MERGED ---> Describing 'City of Blinding Lights' + I hate people who think U2 is...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
Describing 'City of Blinding Lights'

Heard the un-edited City on NY's 104.3 today on my way back from work. Was singing along and really enjoying it until the point when it was over and DJ Ken Dashow goes 'What a great song... very Coldplay-esque, don't you think? esp. the keyboards?'. I was like whaaaaat...?? more like Speed Of Sound is U2-esque! :|

Sorry I know there've been lots of COBL threads but I just had to let this out. The other thing I don't understand is why did they even release an edited version when they can and do play the unedited version on the radio??? :huh:

It seems it's the in-thing to get stuff the wrong way around and accuse U2 of copying Coldplay when anyone with any sense knows it's the opposite.

It bothers me when people seem to act that Coldplay were the first band to use piano/keyboards in their songs or brought it back into use in popular music....when U2 have been using keyboards since October:coocoo:

namkcuR said:
Is there anywhere I can dl the radio edit of COBL? I've never heard it.

is the radio edit the same as the signal mix?..if so i can the single mix to you....really its just a shortened version of it...

I hate people who think U2 is a Coldplay ripoff

I was listening to the radio today, for those of you in the NYC area, it was Q104.3. Anyway, COBL was on and after the song finished, the Radio DJ said something like this:

"That was U2. It sounds a little Coldplay-esque. I can almost hear Chris Martin's voice."

:mad: :madspit: :scream: :censored: :angry: :banghead: :yell:

LJT said:
It bothers me when people seem to act that Coldplay were the first band to use piano/keyboards in their songs or brought it back into use in popular music....when U2 have been using keyboards since October:coocoo:

Actually, since Boy. See Into The Heart and A Day Without Me.

Axver said:

Actually, since Boy. See Into The Heart and A Day Without Me.

Nope Avxer you are completely wrong....wow you have really lost it haven't you? your bringing up the same facts time and time again repeating yourself constantly..the website your involved with is just so easy on the eye, its not 'niche' or quirky enough...why don't you experiment more Avxer....everything is so predictable...why do you never change your facts? they are so static...bring back the ZooTV setlists during the setlist parties.....your a sellout:madspit:

oh yeh you have also lost your coolness......

haha you were right of course....the day you are completely wrong U2 should quit:wink:

my friends always say crap about U2 copying Coldplay

until I showed them stills of the Lemon video and COBL video compared to the Speed of Sound vid

Let's say I proved them wrong:wink:

Re: I hate people who think U2 is a Coldplay ripoff

That's like saying Zeppelin in the late 70s was copying Boston, Styx or Foreigner.

Infinitum98 said:
I was listening to the radio today, for those of you in the NYC area, it was Q104.3. Anyway, COBL was on and after the song finished, the Radio DJ said something like this:

"That was U2. It sounds a little Coldplay-esque. I can almost hear Chris Martin's voice."

:mad: :madspit: :scream: :censored: :angry: :banghead: :yell:

LJT said:

Nope Avxer you are completely wrong....wow you have really lost it haven't you? your bringing up the same facts time and time again repeating yourself constantly..the website your involved with is just so easy on the eye, its not 'niche' or quirky enough...why don't you experiment more Avxer....everything is so predictable...why do you never change your facts? they are so static...bring back the ZooTV setlists during the setlist parties.....your a sellout:madspit:

oh yeh you have also lost your coolness......

haha you were right of course....the day you are completely wrong U2 should quit:wink:

:lmao:

Bonobot 2.0 is getting on my nerves, but not nearly as much as his fans. Some people need to be punched in the face for their stupidity. "omg u2 iz copying coldplay!!!11"

Omigod, The Beatles are influenced by every band that came after them!!!

Omigod, let's name our band HOOBASTANK!!

No. You all lose.

:huh:

Yes, usually the bands that come later in history influence bands that came before.

Guess it depends on the radio station, whether they play the edited version or the full song.

KROQ (alternative/modern rock) in Los Angeles, was playing the full song a couple months back, quite a number of times, even before "All Because of You" was officially released as a single.

If anyone on KROQ were to say U2 sound Coldplay-esque, they'd be ridiculed, (possibly on air) by the other DJ's, many of whom are U2 fans, or at least know better than to say something so inane.

Another station, a classic rock station, (U2 is considered classic rock, but their new songs also get played), has been playing "City" full song, off and on for months now.

thrillme said:
Guess it depends on the radio station, whether they play the edited version or the full song.

KROQ (alternative/modern rock) in Los Angeles, was playing the full song a couple months back, quite a number of times, even before "All Because of You" was officially released as a single.

If anyone on KROQ were to say U2 sound Coldplay-esque, they'd be ridiculed, (possibly on air) by the other DJ's, many of whom are U2 fans, or at least know better than to say something so inane.

Another station, a classic rock station, (U2 is considered classic rock, but their new songs also get played), has been playing "City" full song, off and on for months now.

Same with one of the independent station's here. If someone said that to 92ZEW, the DJ's would rake them over the coals for their uninformed music knowledge...and just plain stupidity..

The same DJ did it again! COBL was playing and after it was over he was like.. 'I really think U2 were listening to Coldplay before recording this song.... the keyboards...' or something like that. :|

Zootlesque said:
The same DJ did it again! COBL was playing and after it was over he was like.. 'I really think U2 were listening to Coldplay before recording this song.... the keyboards...' or something like that. :|

WHAT KIND OF MOTHER FUCKIN SHIT SACKIN CRAP POSIN COKE SNIFFIN CUNT LICKIN DJ IS THIS????????????????

HEY DJ, FUCK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

My friends are generally pretty accepting of my U2 obsession, but occasionally I'll get questions like:

"Don't you think all their songs sound the same?"
No. :rolleyes:

"Aren't they in their forties or something? That's too old to be making music."
No it isn't.

(You can see I'm very good with comebacks :wink: )

And all of them love Coldplay to death.... :mad: :wink:

Zootlesque said:

I would like to have that DJ's home address. :yes:

I love both bands, but U2 more than Coldplay. So don't kill me just yet...

The fact that Coldplay has been called "The Next U2" scares me. Let's compare the two shall we?

U2-From Dublin
Coldplay-Each member from a different spot in Britain

U2-Recorded first EP in the late 70's.
Coldplay-Recorded first EP in '98, 2 years after forming the band.

U2-Sound has progressed from gritty punk rock, to a more traditional classic rock-n-roll sound, to gospel rock, to the metal like era, and back into hard rock with the latest albums. Have used keyboards and pianos in the early stages of their career and other moments in later albums.
Coldplay-Has used the same formula of writing and performing in their 7+ years as a band. Have used pianos all their career. Style has not changed.

U2-Band members are all at least 43 years of age.
Coldplay-Oldest band member is 28 years of age.

Back
Top Bottom