hiring an african-american backup singer to help out.

The live version was ok. But taking it further to a single makes no sense at all.

I think they tarnished a beautiful song with a mediocre little foot-note.

Back
Top Bottom